Mjpeg Converter

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by LightyKD, Nov 21, 2016.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a video converter that can convert files into mjpeg format. Total Video Converter is usually my go to program but there isn't a mjpeg option. :/ -any (free) suggestions?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not sure why we are in site discussions but hey.

As a rule I don't look for converters unless it is for a very specific end result. Searching for converters ends with lies, scams and adware.

What you would instead want to have is a program which can speak to windows codecs of various forms and output things there, you then tell that to give you what you want. I have many but most of my choices are based upon my knowing video and liking to at least have the option to twiddle all the knobs so I don't know if I want to suggest them (if someone asks me tomorrow to get something to type basic documents on I am not going to try teaching them tex, same deal with some of this but it is not universal).

Anyway motion jpeg/mjpg is a crap format, and used in a variety of hardware decoders for all sorts of things so use it if you will, but a well known and well understood one so not too hard to find things for. Most of the times I have needed it in windows then the ffdshow builds that have the encoder have done what I want ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ ). I would then feed it to virtualdub (a nice program but not as simple as it could be if you just want to convert) and get it to output in a nice avi all loaded with mjpeg but you have other options for VFW encoder frontends. The ffdshow encoder is more fiddly than the likes of xvid as you will have to select the format from a dropdown and then get the options for it but nothing too drastic.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12242&d=1335798356 has a picture that should get you started.