Minecraft creator refuses certification for Windows 8

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still updates? Good good. I thought once the xbox version hit, the updates would stop lol
the 360 version is just some sidetracking by another team, the main version is still the pc.
Oh is it really? I didn't know that. I played the PC version for a while but I got bored.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point he is trying to make is here is that he is against the closing of a once open platform, Minecraft is on iOS and Xbox sure but those platforms have never been as open as the PC has to begin with.

Reactions: 1 person

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think the point he is trying to make is here is that he is against the closing of a once open platform, Minecraft is on iOS and Xbox sure but those platforms have never been as open as the PC has to begin with.

What platform is closing? The Windows Store is just an easy-to-use alternative to the regular install. And of course Microsoft only wants certified/stable/issue-free software in their store, who wouldn't? He is just riding the wave of the usual Win8 hate, once you get used to the new start screen (and grasp its intention) it is far superior to the old Start Menu clusterfuck.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
I played Minecraft when I had Windows 8..
I don't get what this certification is.
It's basically Microsoft's "seal of approval" like on a DS game.

I hate Windows 8, Minecraft hasn't worked on two different machines after I installed the preview on both of them. However, it may just be the hardware, or the fact it's the preview, but they used to work, and even dual booting Win7 hasn't fixed it.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't read up much on Windows 8. From reading this thread, I'm inclined to stick to 7. Not because of minecraft, but because I just don't care about an app store or other misc crap in an OS.
I know some ppl will argue about things evolving and blah blah. I'm good with my older, more open equipment. I still have a pc rockin xp too.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Notch is such an obvious attention whore and drama queen.
Microsoft isn't going to do anything just because of some whining single hit indie developer.
In the end he will be forced to get it certified anyway if he still wants to continue riding the minecraft wave, I mean come on...

I doubt it, one thing about Notch is that when he says he wont do anything, he sticks with it no matter what.

He sticks to it so well, he doesn't do anything at all! Hi-yo!

You have to give it to Notch - He is a man of principles.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Minecraft works just fine on my Win8 computer, if not better than Windows 7. Who cares if it's not going to be on the App store, anyone that still plays Minecraft can still download it from the website as they did before.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What is this "a now closed platform" all about? ...I don't get it ..

As far as I know, the desktop part of Windows that we all know from windows 7 and previous versions continue to exist in windows 8 ...if it's there, so what is the deal? ...the problem is some kind of "ideology meaning" that was lost or something ?

If there is something more substantial behind this, someone please tell me ...cause I only see the glittery magic behind it...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess Notch could finally afford macs after minecraft became a hit and liked it

shit game shit devs

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's shit. This is the number one problem I have with users on GBAtemp. Very few people can differentiate between the good and bad games, and your opinions. Just because you don't like a game (looks at Guild) doesn't mean it's a bad game. Minecraft has tons of things going for it. I'd appreciate it if everyone would think before hitting a button on your keyboard. These asinine and utterly silly statements are getting old.

Oh, and Notch isn't a "shit dev". As a matter of fact, the amount of copies of Minecraft he sold on his own is proof he his a highly successful developer. Sure he's a drama queen and an attention whore, but he's competent in programming. Anyway, I think he's making a fuss over something very little.

Reactions: 3 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess Notch could finally afford macs after minecraft became a hit and liked it

shit game shit devs

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's shit. This is the number one problem I have with users on GBAtemp. Very few people can differentiate between the good and bad games, and your opinions. Just because you don't like a game (looks at Guild) doesn't mean it's a bad game. Minecraft has tons of things going for it. I'd appreciate it if everyone would think before hitting a button on your keyboard. These asinine and utterly silly statements are getting old.

Oh, and Notch isn't a "shit dev". As a matter of fact, the amount of copies of Minecraft he sold on his own is proof he his a highly successful developer. Sure he's a drama queen and an attention whore, but he's competent in programming. Anyway, I think he's making a fuss over something very little.

To be fair, when people say something is good or bad (or, in this case, shit), it's obvious that they're giving their own opinion on the matter. I mean, our sentences would be needlessly cluttered if we had to stress that every point we offered was "in our opinion"; that's naturally assumed. No one here is forcing their opinions onto others; just providing it bluntly as a part of contributing to the discussion of Notch, Minecraft, and all that jazz.

Also, this is one of my pet peeves: "Successful" does not equal "Good". Franz Kafka died damn near penniless and completely unrecognized; Michael Bay is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

shit game shit devs

To be fair, when people say something is good or bad (or, in this case, shit), it's obvious that they're giving their own opinion on the matter. I mean, our sentences would be needlessly cluttered if we had to stress that every point we offered was "in our opinion"; that's naturally assumed. No one here is forcing their opinions onto others; just providing it bluntly as a part of contributing to the discussion of Notch, Minecraft, and all that jazz.

Also, this is one of my pet peeves: "Successful" does not equal "Good". Franz Kafka died damn near penniless and completely unrecognized; Michael Bay is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Well, to be fair, they're great action flicks and any higher expectations are asking for trouble.

Naturally, assuming on the internet is bad any wich way you look at it. Tone is also hard to discern, so why take the risk? On of the many pitfalls people fall into in writing is making people needlessly assume. When you state your opinion in a matter of factly tone with strong statements such as these, you'd better get ready to clarify. Guild does this all the time and when he's called on it he tries to bullshit his way out. If you're going to put your opinions out for everyone, you need to give them the common courtesy of making it clear you aren't bashing the game on any factual ground but your opinions.

EDIT: Also, who's Franz Kafka? I can tell he's being compared to a director so... (I'm not actually interested enough to google it by the way).

D

Deleted User

eeh i dont care im gonna stay with win 7 i tried the win 8 dev preview and well.... it didnt turn quite well i will maybe upadte to win 8 when the time is right xD (when we have win 9 lol)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

shit game shit devs

Well, to be fair, they're great action flicks and any higher expectations are asking for trouble.

Naturally, assuming on the internet is bad any wich way you look at it. Tone is also hard to discern, so why take the risk? On of the many pitfalls people fall into in writing is making people needlessly assume. When you state your opinion in a matter of factly tone with strong statements such as these, you'd better get ready to clarify. Guild does this all the time and when he's called on it he tries to bullshit his way out. If you're going to put your opinions out for everyone, you need to give them the common courtesy of making it clear you aren't bashing the game on any factual ground but your opinions.

EDIT: Also, who's Franz Kafka? I can tell he's being compared to a director so... (I'm not actually interested enough to google it by the way).

An action movie can be fun without being aggressively juvenile and insulting. I'm not asking for high art, just for something good, and Bay can't even deliver on that.

I get your point here, really, but this is so basic of an assumption that clarification is redundant and needless; it dilutes the message, rather than strengthening it. Poe's Law really shouldn't have to apply here. The idea that when a person states their point of view, they are conveying their personal opinion on the matter is a pretty essential concept of communication, verbal or otherwise.

(If you want an example, take a look at our exchange over Michael Bay. I'm arguing because, hey, it's fun, and I want to convey my thoughts on the matter, but did I need you to clarify that you were speaking only for yourself? Did you feel the need to state "Now this is only in my opinion"? Of course not!)

As for Kafka... he was an author, not a director, but seeing how both he and Bay worked in creative mediums, I figured the connection fit. He was a prolific writer, one unlike any others of his time, and he produced a ton of works. Unfortunately, few were ever published in his lifetime, and he ultimately ending dying in obscurity. The point being, his lack of success doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of his work the same way Bay's enormous success doesn't reflect the quality of his own output.

(Also, are you sure you've never heard of him? The Metamorphosis, A Hunger Artist, the word "Kafkaesque"... none of it ringing a bell?)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, Gahars, don't you know that true genious is appreciated only post-mortem? Certain people and certain ideas are simply too much ahead of their time to be appreciated by their contemporaries - it's been a rule since the dawn of time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Mother 3 in second place. I guess I'll play that.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anything hello kitty related then
    Could replay Metroid, though. Amazing screen on this thing.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Miyoo are basically repurposed blackberry displays believe it or not I always take my miyoo on the go
    @K3Nv2 You joke but this was amazing for 10 year old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6adnfSaew&ab_channel=IGN
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Install onionos also if you haven't already
    It still looks dope.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Amazingly I didn't really care for the GBA
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, dragon quest 4 bored me
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a SD emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ds games are best played on a SD emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously