Missing otp.bin

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by yusuo, Mar 30, 2016.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I've got a9lh installed and all works good, emunand and cakes running fine but I'm missing otp.bin
    I deleted this by accident as soon as I got the hack working properly.
    I've still got all my nand backups from the process.
    How would I got about getting the otp, is there an easier way seeing as it's already up and running?

2. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    As far as I understand, when you install a9lh with the guide, it uses your otp then, and it's ok to take it off your card. It's what I did, but I also listened to the guide and made several backups of the file.

3. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So, how do I get it back

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You would have to downgrade to 2.1 again (presumably by flashing the 2.1 emuNAND that you used before, to sysNAND) to get it in its raw form, even with A9LH. You don't really need it again though, since AuroraWright's SafeA9LHInstaller can handle updating or swithing A9LH forks without the OTP directly.

But if you still want it anyway, backup your current sysNAND, flash the 2.1 emuNAND you used and dump it, then go back to your current sysNAND dump.

Last edited by daxtsu, Mar 30, 2016
    yusuo and CrispyYoshi like this.
  5. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So I just flash 2.1, get the otp and then restore my backup, all without leaving otp helper

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You would have to reboot into 2.1, but otherwise, yeah. If you meant trying to flash, dump, and restore, all still while on A9LH, that won't work. You have to enter sysNAND 2.1 for a couple minutes so you can dump the OTP. There's no avoiding it.

7. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Cool, I'll just go back to the part of the guide that covers this and follow it to the letter from there

8. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I figured if I had done this I would of bricked my console, potentially. Surely I would need to firstly restore a copy of my pre a9lh sysnand and stuck cakes to boot into emunand. Wouldn't it of been the case that if I had just installed 2.1 to a a9lh sysnand things would have gone very wrong as I'm not sure but I don't think a9lh would of either blocked the firmware due to signature blocks or may not have been compatible with 2.1

9. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Not really. A9LH isn't the one that provides FIRM0/FIRM1 protection, it's your CFW. Using Decrypt9 to flash an entire 2.1 backup would overwrite the entire NAND, wiping out A9LH. D0k3's working on a new version of Decrypt9 that will preserve A9LH when flashing, but no CFWs support loading 2.1 yet (and that still wouldn't let you get your OTP). If you want to get your OTP, you'll have to take a small risk.

If I'm wrong, someone can correct me, but there's no way to re-dump the OTP without being purely on 2.1 with no A9LH trickery going on that I am aware of.

PokeAcer likes this.
  10. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    There is a chance you can use something like Recuva to recover the deleted file