1. 2,660

Front-page
    Warner_Bros_Interactive_Entertainment_2019.png

Last month, attention was brought to the fact that AT&T was looking at prospective buyers to sell their gaming division--WB Interactive Entertainment--to. During the initial claim, a multitude of publishers showed their interest, such as EA, Activision, and Take-Two, though it appears that another major company has thrown their hat into the ring. According to a report, Microsoft is also looking to acquire WB Interactive as well. Currently, nothing is set in stone, and AT&T hasn't confirmed any definitive plans, but should a sale take place, there would be a variety of IPs up for grabs, such as Hitman, the LEGO license, Shadow of Mordor, Batman, Harry Potter and its rumored in-development RPG, and many more. WB Interactive also owns developers and studios that include Avalance Software, TT Games, and Rocksteady. Microsoft would be the most likely candidate for such a buyout, given their recent history in acquiring studios, from Obsidian, to Double Fine, to Ninja Theory, and more, but only time will tell if AT&T decides to sell WB Interactive off, and which company would value it the most.

:arrow: Source

Stealphie, naughty_cat, Xzi and 4 others like this.
  2. Discussion (39 replies)

3. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    Wow this is a huge deal. Really hope this goes to a company that will show love to all these different IPs. Out of the companies listed here, I'll hope for Microsoft since they would (hopefully) give the projects to those subsidiaries, some of which seem to still love making decent games. As opposed to the Micro-transaction companies.

I kind of want to see what an Obsidian made Harry Potter RPG would look like.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  4. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    I hope Microsoft does grab it. We all know what EA, Activision and Take-Two would do. Especially EA. Not just their microtransactions. But would probably run it into the ground. Like with all the other companies they bought.

5. pwallow

pwallow Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I hope Microsoft get them. They need some more studios for first party now and nobody wants EA to ever get their hands on anything.

6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Far as I've heard it's not clear that the external IPs necessarily go along. Like they can probably finish up existing projects but its not like you own DC and Tolkein rights for future projects.

7. KentaZX

KentaZX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Better Microsoft than EA.

Graxer likes this.
  8. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

United States
    Hey, can we toss the Scribblenauts IP off to the side and let, like, Nintendo or an indie have it? Any of these AAA devs would promptly forget its existence.

9. YBI

YBI Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    MS is going to end up with this.

10. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    i expected all the responses to shit on microsoft, but i guess since EA is one of the competitors there's bigger baddies out there

i'm pleasantly surprised

banjo2 likes this.
  11. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Jesus fuck, 10~15 years ago I'd never see my self saying this. But dear god, if I had to choose between EA, Take Two, and Microsoft, dear god I hope Microsoft buys it. They could make Batman games to compete with Spiderman games.

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    maybe the lego games won't be as fucking buggy if this happens :lol:

MarkDarkness likes this.
  13. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They'll probably get a license to use for a certain period, this is standard.

Regardless, whether certain ip or licenses are in or out, will be reflected in the price.

I also hope Microsoft snag the rights, all others listed would be dire for everyone concerned.

14. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    I agree with everyone. Anyone else on that list is just bad. At least Activision, if not MS.

15. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    I hope Microsoft is the winner, not the evil EA.

16. Graxer

Graxer Member
    Newcomer

EA is the worst thing that could ever happen to WB Interactive. Whether I get an XBOX Series X/S or not, I would be much happier if Microsoft got hold of it!

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  17. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    Warner Bros. Interactive up for grabs? I hope Microsoft does NOT buy it! They have too much as it is.

18. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Weird, that TENCENT didn't showd up this time lul.

p.s. just reminded that Chinese companies are blacklisted by Orange man and his govt, nvm.

Last edited by leon315, Jul 7, 2020
  19. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

United States
    Oh God if EA Buys WB, there will be lootboxes in Dying Light 2. The gacha loot system of common, rare, epic is already there for exploitation. They can dilute the loot pool with materials and make orange weapons incredibly hard to create.

Microsoft needs to outbid them

Last edited by stanleyopar2000, Jul 7, 2020
  20. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
    That means no more multiplatform Bugs bunny?

21. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    The biggest question mark here is WB's Midway back catalog. Everything ranging from Mortal Kombat to the likes of Primal Rage, Paperboy, etc, could be up for grabs.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Interactive, reportedly, Microsoft