Gaming Metroid Other M Worth Playing?

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I played a bit of back in the day, it was interesting but I always wondered why they did not make use of the nunchuk and have a alternate classic controllers scheme (where right analog can be used in first person mode).

I grew up on 2D Metroid games (Metroid and Super Metroid) so using the d-pad to control Samus is nothing new but from what I remembered with this game it's just seems wonky and imprecise (felt Samus would have controlled better with analog).

I know I'm going to be the laughing stock on this forum but I've never played a 3D Metroid game before, I plan on playing the trilogy soon to get ready for Metroid Prime 4.

This is because did not really get into console FPS games until I got an Xbox 360 (I also owned a Wii in the same generation), before that I only played a selected few FPS games on PC with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Nemix77,
Reactions: MUDD_BR and weatMod

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I'll give it a shot.

Been watching reviews for this game, most reviewers who tank this game expect a traditional Metroid game.

Some reviewers do bring up the limited control scheme decision like myself but from what I remembered it really didn't take away from the gameplay (stated above I found it interesting for what little I played).

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, didn't even know that existed. That hack seems to fix fix most of my gripes with Other M. Makes it worth a playthrough at the very least.
it fixes nothing really it just changes some colors

the person who made it sees all the same faults I saw from day one but is not able to fix them because it would require rebuilding the whole engine.
Can't fix the shitty digital control, can't fix the stupid concentration and just put in item pick up for health and missiles.

I honestly can't figure out WTF developers are thinking over at Nintendo, Ninja , or whoever they contract out their games to half the time.
I seen them fuck up so many games that could be good if not for their stupid experimental shit tier decisions , case and point other M and KI uprising.
Everyone can see what is wrong with these games except the people who develop them.
They are getting just like Disney they do not listen to fans and they DGAF about what they think
they rather just not listen to fans and completely fuck up perfectly good franchises for what ever reason
I am still not able to figure it out, ok social justice BS can explain some of it but not all of it like the shitty control schemes.
I mean the mistakes are so glaringly obvious, I mean when you need to include a stupid plastic stand with your game in order to make it even somewhat comfortable to play
(and make it totally unplayable portably when it's only release is on a portable system) then that should give you the 1st clue you are doing something drastically wrong and need to change direction.

Funny thing is I had all the same complaints as the person making this hack from day one but was attacked by fanboys for pointing them out seeing this just makes me feel more justified in my initial criticisms.

Last edited by weatMod,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
can't fix the shitty digital control
Are the 8-ways inputs hardware- or software-based? In 007 TWINE for N64 there is only one control stick, but the software actually allows for two (see emulators).

Anyway to answer the question of the OP: Other M was alright. I enjoy it more than the Prime series as I don´t get stuck as much. The 1st person part feels pretty cool. However, I would have liked to see optional Nunchuk support (e.g. for a 2nd playthrough).

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if you've played all other real Metroid games already. I would definitely recommend Other M over Federation Force, but possibly not Metroid Prime Pinball.

Last edited by Glyptofane,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting on the Switch remasters before delving into the Prime series so this is also my first 3d metroid. Its got some annoying flaws but not to the point of making me quit, which make being a Samus fan pretty OK compared to being a Sonic fan. The Japanese voice acting is also less wooden (outside of Samus) so its worth looking into the undub version. I wouldn't touch the Maximum edition here either for a first playthrough as it seems to delete most of the story, as questionable as it is, it is part of the experience and you won't really understand the reaction people had without that context. That said this is not a story-heavy game so I'm not sure why people rail on that part so much, you spend most of your time running through infested corridors like any of the 2D metroids.

I will warn you that you emulate this at your own peril. Any input lag makes the need to switch between 1st/3rd person extremely annoying, and the dolphinbar w/real wiimote is somewhat laggy on top of usual emulation lag. Not to mention all the sequences requiring a split-second dodge. You can probably do good with mouse emulation for infrared aiming, if you can figure out how to program the concentration gesture.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not unless you're curious, or metroid fan... or you can accept that you'll be playing a 3D game with a make shift nes controller. :ninja:

It gets loads of hate, but what game doesn't that tries to be different than what it used to be. (Okay there more reasons that just not being what it used to be.) :ninja:

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people will complain about Metroid Other M I'm not one of them. If you want a game with a curvy younger Samus & and don't mind motion controls Other M is definitely for you. I say that Samus is younger bc Adam is still alive & he's dead in every other game.

Last edited by SSG Vegeta,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Most people will complain about Metroid Other M I'm not one of them. If you want a game with a curvy younger Samus & and don't mind motion controls Other M is definitely for you. I say that Samus is younger bc Adam is still alive & he's dead in every other game.
If the only positive you can come up with for a game is that it has a "curvy younger Samus," it's probably a bad game. Sure, if those are the standards by which you measure the quality of your games, then Metroid: Other M is for you. On the other hand, if you like good games, or Metroid games, then Other M is not really going to hit that mark. It has none of the exploration of the other games in the franchise, none of the sense of discovery, it's just an extremely basic, linear action game with weird controls and offputting first-person segments, a bunch of extremely hamfisted symbolism (Other M = Mother, Bottle Ship, Baby's Cry) and a story where the highlight is a sub-dinner-party murder mystery.

If a curvy younger Samus is enough for you to put up with all of that crushing mediocrity, then maybe Metroid: Other M is for you. Or you could just watch the cutscenes on YouTube if that's what you're really interested in. Frankly, there's better ways to look at cartoon boobs than to subject yourself to bad video games.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the only positive you can come up with for a game is that it has a "curvy younger Samus," it's probably a bad game. Sure, if those are the standards by which you measure the quality of your games, then Metroid: Other M is for you. On the other hand, if you like good games, or Metroid games, then Other M is not really going to hit that mark. It has none of the exploration of the other games in the franchise, none of the sense of discovery, it's just an extremely basic, linear action game with weird controls and offputting first-person segments, a bunch of extremely hamfisted symbolism (Other M = Mother, Bottle Ship, Baby's Cry) and a story where the highlight is a sub-dinner-party murder mystery.

If a curvy younger Samus is enough for you to put up with all of that crushing mediocrity, then maybe Metroid: Other M is for you. Or you could just watch the cutscenes on YouTube if that's what you're really interested in. Frankly, there's better ways to look at cartoon boobs than to subject yourself to bad video games.

No one said anything about boobs. You really did a whole paragraph to bash me for how I feel about Other M. If you hate Other M that's on you I couldn't care less don't aim your negative views at me. Some of us actually enjoy Other M take your hate somewhere else. You don't know anything about my gaming standards keep your comments to yourself.

Last edited by SSG Vegeta,
Reactions: september796

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
More than people will tell you it is. I enjoyed it very much for me Prime is only good in the original (2 and 3 were meh...)

Other M was good, better than people say it is.

still not on par with Super Metroid or Fusion or Prime 1 though.

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo, it's not terrible but it's also not great. I have 100% in the game and it was enjoyable for what it was. I'd say it's worth a playthrough but don't set your expectations too high.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It is the first time. its replay value is low as it lacks content. the way i see it is its like an interactive movie;
once it's over that is it. there is nothing really to do after you watched it.
Its really amazing though! but to bad it lacks a lot of content.

give it a shot certanly, especially if youre a fan of the series, there is a lot to see, and CGI movies are amazingly done!

Be sure not to use any mods, experience it as is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I Thought OTher M Was Amazing all around great music Top Graphics and Deep Fun Gameplay 8/10
Yeah.....not really deep. thats actually its main issue, that its not deep at all, almost no exploration at all.

...it was enjoyable for what it was.
Exactly what i'd say!

...for me Prime is only good in the original (2 and 3 were meh...)

Other M was good, better than people say it is.

still not on par with Super Metroid or Fusion or Prime 1 though.
Prime 2 is definitive version, with dual worlds! lol.
Prime 1 is bare bones, prime 3 is to crowded.
But each to its own i guess...

Super is way overrated game. but again, its just my opinion.

If you want a game with a curvy younger Samus...
Yes Please! :rolleyes:
I personally think people should stop with musculine gender bender samus lol
curves all the way!

Last edited by MetoMeto,

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you don't get it. booba = criteria for good game

Reactions: september796

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you don't get it. booba = criteria for good game
I mean, a game with fanservice is always going to be better than the same game with the fanservice replaced with a PSA about how you need to treat people differently based on the colour of their skin.

Other M caught a lot of fair flack for gameplay and the contrivance for lost upgrades making no sense for defensive items, and a lot of less-fair flack because the Prime games portrayed her out-of-character and Other M didn't. (People getting mad at her being terrified of the monster who killed all four of her parents, say hello!)

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: