OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMSPD-4096-...0841&sr=1-2

2: http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Memory-Stick...0841&sr=1-3

After my last post I was planning to get an 8GB memory stick, I decided otherwise now since it seems a little bit redundant. I'm trying to get a 4GB one now, a little extra for music and stuff like that. Anyone know if these two are any different? I recently purchased the 2nd one, just now I realized there's two of them and I just want to make sure I didn't make the wrong purchase. Thanks for any information anyone can give.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the first one is in retail package
while the second one just comes in a anti-static bag

the first one is the same one I have now, got it over a year ago when they were like $55, lol
and I remember the 1GB sandisk gamer edition I got for xmas in 05... $95
laugh.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And you'd be silly to get a fake, and doubly silly to get a fake 16Gb. Stick with the Sandisk sticks and if possible go for the Ultra II range.

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new to the PSP.

I was wondering, how do you guys feel about microSD-to-Pro-Duo Adapters, instead of actual Memory Sticks?

I'm asking because the Memosticks seem a bit high in price, and since I'm also into the DS scene, I have three 4Gigs microSDs, and two 8Giggers laying around, so it would be convenient.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have the memory already, the Photofast adapter is a nice cheap solution for you. Optimally the 8Gb cards will be Class 6 but people have claimed Class 4 are just as good.

LuminousKey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all the help. I know the questions I usually ask are a little foolish and paranoid but I can't help it
tongue.gif
. Also, I would get the Ultra II but its a little bit too expensive right now (I'm a little low right now). Thanks again.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
If you have the memory already, the Photofast adapter is a nice cheap solution for you. Optimally the 8Gb cards will be Class 6 but people have claimed Class 4 are just as good.

actually the "class X" thing doesnt really mean much. a class 6 card just means that the company guarantees it will have faster than 6mb/sec transfer speeds. memory makers wish to cover their asses, and so they actually make the cards alot faster than their class rating my 2 a-data class 6 4gb cards do about 10~11mb/sec for transfer. my first a-data 4gb class 6 actually had transfer speeds of ~20mb/s (holy shit) but then the stupid card reader that came with my m3 real bricked it ='( (it played the castlevanias with zero freezing, and twewy worked as well)

but it doesnt really matter what class the cards are when you are using them for a PSP. just about any card will be faster, and have a quicker random access time than a PSP, dont believe me? try to dump a UMD, it will take like half an hour.

edit:

ok, so i got to wondering just how much faster a memstick is than a um, and i tested them both with HD Tach. the results were quite amazing

ok, heres the stats from my fake sony 4gb memory stick:
memstickhdtach.jpg
and heres the results from the UMD:
umdhdtach.jpg
My jaw dropped when i saw the random access time of the umd - over 900ms.
apparently the speed of the UMD went way up towards the end of the memory, because it is a 1.6gb game (gta: vice) and the last .4gb has nothing on it.

ive never seen anyone try to speed test a UMD before, so i think the results are interesting.

legit2gb.jpg
thats my 2gb sandisk legit one that i use as an mms

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Essentially you're just agreeing with me that Class 6 sticks are likely to be faster than Class 4. And your last sentence doesn't make any sense.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Essentially you're just agreeing with me that Class 6 sticks are likely to be faster than Class 4. And your last sentence doesn't make any sense.
my last sentence makes sense... it doesnt matter the speed of the memory stick, because the memory stick will be way faster than an original UMD. the games that you will be playing on your memory stick are designed to be played on a UMD, so the speed doesnt really matter.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Your last sentence makes sense now you've edited it...poor show though for doing so to make it look like i wasn't.

Edit...and why the heck did you start bringing UMD's into the discussion. Up until that point no-one had even mentioned them.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here are some various benchmarks from my cards

first the 32MB stick that comes with the PSP
94616666.jpg

next a legit sandisk 1GB gamer edition card
8792197.jpg

and finally a legit sandisk 4GB
26542042.jpg

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
Your last sentence makes sense now you've edited it...poor show though for doing so to make it look like i wasn't.

Edit...and why the heck did you start bringing UMD's into the discussion. Up until that point no-one had even mentioned them.

his point I assume is that people whine and moan and bitch about the DX memsticks for not being as fast as real ones, when really they are more than fast enough for the PSP

bozzer123

Trophies
XP
Country
i recently bought a photofast CR-5400 with 2 class 6 micro sd cards for £30.
I am more than happy with it as i have 15gb free space on my psp.
The load speeds are faster than on UMDs.
Blackspeed said read speed = 9.5MB/s
write speed = 8MB/s
this is a vast improvement on my previous legit sony 128mb
i would recommend the photofast to anyone

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
loony747 said:
What difference are the Class #? And how does it affect the PSP?

class is supposed to indicate an absolute minimum guaranteed speed for the memory cards

it's much more of an issue for stuff like cameras, than for PSP

the only time you'll notice a difference is when you're loading games/videos/music ONTO the memory card

the slow cards out there are still miles faster than UMD and probably twice as fast as the old original 32mb sony cards

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
This topic was never about UMD loading speed comparisons with Memory Stick speeds. The UMD talk only appeared after themuddaload brought it into the topic for no real reason. My intention was merely to raise the issue that data transfer across an adapter would likely be slightly less than a direct (non fake) Pro Duo access and that optimising the quality of the cards would be good if you wanted to preserve speed. Some plugins are temperamental about slower transfer rates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU