Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://beebom.com/how-remove-pre-installed-apps-android-tv/

Used this method myself and worked smoothly so the bloatware it originally came pre-installed with, it's gone!

Manufacturers should really not be allowed to do this, but phones and tablets are also cursed with garbage apps pre-installed, too. 😕
I presume that the procedure is the same with wired internet connections to the TV and PC?

Debloating my android based Sony Bravia is long overdue.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I presume that the procedure is the same with wired internet connections to the TV and PC?

Debloating my android based Sony Bravia is long overdue.
As long as it's the same IP it should work.

My Smart (ass) TV now has a dumb "Shop" tab to buy movies as if I'd want to. I've looked through the list to disable the tab, but seems there isn't an easy way to.

On the main tab, there was ads though I got rid of them by disabling the "recommended" app that was delivering it. Bunch of f'in crap that I never wanted.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
As long as it's the same IP it should work.

My Smart (ass) TV now has a dumb "Shop" tab to buy movies as if I'd want to. I've looked through the list to disable the tab, but seems there isn't an easy way to.

On the main tab, there was ads though I got rid of them by disabling the "recommended" app that was delivering it. Bunch of f'in crap that I never wanted.

On my Shield TV, you can get replacement launchers which can allow you to display the bare minimum, might be worth looking into.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an LG smart TV on WebOS, but it's just got YouTube, Netflix, a web browser, and some media playing options from USB. Also connects to Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and updates itself. That's about it. So it's already pretty bare-bones and debloated.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have an LG smart TV on WebOS, but it's just got YouTube, Netflix, a web browser, and some media playing options from USB. Also connects to Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and updates itself. That's about it. So it's already pretty bare-bones and debloated.
Same, can confirm LG isn't bloated. Also you can lock the web browser and apps download from within the Settings.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an LG LCD 32" bought in 2012 and still runs great. No built-in Android whatsoever, just a TV.

I've also bought a 19" LG TV a while ago and no problems with that either. :) I'm no LG fanboy, but they do make quality TVs, for sure.

Reactions: Jayro

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It seems you guys are happy with your LGs, I'm not.
Sure, good screens, but advert / app / bloat wise, I don't like it.
No way to disable notifications / adverts (Try out "Disney+ only $x.xx") junk I see in the top right corner sometimes.
When I hover over the youtube app on the home screen, I see all these featured videos that don't interest me.
I could go on.

I've rooted it and installed the homebrew store - https://github.com/RootMyTV/RootMyTV.github.io - and here are some cool things you can do.
https://github.com/Simon34545/lginputhook - remap buttons on the remote to custom apps (wasn't 100% perfect)
https://github.com/bashalarmist/war-webos-ad-remover - remove the junk I explained above (not used yet, keep meaning to)
https://github.com/lgstreamer/dts_restore - personally no need as I use an a/v reciever

A big thing was installing the ad free youtube, works great!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LG also makes very shit-tastic televisions. As does every tv manufacturer. But most also make great sets. It's not as easy as just saying Samsungs are great or Sonys are great, or anything else. It 100% depends on the series/model. For example, the high end TCL and Hisense tv's will annihilate the lower end Sony, LG, and Samsungs any day of the week. My mothers LG is so crappy you can literally see the backlight grid pattern when watching normal material.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Main thing I like about Web OS, Tizen and VIVA from my expeirence is that you can more or less ignore the smart functionality, disconnect them from the internet and basically use them like 'dumb TVs' without any real issue, firmware updates aside.

My personal philosophy when it comes to TVs is 'buy a good TV first, Smart TV second, because the latter can always be augmented'.

I've dealt with people both at my retail job and personal life who went against this and they paid the price, both literally (£20 dongle Vs £220 TV) and metaphorically (**** experience).

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've factory reset the TV, no Google, and removed all the junk, and it's not connected to the internet so no chance it'll update by itself. It's as clean as possible.

I'll just use an Android TV Box for SmartTube and to watch movies/shows via USB. It also got the debloat treatment.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
LG also makes very shit-tastic televisions. As does every tv manufacturer. But most also make great sets. It's not as easy as just saying Samsungs are great or Sonys are great, or anything else. It 100% depends on the series/model. For example, the high end TCL and Hisense tv's will annihilate the lower end Sony, LG, and Samsungs any day of the week. My mothers LG is so crappy you can literally see the backlight grid pattern when watching normal material.
My LG TV is great, I just wish I could disable the auto-dimming/auto-contrast. There's no setting to turn it off, and when I'm playing games in an emulator or working in Photoshop, having the screen dim and brighten constantly as the picture changes is very distracting. That's my only beef with it. The latency is great under gaming mode, and HDR works as expected.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the LG 48C2, too bad it's webos (rip apk) :cry:
Post automatically merged:

My LG TV is great, I just wish I could disable the auto-dimming/auto-contrast. There's no setting to turn it off, and when I'm playing games in an emulator or working in Photoshop, having the screen dim and brighten constantly as the picture changes is very distracting. That's my only beef with it. The latency is great under gaming mode, and HDR works as expected.
i had that's issue in photoshop, it's because of the hdr (disable it in windows settings)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have the LG 48C2, too bad it's webos (rip apk) :cry:
Post automatically merged:

i had that's issue in photoshop, it's because of the hdr (disable it in windows settings)
I keep HDR disabled unless I'm watching movies. The issue persists. And yeah, it's WebOS here too.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
You could maybe try side-loading a custom Android OS, if it supports this method.
Not all of them will. I remember wanting to put a custom OS on my Philips Android TV, but a rep on their official forum stated something like (I'm paraphrasing from years ago here) ‘A custom operating system cannot be installed, because the user doesn't have a right to root an expensive device like a TV.’

• Haha
Reactions: cearp and SylverReZ

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep HDR disabled unless I'm watching movies. The issue persists. And yeah, it's WebOS here too.
Do you have a power or energy saving/ECO mode enabled? This is usually what causes the screen to darken and brighten on it's own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye