Minecraft Versus Terraria

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rydian, Dec 16, 2011.

Dec 16, 2011

Minecraft Versus Terraria by Rydian at 3:05 AM (1,480 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I've got both and have played a lot of both, and I want to make a video highlighting all the differences, both to promote both games for their strengths, but mainly to show that they're really different games.

Since I'm going to be recording and splicing gameplay footage I want to have a layout before I start, so here's what I've made so far. I'm aware that there's a lack of specific examples for the games, I just want to get most of the comparison written up before I start the recording. Once I start recording to show the differences, that's when the specific examples will come into play, and I'll insert them where they're needed.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    NPC's

3. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Whoops, right. XD

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    They've kinda been competing and trying to one up each other. A lot of updates on both sides are kinda ripping off each other. Terraria did Biomes, Minecraft did Biomes. Minecraft did an end game, Terraria did an end game.

I personally prefer Terraria. Minecraft seems more obtuse than it is fun. The survival aspect can't be taken seriously when the AI is terrible and when it's basically only a "threat" when you're one your first day and you're forced to get a few resources and basically sit in a hut for a night. Minecraft also just lacks focus. Like I would like to see the game as kinda an "Elder Scrolls" type of open world game, but with a whole construction side to it. Now that would be very interesting. But villages are still essentially useless, RPG aspects are never fleshed out, and gear is incredibly basic.

I've tried playing Minecraft now and then and it bores me heavily. Everyone goes "OH IT'S FANTASTIC WITH HUNDREDS OF MODS" but is that not just a testament to how bad the game is? That it's only fun when hundreds of fan made changes are made to it?

I can easily pick up Terraria with a friend and play for hours on end. It's one of the few games that I have been able to pick up consistently with my friend and play (the other one was Dungeon Siege but we haven't played that in a while). It's kinda a sweet marriage between 2D platformer, action adventure, and construction sandbox.

EDIT: But on topic, definitely make a note on this "pissing match" between the two.

I'd also say price is a factor. For one copy of Minecraft I can buy at least two copies of Terraria. If you want to roughly round Minecraft to $30 then I can buy 4 copies of Terraria for one copy of MInecraft.

Also stick to the vanilla versions of games. It's something I've generally done when reviewing. Approach them as though you didn't have any advantage to change them, such as the ability to pirate it, hack it, or mod it. It's better to rate a game on its own merits than the merits of someone else that's not a developer.

1 person likes this.
  5. kevan

Australia
    Terraria has an end game D:?

6. kevan

Australia
    Oh good I don't want Terraria to have an end *Sighs In Relief*

7. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I've been leaning more towards Terraria lately. There's just so much more to do. Minecraft is obviously better for building/creative stuff (Then again, it doesn't even have furniture, whereas Terraria does), but Terraria is better for nearly everything else.

FYI, Terraria doesn't really have an end-game. The Wall of Flesh boss puts your world in hardmode when you kill it, which opens up tons of new features, including new ores, enemies, and bosses. There's no pointless credit/ending sequence like Minecraft has.

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You beat a boss and enter Hard Mode which has a ton of new items and stuff like that. I haven't gotten to it yet but a friend of mine has.

EDIT: I call it an end game but I guess that's kinda relative. I just think of it as when you beat Generic JRPG X and "New Game+" opens up.

9. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    I play Minecraft MUCH more than Terraria, and yet I still prefer Terraria.

10. king_leo

Member king_leo Real Hero

Australia
    Redstone (You know what i mean Hopefully)

11. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Minecraft appeals to different people than Terraria, that's one of the things I'm going to cover.

Yeah, I'll note their updates and such.

Yeah.

12. king_leo

Member king_leo Real Hero

Australia
    ah good someone understands me, also farming

13. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'd be careful of trying to compare the two as if they're meant to be compared against each other. While Terraria initially really tried to sell itself for mining and building, players quickly learned it was more about the combat and loot than anything else. It's more rogue-like/adventure-like/game-like than Minecraft, and Minecraft... is still unfinished, unimplemented, and completely defined by the players.

Unless you count the 1.0 as a finished release. Which has almost nothing Notch planned for it :E

14. iggloovortex

Member iggloovortex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    what i find cool about terraria, which sets it apart from minecraft, is that due to the bosses, it appears to have a goal. when my friends and i play we always work toward besting the next boss, which becomes WAY harder in Hardmode. sooo much harder. and while we sometimes beat the boss, its not without each of us dying a bunch. so our goal after that is to beat the boss without dying, as we're supposed to do. Minecraft doesnt really have a goal other than survive and build. for now at least. i did used to get really swept up in minecraft, digging forever, as my goal was to have diamond everything, and usually a surprise lava pit would end that dream. That or surprise creeper killing me in a vastly unknown part of the underworld, rendering any and all hope of recovering my precious items slim to shit. Terraria's option to only drop money is definitely easier and more user friendly, and i also like it for that.

15. Rydian
    OP

United States
    The point of the video IS to point out that they're different games.

16. iggloovortex

United States
    i helped :D

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Something Terraria has that MC doesn't have: me.

I like the physics, world and spelunking better in Terraria. MC feels much more limited BECAUSE it's 3D. Or maybe that's just me. I've never been a fan of MC since it first launched, but Terraria instantly reminded me of Cortex Command, which I loved to bits.

18. iggloovortex

United States
    Interesting concept. An argument can be made about this (not from me), because people will say its more realistic.
    And i get what you mean, because Terraria is 2D you can see where most of the goodies are and its much easier to mine and such

19. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I know it can be argued, but I prefer the simplicity of the 2D, where you can build a house very easily or a shelter (from mobs) in seconds. Unfortunately both games suffer from rampant abuse of dynamite.

EDIT: I'll add that being able to see a couple blocks beyond what's right in front of you makes for a much more interesting spelunking experience, which is the limitation of 3D where you're limited to your field of vision. That and you can jump higher in Terraria.

20. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    While I agree you should be comparing the vanilla versions of the games, I think you should at least mention mods. I don't know if there are very many for Terraria, but I know there are a large number of them for MC.