Hacking Migrating DLC from disc version to USB install

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all. I recently took the plunge on hacking my Wii U and it was a remarkably easy process. Kudos to everyone here contributing to that effort.

My goals for my hacked Wii U are pretty simple:

1. Dump and backup all of my retail discs (wudump + JWUDTool.jar for extraction)
2. Download game updates for offline backup (FunKiiU and JNUSTool.jar)
3. Preserve my existing save games (savemii mod)
4. Delete game updates from NAND storage
5. Install or migrate my retail games to USB (WUP Installer GX2)
6. Install updates from offline copy (WUP Installer GX2)

So far so good - been able to install and play new games w/ updates with no problems, and savemii works great for transferring my saved games to the version installed on the USB drive. However, I'm not clear on how to handle DLC. I see that it's possible to download DLC with FunKiiU, but it looks like that DLC needs to be patched or something in order to install/play it.

My specific issue is that I purchased the 2 expansions for Mario Kart 8 and would like to preserve those. How can I do that and keep a "legit" copy installed? Ie., right now I have saved data + game updates + DLC for Mario Kart 8 installed on NAND that requires my disc to play. I want to change that to having Mario Kart 8 installed on the hard drive (wudump -> WUP installer) and preserve my save data and DLC. savemii mod should cover the save data, but I'm not clear on the DLC.

Is there some way to download my "legit" copy (ie., download it with my personal key or something?) so I can reinstall that? as opposed to downloading and installing a patched/non-legit copy?

I'm probably overcomplicating this, but like I said, the DLC thing just isn't clicking. Would appreciate any pointers here. Thanks!

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are overcomplicating things.

The only rule is that everything for one game needs to be on one storage device. So move everything to your USB mass storage before installing the game to it.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go to the eshop after you install mk8 with WUP installer and get the DLC you purchased for it. Since you already paid for it you won't need CFW to install and play it

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! This is very helpful. If I may follow-up on a couple points:

The only rule is that everything for one game needs to be on one storage device. So move everything to your USB mass storage before installing the game to it.
To make sure I understand you, I can use the built-in Storage Manager to simply move my saved games, updates, and DLC from NAND to USB, then install via WUP Installer, and I'm set? The new copy will automatically see/use the existing data? If so, yeah, that greatly simplifies things!

You can go to the eshop after you install mk8 with WUP installer and get the DLC you purchased for it. Since you already paid for it you won't need CFW to install and play it
That's good to know, thanks. I thought disc and installed versions were treated differently by the Wii U. So, it's great to know I can do this as a backup, but I'd still prefer to have a downloaded copy backed up on my computer for potential future use, in case I ever need to reinstall, or my Wii U dies and I get a new one, or whatever.

So let me ask this: setting aside N7Kopper's awesome suggestion for the moment, is there any technical difference between DLC that I download with FunKiiU and install with WUP Installer GX2 vs. the purchased copy that I'd directly download from Nintendo using my account on the Wii U? In terms of content I know it'd be identical, but I'm assuming there's a ticket or key or something that'd be unique to me on the copy I purchased.

That's what I was hoping to backup somehow. Is there maybe some way to extract the ticket or key from my account on the Wii U and then apply that to the FunKiiU-downloaded copy? Seems like that should do what I'm looking for.

I recognize it's not necessary, just curious how it works and trying to get a better understand of things at this point.

nitro322

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To partially answer my own questions (for anyone else that may stumble upon this):

Yes, simply moving saved games and DLC (and, presumably, updates (though I didn't try) from NAND to USB will preserve that content if migrating from the disc to WUP-installed version of a game. Very handy.

However, I could not find a way to download or backup "my" copy of the Mario Kart 8 DLC. It seems like the best way to do that would be to provide a copy of my ticket when downloading the DLC from NUS, but that doesn't seem possible, at least not with the tools I'm using. FunKiiU, for example, provides a method for providing your own *key* when downloading a file that requires a key, and provides an option to automatically retrieve a ticket from thekeysite, but it doesn't let me provide my own ticket. Not sure whether that's due to simple lack of demand (I doubt many people are concerned about this particular aspect) or if there's some technical reason why that can't be done.

Anyway, I'm firmly in good enough territory right now. Appreciate the tips, and if anyone does have a suggestion or some knowledge to share about that ticket/DLC question, I'd be interested.

Thanks, all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm