Hacking MicroSD card Speed

whitey012001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have brought a few microSD cards from deal extreme, I have put one into my DSone supercard and it is very slow. When I use the autospeed setting it says it is too slow and won't work. It is a 2gb Kingston card, I thought it would be fine as I am upgrading from a 1gb Kingston card, which I also brought from deal extreme. The speed was set a 25 for this card. Games load fine but are slow to load. It doesn't say anything about speed on the websites or is on any microSD card packaging I see in the shops.

Does anybody know why there is such a difference in the speeds between the card, have I got a duff card? Is there anyway of testing it???

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Neil

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some mem cards won't auto set but work fine. To set the speed manually choose a game for testing purposes and turn off all the patch settings for that game so it is run completely clean, this also makes the game run with the manual speed setting, it's not normally used. Anyway run the game increasing the mem card speed until it won't boot the game, backup a speed and leave it set there... very important, you must use the 'save menu' option after each setting change or the last speed setting saved will be used as soon as you start a rom.

A good start would be to format the card in FAT and not FAT32 and try speeds 25 and 28, you should be ok at 28, but remember to turn off all the patching options on the game so the manual speed setting is used.

The games are probably taking a longer time to load as they are probably creating brand new save files the first time they are run.

As i mentioned, manual speed setting is not normally used, rarely is it required to run a game and even then a full fix usually comes out very prompty from the SC team enabling all the patching gizmos for use.

whitey012001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know this may sound stupid but what are the patch settings. I just use the card as it comes, I don't play with the settings, as long as it plays the roms I don't care.

Neil

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just leave it mate, as you said default settings are fine for 99.9% of stuff.

But just for info, to find the paching options highlight a game and press and press the 'x' button, then touch the 'set patch' button. Here you can turn stuff on like Real Time Save, Cheats etc etc, when you make a change touch the little 'save' icon that pops up but don't touch the 'default' button because it will set every game with the same options, ie making the present on screen settings the default for all games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again