Method to easily debloat crap from your "Smart" TV

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all of them will. I remember wanting to put a custom OS on my Philips Android TV, but a rep on their official forum stated something like (I'm paraphrasing from years ago here) ‘A custom operating system cannot be installed, because the user doesn't have a right to root an expensive device like a TV.’
Most will likely say that, so to them, screw their bullshit bloatware OS and I'll just clean it up myself then. You know, I'd actually prefer if Basic TVs still existed rather than Smart TVs, and just keep the Android stuff to an Android TV Box or the likes.

I'm sure they still exist although the Smart TVs are more commonly sold.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems you guys are happy with your LGs, I'm not.
Sure, good screens, but advert / app / bloat wise, I don't like it.
No way to disable notifications / adverts (Try out "Disney+ only $x.xx") junk I see in the top right corner sometimes.
When I hover over the youtube app on the home screen, I see all these featured videos that don't interest me.
I could go on.

I've rooted it and installed the homebrew store - https://github.com/RootMyTV/RootMyTV.github.io - and here are some cool things you can do.
https://github.com/Simon34545/lginputhook - remap buttons on the remote to custom apps (wasn't 100% perfect)
https://github.com/bashalarmist/war-webos-ad-remover - remove the junk I explained above (not used yet, keep meaning to)
https://github.com/lgstreamer/dts_restore - personally no need as I use an a/v reciever

A big thing was installing the ad free youtube, works great!
Oof looks like LG patched all rooting already

Was hoping to root my new OLED ha I guess that’s what we have Xbox ones and kodi for

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My LG TV is great, I just wish I could disable the auto-dimming/auto-contrast. There's no setting to turn it off, and when I'm playing games in an emulator or working in Photoshop, having the screen dim and brighten constantly as the picture changes is very distracting. That's my only beef with it. The latency is great under gaming mode, and HDR works as expected.

This, perhaps?

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/th...fixes-our-biggest-complaint-how-to-turn-it-on

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'd live to buy a service remote. Got any leads on some?
different way - if you have an android device (or any device really) that can transmit IR, you can do it that way.
I used some app on android to get service mode once I think, there's certainly a paid app for that.
extra credit option - I've seen some old source code for gb homebrew, remote control, could adapt that lol
Post automatically merged:

Oof looks like LG patched all rooting already

Was hoping to root my new OLED ha I guess that’s what we have Xbox ones and kodi for
Depending on the version you're on, there still may be a way.
The 'main' method on rootmytv hasn't worked for a while, but in the issues/comments there are discussions about other methods that may work for you. / Links to Russian forums with more info etc.

• Wow
Reactions: TheStonedModder

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd live to buy a service remote. Got any leads on some?

I just checked, my harmony remote has a link to the service menu. So maybe if you have something like a PSP 1000 lying around and can find the code, maybe that would be an alternative?

That said, I would just experiment with some of the settings first e.g. disable auto black levels.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and cearp

DarkKingMetalSlime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've factory reset the TV, no Google, and removed all the junk, and it's not connected to the internet so no chance it'll update by itself. It's as clean as possible.

I'll just use an Android TV Box for SmartTube and to watch movies/shows via USB. It also got the debloat treatment.
All you need is a LG service remote. Push In Start enter the codes 1126 or 0413 and you're in. From there, go to System 1 and you'll see "Dimming On". Just turn it off. There are other settings to help with this and I'll update this post when I get the time with full instructions.

For anyone still interestd in rooting their LG tv, the crashd.md method seems to work. It worked well for me.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4