1. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
    Hi! i want to mod my ps2, and wonder what modchip is best for what i want to do. i want to get rid of region lock, play game backups on self-burned dvds, and get bether graphics, like 1080p/i. Any good examples of modchips for those purposes?

2. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    There exist a couple of different modchips, but I have personally had great experience with a Matrix Infinity modchip; that is the one I'd recommend if you want to install one. It lets you do what you are after, although it doesn't let you play games with better graphics -- you would need something like citrus3000psi and chriz2600 is currently developing (they had a working prototype in 2019 but haven't released anything yet).

Nowadays, people rarely install modchips in their PS2s as there are software alternatives that are much simpler. If you have a phat PS2, I'd recommend FHDB with an internal HDD with a network adapter, as this lets you access homebrew software from the browser as well as play games from the HDD with OPL. I personally have this in my PS2 and it works great. If you have a slim PS2, you are stuck with FMCB, which is the same as FHDB except it runs from the memory card as the slim doesn't support internal HDDs. With this, you can run games through e.g. an SMB connection with your computer/raspberry pi or USB (note that it is then constrained by USB1.1 speeds, which may affect gameplay). Neither of these lets you play backups or region free games via disc, unless you patch them with ESR. I've never tried ESR patching of games, so I cannot attest to the results of that. A tutorial covering both FHDB and FMCB can be found here. Hope this helps!

RiPPERD likes this.
  3. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
    Thanks for all the info :) are there any softmod alternatives to getting better graphics, and is it also possible to combine a modchip and softmod?

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    modchip and softmod together = most likely. I have a modchip in my ps2 (matrix infinity clone). it works quite well. I've never soft-modded, because I have over 300 burns, and it would take too long to convert them. I also have a modchip with my wii (a wiikey version 1), and I've soft modded the system as well. no issues with either working with the other.

Snomannen_kalle likes this.
  5. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    There might be some adjustments that can be made in OPL, but I think they are game specific. And yes, you can definitely combine a modchip with a softmod, I have that in my PS2, although it might cause some problems with FHDB (at least I had that with my PS2) but it works great with FMCB. I rarely use the features of the chip anymore though, as I mostly run my games with OPL on my internal HDD.

godreborn likes this.
  6. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
    Ok, so by combining them i can get better graphics, and also play games from other regions, and play self-burned games?

7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I don't know about better graphics.

8. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
    I was watching metaljesusrocks on youtube, and he had a softmodded ps2 with 1080 p graphics that he compared with original ps3 and the ps2 had better graphics

9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    btw, I had to use a framemeister for psx games, because my tv is too new and doesn't allow for 240p. otherwise, I'd get a black screen with them.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

he might be using an upscaler.

10. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
    Yeah, but the gameplay and fps was better too, he compared with a lord of the rings game that were released for both ps2 and ps3

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    the ps2 is far inferior to the ps3, so I don't see how that's possible.

12. mr_pancake

OP mr_pancake Newbie
    Newcomer

Norway
  13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    here's what mine looks like upscaled to 1080p:

20200613_043815_HDR.jpg

14. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    I'm pretty sure he's comparing the PS2 game being played on both the PS2 and the PS3, not comparing games released for both systems, lol.

15. k7ra

k7ra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

PS2 now play backups from usb drive almost without isues.
    Buy or made FreeMCBoot and play from usb

Last opl update fix freezes from usb games so far

Last edited by k7ra, Jan 15, 2021
  16. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You can buy a PS2 memory card from ebay for $10 that should come with FreeMcboot. I am thinking you rather seek a PS2 emulator for enhanced graphics the PS2 only have 480p with the avi cables. With the PS2 emulator you can upscale the games.

I have my old 250gb PS2 but I rather just use my computer with the PS2 emulator. It takes too much time putting games on the IDE Hard Drive also I can burn games (I did in the past) it will just wear out your laser remember the PS2 is over 20 years old. PS2 emulator is the way to go

17. k7ra

k7ra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

On aliexpress can be found too.
    Can be played from external drive, but I get fat and made FreeHDBoot with OSD update.
    Games can be launched from hdd managment or opl now
    Oh, I made sata mod to ide adapter too
    (Dawn, need to finish icon fix for hdd managment. 50 games left...)

Last edited by k7ra, Jan 15, 2021
    Sophie-bear likes this.
  18. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I had a bad experience with aliexpress I waited 2 months for a RCM loader just for them to tell me they canceled the order.

19. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I may one day softmod a ps2, but for now I'm pretty happy. my old ps2 with official matrix infinity would never run mega man x3. it would often read it as a music cd, since you can play it in your cd player. the new ps2 I bought about two or three years ago plays it very well. my laser is only about the same age. my first one lasted about 12 years.

20. RiPPERD

RiPPERD GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i use swap magic 3.8 + coder on my ps2 lol

pretty sure there is some memory card mod now to play backups anyway... also im sure i saw some java (possibly) mod for the actual drive itself

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - modchip,