Hacking Micro SD Card Qualities - Acekard

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently recieved my Acekard 2.1, which has worked flawlessly. Although I am concerned with the Micro SD Card. It was supposed to be a 4GB Class 6 SDHC Kingston. Instead, I received a Transcend Card with the same specs. It works at the moment, but it seems cheaper and the Standard SD Card adaptor (size of normal SD Card) fails to work.

Has anyone had any experience with the Transcend cards and able to tell me if I should chase up the issue with my provider?

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently purchased an Acekard 2.1 w/ EZ-V 3in1 Expansion along with a Transcend 8gb Class 6 and all i can say is everything works great so far. Im still figuring out the 3in1 but everything else is working top notch. I also had a transcend with my old R4 and never had any issues. I can even play any castlevania game with no slow down or freezes. hope that helps!

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lithium210 said:
I just recently purchased an Acekard 2.1 w/ EZ-V 3in1 Expansion along with a Transcend 8gb Class 6 and all i can say is everything works great so far. Im still figuring out the 3in1 but everything else is working top notch. I also had a transcend with my old R4 and never had any issues. I can even play any castlevania game with no slow down or freezes. hope that helps!
That's reassuring, thankyou. My main concern is the faulty SD Adaptor, which I have emailed the provider about.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a bunch of those around which i never use. I always either use the sd/usb adapter that came with my new acekard OR i always stick to my Sandisk SD adapter, that one always seems to work right for me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you paid for a kingston make sure you get a kingston. i'm saying this because you can get the 4gb transcend for 5.99 online. the kingstons are more expensive. i own the 8gb class6 transcend which is currently in my R.P.G.. i love it so much i just ordered 2 more for my ak2.1s. as for the reader i use a kingston reader that came with my 2gb japanese kit. it works on sdhc and normal msd cards.

http://www.meritline.com/kingston-usb-micr...eader-red-.html

that is the reader i have.

cheers,

-another world

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If I purchase a cheap 1GB Card from local shops, will the adaptor work with the SDHC Card and if so, will it have the same high transfer rate?

EDIT: The reason for wanting to use the Adaptor card, rather than the USB Reader, is that I am able to leave it in the Card Reader of my Laptop, rather than needing to keep track of the USB Adaptor.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any card should work on acekard 2.1 but class 6 is recommended so you dont have any slow downs or lockups. You might see lockups on castlevania por with a class 2 card.

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lvt06 said:
Will class 2 Mirco SD cards work with Acekard?
Yes. It's just worth taking advantage of the higher capacity.

So, any Ideas on how to fix the SD adaptor Card?

I've come to the conclusion that the Adaptor is not SHDC Compliant. It was in the same packaging as the the Micro SD, though.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg sells an 8 GB Class 4 Kingston with USB adaptor for $19 and free shipping.

I'd advise NOT going to Radio Shack or Walmart to buy them, they overcharge. Their 1 GB cards cost about $15 or more.

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Diosoth said:
Newegg sells an 8 GB Class 4 Kingston with USB adaptor for $19 and free shipping.

I'd advise NOT going to Radio Shack or Walmart to buy them, they overcharge. Their 1 GB cards cost about $15 or more.
Oh, I live in Australia, so we don't have those stores, but I know what you mean. I would try the local computer shop, although I have reason to believe that the Card Adaptors are affected by SDHC-compliancy.

ROFL - I worked it out. I don't think my laptop card reader is SDHC compatible.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Velveteer said:
lvt06 said:
Will class 2 Mirco SD cards work with Acekard?
Yes. It's just worth taking advantage of the higher capacity.

So, any Ideas on how to fix the SD adaptor Card?

I've come to the conclusion that the Adaptor is not SHDC Compliant. It was in the same packaging as the the Micro SD, though.

I dont think you can fix the sd adaptor. Its always been luck with me on which ones work. Ive had SD/USB adaptors restart my computer or SD adaptors which make my card readers drive letters disappear from windows. Some card readers dont like those SD adaptors, you can try using a different reader.

lvt06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Diosoth said:

I went to a store like that, but in Australia - JB Hifi. They cost a bit more but i got it straight away.

I wasnt even thinking about Class 2 - 4 - 6.

But i dont think stores sell the better ones here. I asked for a kingston and got a sideways look.

Fingers crossed it works....I will be mighty pissed off if it doesnt....

Velveteer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
Velveteer said:
ROFL - I worked it out. I don't think my laptop card reader is SDHC compatible.

you will need a usb adaptor then, like the one i linked too.

-another world
I have a Usb Adaptor for the Micro SD. An external card reader would defeat the purpose of using the Adaptor card, so I won't bother.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
but if it doesn't read the newer sdhc (and sdxc in the future) how is it of any use to you?

also i'm a bit confused...
first you said it was because your laptop won't read sdhc, then you said you have an external reader. so your saying neither will do sdhc?

-another world

Angry_Games

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.angrygames.com
XP
Country
United States
Velveteer said:
I recently recieved my Acekard 2.1, which has worked flawlessly. Although I am concerned with the Micro SD Card. It was supposed to be a 4GB Class 6 SDHC Kingston. Instead, I received a Transcend Card with the same specs. It works at the moment, but it seems cheaper and the Standard SD Card adaptor (size of normal SD Card) fails to work.

Has anyone had any experience with the Transcend cards and able to tell me if I should chase up the issue with my provider?
I've used all kinds of Micros in different phones and devices. I myself purchased the Transcend Class 6 4GB SDHC. It's a great card, and should be as reliable as any other MicroSD on the market.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) the microsd -> sd adapters are just pin adapters, therefore they should all work with SDHC

2) have you tried updating your card readers drivers, it could just be the drivers are not SDHC compliant.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
1) the microsd -> sd adapters are just pin adapters, therefore they should all work with SDHC

2) have you tried updating your card readers drivers, it could just be the drivers are not SDHC compliant.

1) The Micro SD -> SD adaptors that came with my 2 GB Kingstons and my 4 GB Kingston SDHC were all identical, if that counts for anything

2) not quite. I own a Digital Concepts(Sakar) brand SD reader, and it will not read SDHC cards. I paid $13 for this thing, too. Meanwhile, the freebie Micro SD reader that stuffs4kids threw in with their Acekard will read SDHC. None of my readers required any drivers, XP detects al fo them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs