you fight like a dairy farmer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This isn't really about games or something, but about M$.
The rumour is, that they are bussy with making a new OS, called Midori.
Midori is supposed to run from the internet, instead of directly from your computer.

Inmagine, every aplication you want to run, runs from the internet...
From MSOffice to games.

I just don't really like the idea.
I guess I'll end up playing "retro games" (read: games we are playing now) in the future.

Windows 7, and maybe even a windows 8 is going to be released, and the whole Midori won't be here, untill the great boss behind M$ retires in 2017. (that's only a rumour OK?)

Only source I could find in English: here
Source for the dutch people around here: here

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw this on G4tv.com a couple of minutes ago. Sounds interesting. I bet everyone is going to reply "this is what vista should have been."

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
I saw this on G4tv.com a couple of minutes ago. Sounds interesting. I bet everyone is going to reply "this is what vista should have been."

And everyone who does is really short sighted. Come on, ISPs are complaining over really small Youtube videos being streamed all the time, imagine a whole OS? Plus, not everyone could use it (broadband, surprisingly, still isn't available everywhere).

However, an online OS wouldn't be so bad. I quite like the idea, in fact. The only problem I can forsee would be I'd still want an offline version available, simply because broadband services sometimes go down and I don't fancy having my entire PC rendered useless just because my ISP is playing silly beggars. I don't entirely see how this would work, though. I mean, would it be like a seperate OS from the main Windows OS on your computer? Or what?

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what vista should have been
tongue.gif

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This would probadly kill piracy. And maybe even 3rd party software.
3rd party software programmes will probadly need to buy licences, and since you're constantly connected, they will check EVERYTHING you do....
Just a wild guess
tongue.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I believe that one day Internet will get so fast that we won't need to store data with us anymore.. we'll just have a little terminal at home and do everything remotely.. that's my prediction for 20 or 30 years in the future
tongue.gif

I'm sure that Microsoft and all the big companies are already looking at this possibility and working with it, anyway, I don't see something like this coming so soon.. the next MS OS will certainly rely a lot on Internet connection but I don't think it's viable to do something 100% online right now.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OS does not run entirely online. It is a small, modular OS that runs the computer while applications and data are stored in what is called the "Cloud." Even now, cloud computing is starting to take off. The upside to this is no matter where you are, you are always synchronized on all your devices and always have access to your data (as long as you have an internet connection, but with 3G and WiMax and other widespread internet provisions that is becoming easier and easier). The actual OS is small and is supposed to have a very small resource footprint, but other functionality can be added to it (such as a GUI). It's an interesting concept and Ms is preparing for the cloud computing revolution (which has already begun). Some day soon, all data will be stored in the cloud and MS will be ready.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats a little weird you maka this *cloud* thing sound like a giant brain that knows all of your secrets, to me thats a little creepy
wtf.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:
sjones900 said:
Thats a little weird you maka this *cloud* thing sound like a giant brain that knows all of your secrets, to me thats a little creepy
wtf.gif

Stephen Hawking is basically already one

Fix'd

EDIT: Oh cool, so i don't have internets at home now (apparently you have to PAY for web usage... or it gets shut off), but i can use my 'puter. Hopefully, this will all change with the next OS. Then i won't have internets OR usage of my 'puter. Kickass!

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yay the "cloud" more useless stuff, it will simply be an app you run of your PC that will act like an OS, you can't not have an OS running on PC else it sort of doesn't work. So you will require not only lets say Windows [Enter Version] but a little app to run on Windows its somewhat flawed, it won't be an entire extra OS simply GUI allowing you access various "cloud" apps, oh wait I have one of those its called a web browser..

QUOTE said:
Some day soon, all data will be stored in the cloud.
I am very doubtful that all data would be stored on a server, it will be a long time till internet especially in the west to be capable to transferring data and an equivalent speed as me accessing the HDD on my PC. And I would not like to rely on my already sporadic broadband connection for an entire OS.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, I just don't see this happening. Not by a long shot. If it does happen, it won't work. That's my prediction anyway.
And I guess having all your data stored on a server makes sense, but it would be much better just having PCs with built-in networking and Wi-Fi (from the boot screen, so you can detect and run off networked devices). That way you could buy a computer, turn it on, instead of installing the OS off a CD, just run/install off the other computer's hard drive (if you have one).
Bit of a weird concept, but basically an ordinary PC acting as a server. It would have it's drawbacks, but would be much easier to use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or maybe not