Miner Wars 2081 Official E3 Trailer

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Keen Software House has presented Miner Wars 2081 at this year's E3. The game has been in semi-closed beta testing for over a year, and from what I've played of it, is quite enjoyable.
(Before you ask, no this bears no relation to Minecraft or similar. It's just a cool space-flight orientated game.)

Miner Wars is a 6DOF interior and exterior space shooter played in a fully destructible environment. Miner Wars 2081 features single player, co-op, and standard multi-player modes. Miner Wars MMO is a massively multiplayer online game situated in the same game universe.
As a player, you operate an advanced mining ship in an open-world asteroid belt area. You dig extensive tunnels, harvest ore, travel the solar system, fight enemies, and discover mysterious alien secrets. Gameplay is driven by an epic story and offers a choice of single/multi-player game, cooperative, or you against everyone.
The story will introduce you to many types of missions: rescue, exploration, revenge, base defense, theft, transportation, stealth, search and destroy, pure harvesting, racing, or just flying around and destroying everything you see.

World release:
Miner Wars 2081 – Q3-Q4 2012
Miner Wars MMO – Q4 2012
btw prowler had the best news posts​

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, it's very similar to Descent (although quite a lot of 6dof games are). Can't wait to see how this holds up in the long run, although before it hits release I do hope they trim down the engine a little.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
When you haven't got any ideas of your own, just go back and rip off old games.
I don't mind as long as they're ripping off GOOD games.

And at the same time, making the ripoff GOOD. Also, if there is no more Descent games being made, why not keep the genre alive?

I wouldn't even call this a ripoff. More of an homage.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pretty much.

I still have StarLancer and Bang! Gunship Elite to play through on the Dreamcast, but I know that I'll soon have Good Game Cravings, and I gotta say, this kind of "space sims" is one of the genres I like the most.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Given that the teams behind both Miner Wars and Red Faction Armageddon contained people who created and/or worked on the original Descent games, I'm not sure it's fair to say they ripped it off.

Reactions: 2 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
When you haven't got any ideas of your own, just go back and rip off old games.
I don't mind as long as they're ripping off GOOD games.

And at the same time, making the ripoff GOOD. Also, if there is no more Descent games being made, why not keep the genre alive?

I wouldn't even call this a ripoff. More of an homage.
Why aren't they being made, anyway?

Parallax Software split up in 1997, and no more games were made since then, except for direct ports to other systems.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interplay still owns the Descent IP and despite being virtually dead (no recent games, large debts and worthless shares) they won't let anyone pry it from their bony grasp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr