Homebrew Merry Christmas - Have some RAM Dumping!

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it error prompts a couple of seconds after a grey screen, then restarts, then nothing on SD card.
Same here. Firmware is 4.5.0-10J. And I lost ability to launch any original DS game or flashcard afterwards, fixed it by resetting system to factory settings (just powering off didn't help).

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First install failed in verify, then i reinstalled. I puted the launcher and when i press into System setting's it failed too, console crashed and restarted with error msg. I getted the SD and i can't seen the DUMP.bin, so i figured launcher.dat may be corrupt, i redownload and i get the same checksum. The file size is like 35Kb, but when i open with hxd editor, only is used 204 bytes and the other part is fulled by 0. Also, i'm not realy sure about the path: YS:/DUMP.BIN... ><

fierce waffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First install failed in verify, then i reinstalled. I puted the launcher and when i press into System setting's it failed too, console crashed and restarted with error msg. I getted the SD and i can't seen the DUMP.bin, so i figured launcher.dat may be corrupt, i redownload and i get the same checksum. The file size is like 35Kb, but when i open with hxd editor, only is used 204 bytes and the other part is fulled by 0. Also, i'm not realy sure about the path: YS:/DUMP.BIN... ><

Your Launcher.dat is correct. Dont worry about the path. It's some stuff we had to do inorder to get the SD mounted(it mounts as YS:/)
EDIT : Are you on 4.5? That may be the problem since weve been developing on 4.3.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Has this worked for anybody besides Fierce Waffle? We need people to test.
Same here. Firmware is 4.5.0-10J. And I lost ability to launch any original DS game or flashcard afterwards, fixed it by resetting system to factory settings (just powering off didn't help).
Are you using his ROP-loader? I'm using Gateway's ROP-loader and my DS mode was not affected. Still, RAM dumper doesn't work.

fierce waffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has this worked for anybody besides Fierce Waffle? We need people to test.

Are you using his ROP-loader? I'm using Gateway's ROP-loader and my DS mode was not affected. Still, RAM dumper does't work.

You NEED to use our ROP-Loader. Gateways will not work with our Launcher.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A group of about 3 other people that I have been working with(who would like to remain anonymous for the time being) have been working on getting a working ROP Loader and RAM dumping since approximately the 18th. We've been rushing a little bit to get a BETA release ready for today. This is a messy release and isn't complete yet.

With all that being said, download the 3DS Toolkit v0.0.0.1 from here : http://www.fiercewaffle.com/softwareArticle.php?id=10

Currently the toolkit only supports RAM dumping, but we are working on more features.

Enjoy! (and don't complain)
Nice release, this should be of help to developers and help speed up homebrew progress for the 3DS. Publicly accessible RAM dumps should help people figure out the ins and outs of the 3DS firmware more thoroughly.
Is this making use of a kernel mode exploit? (i.e. is it limited to firmware 4.1-4.5 or does it successfully dump RAM without needing such an exploit?)

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Launcher.dat is correct. Dont worry about the path. It's some stuff we had to do inorder to get the SD mounted(it mounts as YS:/)
EDIT : Are you on 4.5? That may be the problem since weve been developing on 4.3.

Yes, i'm at 4.5 like 80%+ of forum. If this tool works only in 4.3 it's a little bit usless... ><

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ROP chains cannot be considered stolen code, they're just a list of instructions for the program to perform, but the instructions themselves are already on the system. Saying that a ROP chain of Nintendo instructions is stealing Nintendo's code is like saying that knowing someone's address is stealing from their mailbox.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would test this, but I don't want to brick DS mode again. Fierce waffle, you should double-check that the 2 checksums are calculated and written properly...

Reactions: Snailface

Hauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to update a 3DS to 4.3? Ive only heard about 4.5 with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I got a 3DS on 3. something I believe certainly below 4.x :)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Is there a way to update a 3DS to 4.3? Ive only heard about 4.5 with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I got a 3DS on 3. something I believe certainly below 4.x :)
Put this "4.3." in the search box without quotes and get a hold of one of the games (physical cart) shown.
http://3ds.essh.co/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If we had guru meditation errors make a return on the DS can we kick it even more old school and have poke codes make a return a little bit down the line?

Anyway can't wait to get a bit of actual 3DS ROM hacking going on. Will this RAM dumping stuff get me a plaintext binary I can pull apart?

ROP chains cannot be considered stolen code, they're just a list of instructions for the program to perform, but the instructions themselves are already on the system. Saying that a ROP chain of Nintendo instructions is stealing Nintendo's code is like saying that knowing someone's address is stealing from their mailbox.
I was watching a video the other day and it compared the idea of how a ransom note is made, it seemed like a useful analogy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was watching a video the other day and it compared the idea of how a ransom note is made, it seemed like a useful analogy.
Now that you mention it, it sort of fits, yeah... except in the case of a ransom note, you have to physically remove the letters from a newspaper, destroying the newspaper in the process... so it is "stealing" the letters. A ROP chain would probably be more like telling someone which letters in which order he's supposed to read on an intact newspaper. :P

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried this twice on 4.4. When installing the ROP loader, I got a verify error. Ended up bricking my DS profile both times with a system format being the only fix.

I'd strongly recommend against trying this unless you're on 4.3.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What's that people you are calling "bricking DS mode"? Does this consist on actually leaving DS mode unusable or you are just trying to say that the DS profile hack got messed up and you had to reapply the hack again?.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn