Microsoft, EA, more reportedly looking into buying Warner Bros.' gaming division, WB Interactive

Warner_Bros_Interactive_Entertainment_2019.png

Last month, attention was brought to the fact that AT&T was looking at prospective buyers to sell their gaming division--WB Interactive Entertainment--to. During the initial claim, a multitude of publishers showed their interest, such as EA, Activision, and Take-Two, though it appears that another major company has thrown their hat into the ring. According to a report, Microsoft is also looking to acquire WB Interactive as well. Currently, nothing is set in stone, and AT&T hasn't confirmed any definitive plans, but should a sale take place, there would be a variety of IPs up for grabs, such as Hitman, the LEGO license, Shadow of Mordor, Batman, Harry Potter and its rumored in-development RPG, and many more. WB Interactive also owns developers and studios that include Avalance Software, TT Games, and Rocksteady. Microsoft would be the most likely candidate for such a buyout, given their recent history in acquiring studios, from Obsidian, to Double Fine, to Ninja Theory, and more, but only time will tell if AT&T decides to sell WB Interactive off, and which company would value it the most.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As much as exclusives would be a bad thing I must agree that EA would be a bad move both because EA and it would give EA an even more dominant position.
On the other hand an EA purchase might see things returned to the world and parted out over the years to come when EA gets bored of things.

I really do dislike exclusives though so maybe take 2 would be the better there.

Do we have any idea on a valuation? This is to say is it out of the realms of Square Enix, Ubisoft or even the Embracer group?

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter to me who takes it if EA gets it then that's a good thing because those games will go on the EA Pass.If Microsoft gets it then whatever games that isn't on ultimate will go on there.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yet when minecraft was purhcased by microsoft it still got multiplatform releases and is still seeing updates on all the other platforms to this day
Is minecraft the same as that though?

Mortal Kombat has been a game for fans basically since the start (are you a mortal kombat or Street Fighter kid?) whereas minecraft... is pretty much the modern solitaire or minesweeper aka basically a service at this point rather than a game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
multi plat?

you mean xbox and pc right?
Nah, a number of MS-owned studios release their games for all platforms, or only exclude PS4 at most. Mojang, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Double Fine, etc. All have games on PC, Xbox, and Switch.

Edit: had to double-check, but all those I listed also have games on PS4.

Last edited by Xzi,

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, a number of MS-owned studios release their games for all platforms, or only exclude PS4 at most. Mojang, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Double Fine, etc. All have games on PC, Xbox, and Switch.

Edit: had to double-check, but all those I listed also have games on PS4.
Ya those were games either released or already in development.

All these games will be exclusive to PC and Xbox.

Example Hellblade 2

Last edited by Nostalgia,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ya those were games either released or already in development.

All these games will be exclusive to PC and Xbox.

Example Hellblade 2
Seems to be the case for some future titles, not all. Regardless, there are big downsides to any of the big players in this bidding war potentially acquiring WB, Microsoft is just the least terrible option.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems to be the case for some future titles, not all. Regardless, there are big downsides to any of the big players in this bidding war potentially acquiring WB, Microsoft is just the least terrible option.
I mean MS is the most consumer friendly company in gaming so that's a odd stance.

I don't see any downside to them acquiring Wb besides the games not coming to PlayStation, which is fine by me.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean MS is the most consumer friendly company in gaming so that's a odd stance.

I don't see any downside to them acquiring Wb besides the games not coming to PlayStation, which is fine by me.
I'd say CDPR deserves that accolade, but yeah MS isn't bad by any means. Keeping some of their games off PS5 is the one big downside I was referring to where they're concerned, but that's fair game considering how many exclusives Sony hoards.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is minecraft the same as that though?

Mortal Kombat has been a game for fans basically since the start (are you a mortal kombat or Street Fighter kid?) whereas minecraft... is pretty much the modern solitaire or minesweeper aka basically a service at this point rather than a game.
I'm a smash kid actually but ok

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest question mark here is WB's Midway back catalog. Everything ranging from Mortal Kombat to the likes of Primal Rage, Paperboy, etc, could be up for grabs.

IDK about you, but I wouldn't mind MK vs. KI...as long as they don't give us this embarrassment for finishers on the KI side of things...

...espdcially, when stacked against this from the original KI...

And compared to everything else MK has done in the last three games, especially!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Embracer group?

Uhhh...who?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd say CDPR deserves that accolade, but yeah MS isn't bad by any means. Keeping some of their games off PS5 is the one big downside I was referring to where they're concerned, but that's fair game considering how many exclusives Sony hoards.

*Knows that CDPR doesn't support their games being run on Linux, where games can have problems like controllers not working correctly or that they have no plans to bring GOG Galaxy to Linux*

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have hours to type out this one but I did an overview a little while back.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/thq-nor...s-such-as-risen-and-red-faction.564411/page-2

Deep silver and koch media wear THQ's skin but also shacked up with/became an investment firm that have been buying up and consolidating positions in games that all known as the embracer group.

I don't have a good estimate of their market cap, credit lines or whatever but under the noses of many they have more or less clawed their way up to bigger player in the games world. Got a lot of old and beloved IPs, a lot of cult classics, got a lot of talented devs and are making moves somewhat along the lines of slow playing a monster.
I don't know what the future holds for them but I imagine they are either going to go pop or become if not a Ubisoft/EA level player then a Square-Enix or Take-Two level one.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2