Hacking Hardware MigSwitch, i just recieve my sample.

pinkbeetle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
What if I don't care about getting banned and just want to play games like Sea of Stars on the go on my switch.

Genuinely, I don't care at all if I get banned from being having to pay $$$ for just playing mario kart 8 deluxe online.. Can't name more than one game I would ever bother taking the switch off of airplane mode..
my thoughts exactly!

Reactions: impeeza

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use MigSwitch the way it is intended, by backing your own games, getting banned shouldn't be an issue. But everyone knows, the majority of people getting MigSwitch will be using it to play games downloaded from internet. Getting banned and not being able to play online Mario Kart or any online services isn't the main issue here though.

From my understanding, the issue is being able to update games? Sure one can back up any games released physically on carts, but most cartridges have version 1 of the game or even sometime not the whole game at all. Meaning to play the game, one has to update from nintendo online, but once you are banned you can't even update your games.

Meaning, your stuck with version 1 of that game, or whatever was included in the orignal game cartridge. I would assume, if one is using the MigSwitch for pirating games, sooner rather than later, one has to go online to update a game and take a change of getting banned. So in a sence, eventually all who update might be caught and banned.

Am I missing something here, and someone already has a solution to updating games, without the change of getting banned? I know one can buy a new un-banned console, but that seems like it would cost more than just hardware modding your switch.

Last edited by zenjiki,
Reactions: hippy dave

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
If you use MigSwitch the way it is intended, by backing your own games, getting banned shouldn't be an issue. But everyone knows, the majority of people getting MigSwitch will be using it to play games downloaded from internet. Getting banned and not being able to play online Mario Kart or any online services isn't the main issue here though.

From my understanding, the issue is being able to update games? Sure one can back up any games released physically on carts, but most cartridges have version 1 of the game or even sometime not the whole game at all. Meaning to play the game, one has to update from nintendo online, but once you are banned you can't even update your games.

Meaning, your stuck with version 1 of that game, or whatever was included in the orignal game cartridge. I would assume, if one is using the MigSwitch for pirating games, sooner rather than later, one has to go online to update a game and take a change of getting banned. So in a sence, eventually all who update might be caught and banned.

Am I missing something here, and someone already has a solution to updating games, without the change of getting banned? I know one can buy a new un-banned console, but that seems like it would cost more than just hardware modding your switch.

A lot of people who have banned Switch's say they can still download game updates perfectly fine

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo ban is so random. I had 3 OG release day switches and one of them got console banned, and that switch can't download updates at all.

Same here, even legitimate cartridges won't even let me update on this switch. Just firmware update. Good thing it can run homebrew and custom firmware, otherwise it would be just for emulation.

Last edited by zenjiki,
Reactions: BigOnYa

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Both of my V1 consoles are hardware banned and i can't download updates legitimately at all.. the only thing that i can do is firmware updates through the official channel.

Nintendo ban is so random. I had 3 OG release day switches and one of them got console banned, and that switch can't download updates at all.

Same here, even legitimate cartridges won't even let me update on this switch. Just firmware update. Good thing it can run homebrew and custom firmware, otherwise it would be just for emulation.

Must be different ban types then as I've seen people in multiple threads with banned switches saying game updates work still work. And then in other threads like you two here saying with your bans they don't.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been widely known that there are multiple different types of bans. From console bans to account bans to cartridge bans, saying you're banned is as specific as buying Switch. One type of ban is defunct now which are CDN bans are more colloquially known as "super bans". These types were common during the days of CDNSP and cert sharing was the way to obtain game updates or similar. Initially, Nintendo upgraded abused certs to CDN bans to prevent further misuse but after reworking CDN authentication, CDN bans were no longer necessary and downgraded typically back to console bans.

This is totally not a plug but if you want to read further information about bans, all of that is collected in the banning thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol