Miyamoto says there wont be a 3ds revision

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I still laugh at everyone who expects a second circle pad in a future revision. Out of about 200 games only 7 or so actually use it. They don't force an addon into a hardware revision for a measly 3% of games. If that was the case, the DSLite would have had motion and rumble and guitar hero buttons built in.
A second analog stick cannot be compared with rumble and guitar hero buttons. Just because only a few games support the second analog stick doesn't mean that future games won't support this second analog stick.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I still laugh at everyone who expects a second circle pad in a future revision. Out of about 200 games only 7 or so actually use it. They don't force an addon into a hardware revision for a measly 3% of games. If that was the case, the DSLite would have had motion and rumble and guitar hero buttons built in.
A second analog stick cannot be compared with rumble and guitar hero buttons. Just because only a few games support the second analog stick doesn't mean that future games won't support this second analog stick.

And it doesn't mean that any future games will.

When very few games make use of a peripheral device, It would be a waste of money to develop that device into an inbuilt feature of a pre-existing product.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
not really, Nintendo usually begins R&D work on a successor after a new console or handheld is released
In the case of handhelds, they usually begin R&D work on a revision :tpi:

I was being facetious. However, while we all know they start work on the next one the moment this one hits the stores, it's not really common for manufacturers to actually admit they're working on the next console this early in the current console's life cycle. It's not good PR. At this point they usually claim it's the last console they'll ever make because it's perfect in every way and yadda yadda yadda, usual marketing speak. So he should have said something along the lines of "Nintendo is more focused on creating quality content for the 3DS" or "it's absolutely perfect the way it is" or maybe "focusing on WiiU" or something, not "we're not working on the 3DS because we're working on a successor." And I'm like, "you're not supposed to say that, Dilbert! This is why we don't let you talk to customers!"

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
not really, Nintendo usually begins R&D work on a successor after a new console or handheld is released
In the case of handhelds, they usually begin R&D work on a revision :tpi:

I was being facetious. However, while we all know they start work on the next one the moment this one hits the stores, it's not really common for manufacturers to actually admit they're working on the next console this early in the current console's life cycle. It's not good PR. At this point they usually claim it's the last console they'll ever make because it's perfect in every way and yadda yadda yadda, usual marketing speak. So he should have said something along the lines of "Nintendo is more focused on creating quality content for the 3DS" or "it's absolutely perfect the way it is" or maybe "focusing on WiiU" or something, not "we're not working on the 3DS because we're working on a successor." And I'm like, "you're not supposed to say that, Dilbert! This is why we don't let you talk to customers!"
It's Miyamoto, for most nintendo fans he's like a God or something (personally I liked him since he's ambidextrous and made link left handed since he likes his left hand over his right, and mario ambidextrous like him), so no matter what Miyamoto says or does, people will still worship the ground he walks on (clearly im exaggerating, but fans sure love anything he says).

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While i respect your opinion, i dont agree with your logic.
Guitar buttons are for a handful of games, 4 to be exact. But every one of those games was a Guitar Hero type of game.
Rumble on the other hand, covers 56 titles of the DS library, 55 if you notice that Bowsers Inside Story for the US version. I honestly wish the DS had many many more games that utilized rumble. I only owned two games that have it.
I feel like rumble wasnt used as well as it could have been.

Anyways. Now that the 3DS is much more home to 3D games, i feel like the second pad is necessary. Remember playing Golden Eye on the 64 with one joystick? I dont know. I feel like the second pad is enough to make the revision.

Ive been wrong before, and wont be surprised if the revised 3DS comes without one, but i feel like it will make for better games. Whena company creates a game that requires a peripheral, especially one that ISNT packaged with a game, there is a lower chance someone will buy the game. Now that point is from my own personal experience. I havent bought Red Steel 2, Skyward Sword, or anything else that requires a Wii Motion Plus. I cant be bothered to buy something extra to play a game that I also have to spend money on to even try.

If the circle pad isnt implemented, i feel it will have a negative impact on game development and eventual acceptance of the circle pad.

This opinion is brought to you respectfully, of course.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disappointing if true, so I'm definitely rooting for it not to be. I'd at least like an XL version, if nothing else; give me that and I'll be a happy man.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have to say I am a lil saddened by that prospect. Now just to be clear. I do NOT intend to incite a flame war so please bear with me for a sec, okay? :)

Always have been a late adopter. While I understand why some people are sore about a revision "so soon", I personally think that it isn't right to say that a revision is unwarranted especially regarding a second nub. Sure it is not essential but why not? It would be a nice addition which increases the choice you have. Don't want to use it? Then don't. Like it? Knock yourself out. Saying that it is unnecessary because not all games need it is like saying the GBA SP was stupid because it had backlight which is not essential (though a nice addition imho). Or a lithium ion battery in place of the AA battery. You get the idea :)

The time factor is a much more debatable so all I can say is that with the various DS revisions, I wouldn't be surprised whenever good ol' Ninty decides to revise their console.

Having said all that, I would actually not be surprised if the 'next gen console' is essentially a revamped revision of the 3DS under a different name with some other add-ons. To be frank, I somewhat still regard the 3DS sort of as an extension to the DS family. But that is not the point LOL.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would not be surprised to see an xl version or similar come out after the wii u. Slightly bigger, stick a 2nd stick on it and you've pretty much got an alternative to the tablet pad. Want a 2nd one, buy the 3ds and use that.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would not be surprised to see an xl version or similar come out after the wii u. Slightly bigger, stick a 2nd stick on it and you've pretty much got an alternative to the tablet pad. Want a 2nd one, buy the 3ds and use that.

they would have to add bluetooth support to the 3ds to do that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...