Mercenaries is the one that's really pushing 3DS hardware-wise

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ladies and gentlemen enjoy your Iwata asks! Yes that info is on the second page. I'm kinda surprise that's it's Mercenaries, really thought Revelation was the one pushing the 3DS to its limits cuz that looks damn more impressive visually.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing Mercs has more enemies on screen and uses the same engine as Revelations, plus the game doesn't look half bad either.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ladies and gentlemen enjoy your Iwata asks! Yes that info is on the second page. I'm kinda surprise that's it's Mercenaries, really thought Revelation was the one pushing the 3DS to its limits cuz that looks damn more impressive visually.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing Mercs has more enemies on screen and uses the same engine as Revelations, plus the game doesn't look half bad either.
Absolutely. That makes total sense.

D

Deleted_171835

Haha, whatever. Mercenaries doesn't look that good. Revelations is miles better.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enemies from a distance look like ugly 2D pre-renders to me on Mercs.

Does the game slow down if enemies are closer? I think the "2D pre-renders" are in part due to the crappy 3DS resolution. I remember reading a MGS3D preview that complained about enemies being hardly visible from a difference due to the resolution.

I mean I haven't played either so I'm just shooting blind here. Obviously Revelations looks better but if it contains more closed off environments (meaning less area to render) and less enemies (meaning less objects on screen) then Mercs 3D could be the more technically "impressive" title.

D

Deleted_171835

Enemies from a distance look like ugly 2D pre-renders to me on Mercs.

Does the game slow down if enemies are closer? I think the "2D pre-renders" are in part due to the crappy 3DS resolution. I remember reading a MGS3D preview that complained about enemies being hardly visible from a difference due to the resolution.

I mean I haven't played either so I'm just shooting blind here. Obviously Revelations looks better but if it contains more closed off environments (meaning less area to render) and less enemies (meaning less objects on screen) then Mercs 3D could be the more technically "impressive" title.
Enemies from far back shouldn't look "ugly 2D pre-renders" because of the resolution. That's more to do with the fact that Mercenaries was a pretty shoddy game that was rushed for release and not optimized for the 3DS. When Capcom mentions it here, I think they mean that it gave them a feel for the hardware. Not that it's the most technically impressive game.

Oh and for MGS3D, that was only a claim by Eurogamer for a final boss fight where you needed to use a sniper to aim at an enemy. Not something common throughout the game.

Revelations does have quite a bit of open areas and enemies. And it manages to look much better than Mercenaries with them.

Reactions: 3 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, Mercs is still the beginning. I'm sure future games will push the hardware even more.

I'm a little surprised it's Mercs though. Not visual wise (it looks fantastic even though there are occasional glitches) but just... Surprised

Reactions: 2 people

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that Mercs renders far away objects in 2D and as you move closer they are rendered into 3D. May just be me but Revealations was always rendered in 3D.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that Mercs renders far away objects in 2D and as you move closer they are rendered into 3D. May just be me but Revealations was always rendered in 3D.
Far away zombies are rendered as sprites and once you are close to them they become rendered in 3D. Honestly its not like it did a huge impact on graphics mainly due to the fact that you would concentrate more on closer enemies than those far away. Basically mercs was just testing the waters for revelations development, nothing more than that.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Well maybe The Mercenaries isn't optimized for the hardware enough, I mean there's lot's of people complaining about slowdowns, not only in The Mercenaries but other crappier looking games too.

Not implying that The Mercenaries looks crappy.

Here's the quote
"In terms of it being a developmental challenge, I would say that Mercenaries is the one that's really pushing it hardware-wise."

hmm...

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Well maybe The Mercenaries isn't optimized for the hardware enough, I mean there's lot's of people complaining about slowdowns, not only in The Mercenaries but other crappier looking games too.

Not implying that The Mercenaries looks crappy.

Here's the quote
"In terms of it being a developmental challenge, I would say that Mercenaries is the one that's really pushing it hardware-wise."

hmm...

This says it all.
People are over thinking this.
Mercenaries was more of a developmental challenge. In other words when they ported over Resi5 to 3DS from PS3 and had it running, they then had to optomise it for 3DS.
They do not mean that GRAPHICALLY Mercinaries is better.
It was their first 3DS game so developing it was more of a challenge.

Reactions: 1 person

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its like playing a ps2 emulator on pc rather than playing ff13 on the ps3

its quite strange tht the system has been pushed so early on. its as if, there were many ideas but the ds could not do it and when there is a possibility now, they have put everything into it.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
its like playing a ps2 emulator on pc rather than playing ff13 on the ps3

its quite strange tht the system has been pushed so early on. its as if, there were many ideas but the ds could not do it and when there is a possibility now, they have put everything into it.

One thing I know for certain is that revelations is only pushing one core and the 3DS has two.
Revelations is what we as consumers should use as the graphical standard for games to come.
It's not pushing the hardware too much and 3DS still has a whole lot more to give in terms of visuals.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You certainly can't tell just by looking.

Well, I'd guess that the Mercenaries was more of a port to the system, while Revelations was built from the ground up with the 3DS' specs in mind and so was better optimized.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-