Hacking Micro SD help - what's important?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, so I need to know al about micro SD cards...

1)There are different classes, correct? Class 6 = win I believe?

2)Brands? Are some more compatible or do I go for general quality? This is for Acekard 2.

3)Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Cheers!

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
groovemeister said:
OK, so I need to know al about micro SD cards...
1)There are different classes, correct? Class 6 = win I believe?
2)Brands? Are some more compatible or do I go for general quality? This is for Acekard 2.

MicroSD (2GB and lower): Kingston Japan (not Taiwan) are the best. (1GB, 2 GB)
There are no classes here.

MicroSDHC (High Capacity, not compatible with MicroSD) > 2GB
4GB card: A-Data Class 6 is the best.
8GB: hmmm ... do not really know ... they are a bit slower ... but sandisk 8GB class 4 should be OK I guess
Your equipment needs to support sdHC cards!
Classes only give minimum write speed, they do not say anything about access time or read speed!

hope this helps.

PS: There is also the a-data 4GB trio
this is the 4 GB a-data microsdhc class 6 + an adapter, that can act as a SD card, and as a mini USB drive.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, well I definitely want a 4GB as long as they are not too expensive.

Someone else recommended an A-class one. What's the deal with that? Why not any other brands? I've never even heard of A-Class!

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Er... WHAT?!

Hey, Kazumastars says Patriot which means that also works. What I want to know is why everyone recommends A-class. Obviously Patriot also works but surely there are loads of decent class 6 micros SDs out there that work?

lonewolf80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a few Chinese 2 GB SanDisk MicroSD cards from eBay...and they work fine. No lag in Castlevania: DoS. The best part is that they each cost me around $10.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lonewolf80 said:
I bought a few Chinese 2 GB SanDisk MicroSD cards from eBay...and they work fine. No lag in Castlevania: DoS. The best part is that they each cost me around $10.
No lag in DoS in-game or the intro video?

Having no lag in the intro video is impossible.

GX255

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your buying from newegg and your reading the 1-3 star reviews for the A-DATA 4gb Class 6 its bull. Esp the one review where the guy talks about how his came DOA. It's because like most people they didn't know their electronic can't run a SDHC card. So make sure this flash your using has SDHC compatibility.

And if your buying an R4 or have an R4 that can run SDHC its not made by the same people who made the original R4. Therefore it could also be fake and can brick your DS.
Just a bit of warning.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I use a 2GB Patriot and there's no lag/not much lag at all... Or at least I did a quick test. I'm not too experianced with this test thing but it works fine. Maybe they're rebranded? Anyways, I don't think there are 4+ GB Patriot Micro SDs. Just go with Kingston with 2GB and below, but if you get like a 4 GB, use an A-Data Class 6. Try Transcend if you don't like hearing the "problems", but most people recommend A-Data. I've heard a few people recommend Transcend around here.

S

spectral

DeMoN said:
lonewolf80 said:

No it's not. It doesn't lag at all with a kingston 1GB(Japan). I have read a few other cards are fine too but I've only ever tried the Kingston card myself

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spectral said:
DeMoN said:
lonewolf80 said:

No it's not. It doesn't lag at all with a kingston 1GB(Japan). I have read a few other cards are fine too but I've only ever tried the Kingston card myself

Have you ever compared it side by side with a real DoS cartridge? It's not supposed to run 100%.

S

spectral

Never compared side by side but did watch it looking out for the lag and couldn't even see if when I was searching for it.

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
groovemeister said:
Thanks, well I definitely want a 4GB as long as they are not too expensive.

Someone else recommended an A-class one. What's the deal with that? Why not any other brands? I've never even heard of A-Class!

Simply because they have the lowest access time, and will therefor give you the least problems.

@Panzer:
> How good is each flash cart with microSDHC? Like, which cart is the most microSDHC friendly/compatible?
there is nothing as friendly or not.

There are 3 performance categories:
access time (as low as possible)
read speed (as high as possible)
write speed (as high as possible)

I have found once a google spreadsheet of microsd data ... I have lost the URL, but here is a local copy if you want to see for yourself.
http://ricsi.priv.at/microsd.xls

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks... that is really comprehensive. But a bit confusing. :S

So basically, A-Data has the best performance from al flashcards currently available? Does anyone know the best place to buy one? I live in the UK but am happy to import if cheaper. At the moment I'm looking at £15 and they are cheaper over the pond so I would like to try and shave a few £££ off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1