Hardware Minor Xbox One controller concerns

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just got my Xbox One controller from Amazon the other day, and first and foremost, the buttons, analog sticks, triggers, etc feel absolutely solid. The grips are comfortable, and the material used feels really good as well, but, there is one anomaly that concerns me. On the right side of the shell, I can feel it slightly "clicking", nowhere near enough that I can wedge a fingernail in there to separate it, but enough to where I can press down and hear it click. Is this a normal occurrence in these controllers? Should I be worried? And if so, do places like Gamestop and the like offer repairs to where they can tighten that part of the shell to where it doesn't have that minor click? I want this to last as long as possible, I just want to be sure it's nothing to worry about. I'm thinking as long as I grip the controller normally, it's fine, as it doesn't click when I hold it, but I want to make sure. Thanks :P

Again, the controller works perfectly, the buttons all feel solid, the material itself feels good to grip, but it's only doing this when I willingly gently press down on the right side with my finger, should I be worried and if so, I want to know if it can be repaired with somehow tightening it with a screwdriver.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
So, I just got my Xbox One controller from Amazon the other day, and first and foremost, the buttons, analog sticks, triggers, etc feel absolutely solid. The grips are comfortable, and the material used feels really good as well, but, there is one anomaly that concerns me. On the right side of the shell, I can feel it slightly "clicking", nowhere near enough that I can wedge a fingernail in there to separate it, but enough to where I can press down and hear it click. Is this a normal occurrence in these controllers? Should I be worried? And if so, do places like Gamestop and the like offer repairs to where they can tighten that part of the shell to where it doesn't have that minor click? I want this to last as long as possible, I just want to be sure it's nothing to worry about. I'm thinking as long as I grip the controller normally, it's fine, as it doesn't click when I hold it, but I want to make sure. Thanks :P

Again, the controller works perfectly, the buttons all feel solid, the material itself feels good to grip, but it's only doing this when I willingly gently press down on the right side with my finger, should I be worried and if so, I want to know if it can be repaired with somehow tightening it with a screwdriver.
That's normal. I think that MS design of the controller is the culprit, it's made so that it doesn't have screw holes so the plastic "clips". The latest Xbox One S design is more solid than the 1st design though.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's normal. I think that MS design of the controller is the culprit, it's made so that it doesn't have screw holes so the plastic "clips". The latest Xbox One S design is more solid than the 1st design though.

Hmm, odd, so it's nothing I need to worry about? Can it be "fixed" by going to a repair shop of some kind? I don't think I can exactly send it back and get a replacement, see, the problem is that I want it to be exclusively wireless, I don't like wired controllers on PC, like, at all. Not to mention, it was on a huge discount (30% off) with the included 2018 wireless USB adapter, so with the gift card I used, I only spent around eight dollars in total, not too bad. What do you suggest I do, just keep using it as normal and expect getting good longevity from it over the years?

I'd have gotten the S controller but I don't think there's a wireless iteration, nor would it have been cheaper.

Edit: Looks like it is possible to tighten the screws inside, but I don't feel confident to do so

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Wireless+Controller+Teardown/72986

Last edited by the_randomizer,

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, odd, so it's nothing I need to worry about? Can it be "fixed" by going to a repair shop of some kind? I don't think I can exactly send it back and get a replacement, see, the problem is that I want it to be exclusively wireless, I don't like wired controllers on PC, like, at all. Not to mention, it was on a huge discount (30% off) with the included 2018 wireless USB adapter, so with the gift card I used, I only spent around eight dollars in total, not too bad. What do you suggest I do, just keep using it as normal and expect getting good longevity from it over the years?

I'd have gotten the S controller but I don't think there's a wireless iteration, nor would it have been cheaper.

Edit: Looks like it is possible to tighten the screws inside, but I don't feel confident to do so

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Wireless+Controller+Teardown/72986
Maybe? A repair shop may be able to do something but why pay extra? You can tighten the screws but the plastic clip will stay the same. If you mean that part,

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe? A repair shop may be able to do something but why pay extra? You can tighten the screws but the plastic clip will stay the same. If you mean that part,

Hmm, was just curious, because given what these cost, I want this to last as long as possible, you know? Like, as long as my old wireless Xbox 360 controller lasted and that too has a similar minor anomaly in the shell. That I gave to my brother as the wired controller he was using royally sucked. I just don't want this to become an issue, so is it safe to assume this will last me quite a while? I should clarify that it's the top of the right-side of the shell, and not the bottom, if that makes sense. I believe that's where two of the five internal screws are located. I'll call Gamestop and Best Buy and see what they offer. There's a Microsoft Store in a mall about 30 miles from here (closest one unfortunately).

Guess what I'm asking is, should I be worried?

jrobertdobson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that is normal. Just bought a replacement blue one a few days ago, and it creaks and pops like crazy. Pathetic really considering the price of these things, but what do we expect, everybody charges a massive premium for cheaper made crap. Unfortunately it will continue, but at least I don't feel as bad buying from walmart for less than $50 new.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that is normal. Just bought a replacement blue one a few days ago, and it creaks and pops like crazy. Pathetic really considering the price of these things, but what do we expect, everybody charges a massive premium for cheaper made crap. Unfortunately it will continue, but at least I don't feel as bad buying from walmart for less than $50 new.

I only paid 8 bucks when used with a gift card. I mean, other than that, it works perfectly with my Steam games, *shrug*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it