MGS 3D Issues Remains Unfixed In The Final Build

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't believe that MGS3D was done from scratch. Maybe some parts were (like those things that weren't in the original), but to say the entire thing was done from the ground up does not sound plausible when looking at the final product. We've seen games that were built from the ground up (like RE:E, MK7, even the Naked Snake demo), but considering they were also working on the HD versions (which is the reason I believe why the 3DS got a port and not an entirely new game like we thought we'd get), the focus became taking what they had, and using it as-is. Konami pulled out all the stops when optimizing MGS3 for the PS2, that many of the tricks they did there can't be done on other hardware as easily without spending more processing cycles to mimic it. The HD versions are running on more powerful devices, which allows them to make mistakes in optimization but have plenty of processing power to not worry about it. The 3DS is more powerful than the PS2, but not by leaps and bounds like the other devices are, and for porting such a game, it is more susceptible to having more problems.

Anyways, I played through the demo, and it was mainly during the dense forest cutscene areas that had the frame rate issues, while actual gameplay seemed to be rather steady in that regard. I had some Amazon credit, so I decided to buy the game (getting $10 pre-order credit from it too, which will go towards Kid Icarus). I needed more games for my 3DS.

D

Deleted_171835

I honestly don't believe that MGS3D was done from scratch. Maybe some parts were (like those things that weren't in the original), but to say the entire thing was done from the ground up does not sound plausible when looking at the final product. We've seen games that were built from the ground up (like RE:E, MK7, even the Naked Snake demo), but considering they were also working on the HD versions (which is the reason I believe why the 3DS got a port and not an entirely new game like we thought we'd get), the focus became taking what they had, and using it as-is. Konami pulled out all the stops when optimizing MGS3 for the PS2, that many of the tricks they did there can't be done on other hardware as easily without spending more processing cycles to mimic it. The HD versions are running on more powerful devices, which allows them to make mistakes in optimization but have plenty of processing power to not worry about it. The 3DS is more powerful than the PS2, but not by leaps and bounds like the other devices are, and for porting such a game, it is more susceptible to having more problems.

Anyways, I played through the demo, and it was mainly during the dense forest cutscene areas that had the frame rate issues, while actual gameplay seemed to be rather steady in that regard. I had some Amazon credit, so I decided to buy the game (getting $10 pre-order credit from it too, which will go towards Kid Icarus). I needed more games for my 3DS.
The HD collection was outsourced to another developer. It wasn't by Konami.

To be fair, the Vita is notably more powerful than the 3DS. It would be even more pathetic if that handheld couldn't run the game (i dunno if it has any lag, if so then lame). However, the 3DS is by no means at a disadvantage in regards to MGS3. At the very least, the 3DS is far and above the PS2's power. In proper hands, the game could have run at least at a constant 30fps or higher, along with a massive improvement in visuals with nothing having to be cut. There is no excuse for it running the way it is.
I'm still curious as to whether the Vita is getting a straight MGS3 port or if it'll have some upgraded textures and character models like Snake Eater 3D. Konami could have used some of the models and textures from the Naked Sample demo in the Vita HD collection.

As for the framerate, MGS3 on the Vita should at least run on a fixed 30FPS. If it's 60, even better.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Why not release a polished game? After Bethesda admitted to knowing about the many Skyrim on Ps3 issues they released it! I would rather have a full game than a half assed version!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Even still, the raw power of the devices running the HD versions can easily handle unoptimized routines of a past generation console, while the 3DS doesn't have that luxury without a total re-write, which I believe didn't happen here.

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no more screenshot comparing please, you can compare Ps2 and Ps3 screens but not 3DS, because simply the game looks much better on full 3D than plain screenshots

also, i didn't notice any frame drop, i think the demo and it's graphics are great, especially while crowling

D

Deleted_171835

Even still, the raw power of the devices running the HD versions can easily handle unoptimized routines of a past generation console, while the 3DS doesn't have that luxury without a total re-write, which I believe didn't happen here.
That doesn't invalidate what I said.
but considering they were also working on the HD versions (which is the reason I believe why the 3DS got a port and not an entirely new game like we thought we'd get), the focus became taking what they had, and using it as-is.
The HD collection wasn't made by Konami. They weren't busy working on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: bitches