Messed up screens

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CompC, Jan 22, 2010.

Jan 22, 2010

Messed up screens by CompC at 4:52 AM (1,264 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. CompC
    OP

Member CompC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I bought and installed a custom shell for my DSi. It looks very cool.

[​IMG]

Anyway, as you can see in the picture, the screens are a little messed up. When you first turn on the system, the top screen looks almost normal, but as you continue using it, it gradually gets darker and eventually the colors turn weird, or seem inverted.

The bottom screen is mostly usable, but the colors are a bit lighter and both screens seem to have lines that almost look like scanlines though them. When I compared the same game on a DS lite and my DSi, the DS lite's colors were much more vivid.

Obviously, I messed something up when I took apart and put my DSi back together when installing the new shell. I've never taken anything apart like this before, so I knew I would probably make a mistake.

Is there any way I can fix this myself? Does anyone know how to fix it? Obviously I can't send it to Nintendo… Does anyone know of anywhere that would fix this for me, if I can't fix it myself?

Thanks!

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Make sure both ribbon cables are secured correctly and have no extreme kinks or small tears in.

3. CompC
    OP

Member CompC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this before, but I noticed a little bump on the ribbon cable connecting from the top screen. I don't want to take it apart again to get a picture, so I made what it looks like with Photoshop:

[​IMG]

My dad helped me put this together, and I think he accidentally made that bump when he was using tweezers to move the ribbon cable to connect it.

He says that he doesn't think that that's the problem, and that the screens are obviously working, since they're showing something. He says it's a problem with whatever is sending images to the screen to be shown.

(Not sure if I agree with him, but that's what he says.)

4. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    About how big was the bump, like did it put a hole in the cable. ?

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    9 times out of 10 its the ribbon cable if you'd fried the part you're talking about the whole thing probably wouldn't work as that's on the mobo. You have to make sure that its in correctly, if your Dad's been pulling at it with tweezers one of the cables could have moved slightly so it gives a very slightly incorrect picture. Check the cables are in fully.

6. CompC
    OP

Member CompC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It was probably about the same size as in that picture.

Though now that I think about it, I think the bump was on the other side of the ribbon cable than on that picture.

I guess I could take a picture if I need to…

Also, after I was already having this problem, I opened up the DSi again and reconnected the ribbon cables to the two screens. The problem afterward was still exactly the same.

7. CompC
    OP

Member CompC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I found a place near where I live that might be able to fix it… But if I can, I'd like to fix it myself. Does anyone know if I'll be able to?