Gaming Metroid dread?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, what kind of gamer would I be if I hadn't played that classic game? Super Metroid is the best game in the series. There is a good reason to why people are aching for a 2D side scrolling Metroid and that's because Super Metroid was just so damn good.

Basically:
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball

Of course Other M doesn't really exist, it was a joke game released by Nintendo so it doesn't count in the series. :ph34r:

Metroid is a series that at it's best makes you feel alone and isolated. It needs a certain atmosphere for it to work properly, and that's why Other M will never be a good Metroid title. They tried to do the "best if both worlds" thing by doing trying to do the 2D thing and failing and then doing the 3D view...and failing but it never worked out, even with the shitty script this could have been a good game but Team Ninja just didn't manage to master a single aspect of the game and we were left with a poorly directed mess of a title.

Still, *trollmode* at least it's better than Kingdom Hearts or Monster Hunter.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay.
It's strange though, for me Metroid M was more exciting than the first-person shooter Metroids one though three. When i saw the first one on GameCube is was a major turnoff. And they kept pushing the first-person mode on the whole Trilogy. And when Metroid M came along i really liked it and enjoyed playing it.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Pretty much agree with that order of goodness of Metroid Games :) But you forgot to add Other M to the list! :)
I'd swap places with Fusion and Zero Mission I think.
Other M would come behind Corruption I think. They ruined Samus and a bit of the feeling with the game. But in no way was the game a really bad game.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay.
It's strange though, for me Metroid M was more exciting than the first-person shooter Metroids one though three. When i saw the first one on GameCube is was a major turnoff. And they kept pushing the first-person mode on the whole Trilogy. And when Metroid M came along i really liked it and enjoyed playing it.
The problem is that you see the Prime games as first person shooters when in fact they are more first person adventure games. The games were pure Metroid titles. They had the sound, gameplay, atmosphere as the original titles the only difference was the first person view. Basically the first game was as perfect of a transition of moving into 3D gameplay as Ocarina of Time. Retro Studios have done something that Nintendo failed to do on the N64 and what Team Ninja has failed horribly on the Wii in making an incredible experience that has aged extremely well today. Other M on the other hand plays like a poorly thought out Playstation game where the team didn't have enough time or resources.

But you know...different stroke for different folks and all that bollocks. I get the impression that those who like Other M won't like it as much many years from now, kinda like how I don't think StarFox Adventures was even half as good as I thought it was when I first played it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E