PS1/2 memor32 memorycard for ps2

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i delete the original iso after i burn to cd, never though of burning the iso as files to another disk. Yes i can just reburn the games i wish to play at any given time, but im not the only one that plays games in the house. For example i like RPGs, brothers likes sports, sister likes puzzle games...lol. but since my Swap Magic is slowly dying, ill prob buy this anyways or just go for the modchip. Funny thing is my other sister just said the same thing, just reburn the game you want to play at the time you want to play it.

Lanceterloo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I gather, with the new firmware it supports both PAL and NTSC.

Could someone explain to me whether that means both PAL and NTSC ISO's will work on all region Ps2's, or that it just means PAL consoles can only play PAL iso's, while NTSC console can only play NTSC ISO's?

D

Deleted User

Still waiting for the Australian firmware to be released, getting annoyed. I will tell you how it goes when it arrives though.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I gather, with the new firmware it supports both PAL and NTSC.

Could someone explain to me whether that means both PAL and NTSC ISO's will work on all region Ps2's, or that it just means PAL consoles can only play PAL iso's, while NTSC console can only play NTSC ISO's?

the ps2 can do both

D

Deleted User

O.k. The Memento team were nice enough to give us Aussies a working release of firmware 1.1 for Australian consoles. You can get it from the Memento website. (Use google as I'm not posting it here.) Testing has begun on my console. I am using a SCPH-30002 R console which is a version 5 or 6 console I believe.

** Please note this is an early release of the firmware designed for xx002 model PS2's **

Anyway here's the results from the games I tested. I picked three games that would not work on a harddrive without some sort of patch or trick to get them going. On purpose.

Valkyre Profile 2 (patched with Memento patcher.) - Would not boot at all. Message saying "this disc cannot be played due to regional issues"

Streetfighter Anthology (patched with Memento patcher.) - Boots fine but at game selection system stalls. Will not load past game selection menu.

COD 2 Big Red One (patched with Memento patcher.) - Boots fine and works but sound skips and sometime sounds like actor has a stutter. Weird.

Also Swap Magic 3.8 coder will boot but not play while Memer32 with Memento firmware on it.

I cannot get the BOOT.ELF to boot from Dev 1 at all.
I can get the BOOT.ELF to boot from Dev 3 easily though. Then it is just a matter of running HDLoader and you're straight into you harddrive. (which I got working fine.)

Anyway please remember this is an early release of old firmware just so Aussies can get a taste of what's on the horizon. Version 1.3 will be out soon

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So far, for me personally, the Memento f/w has been one huge waste of time, i've tried about 10 games so far (including ones confirmed working for other SlimPSTwo PAL users), none of which boot atall... Yes, i've tried all f/w versions, Yes i've patched all the isos, and Yes i'm using it with the memor32 as the only card plugged in... nothing but a black screen..

I sincerely hope they get their act together and release something more functional for ALL users of all regions... so far though i wont bitch, it's very early days and they have proven to be fast and freindly, so i wish them good luck for a better firmware next time, otherwise its useless to me, but glad it does work for some other users.

EDIT: Also i succesfully booted SwapMagic and Cogswap using the respective .ELF files from a USB stick, but again, unless you have the MagicKeys installed or a SwapCard ready made this wont help you, if you do, then great, but i dont want to have to use swap tricks, which was the whole reason i purchased this in the first place
smile.gif
Ofcourse i can boot USBAdvance aswell but that really sucks as you all know, other than installing a modchip or buying a pstwoslim hdd, i think i'll wait a bit and see what the memento team come up with, hopefully something stable and that works.

D

Deleted User

It is a little disappointing i agree given the price of the card but like you said it's early days yet. Just out of interest what games did u try?
I'm wanting them to release V1.3 before christmas.

Edit: Try booting the games from the browser instead of rebooting the system to load. Please let me know how you go.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PSTwo Slim (PAL)
SCPH-77003

Tested:
(not working)
Phantasy Star Universe - Ambition of the Illuminus
Final Fantasy x International
Final Fantasy XII
Persona 3 (undub)
Odins Sphere
Tales of Legendia (undub)
Digital Devil Saga 2
Shining Force EXA - Goes ingame but hangs right at the start
Star Ocean 3 (undub) - Boots to Menu but will not start a game.

Success Rate = Zero.
Will update here if/when i test any more.

EDIT: i have tried booting from cold boots, and in the browser already, it didnt help for any of the already non working games.

EDIT: for anyone of you wondering, i am using Taiyo Yuden -R's, so the media is very good.

D

Deleted User

I have not got any of those games but at least you know now it does work with the success of Shining Force.
I think it might be a better idea to think of this card and firmware as a sort of flashcart instead of a mod chip myself. Once they get the firmware sorted I think this will be a popular choice.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, if they get the firmware sorted it will definately be a popular choice i agree, and i'm also hoping they manage to get a v1.3 out before they go boozing for xmas
smile.gif

What will really suck, is if they update the disk patcher exe so that you have to re-patch once again all your games, hopefully they can increase compatability by updating the firmware only, i would assume this to be the case as the disc patcher probably only writes a check routine to see if the memor32 is plugged in and then passes patching/booting routines over to that using whichever memnto firmware is currently on it.

ToDieFor

Trophies
XP
Country
Eh?
frown.gif

I was about to getting a PS2 Slim because off Memor32 & Momento. It is really that crappy? :/ I heard that it supported a lot games. :|

(I'm in a PAL country btw)

D

Deleted User

I wouldn't say it's bad it just needs tuning. You've got to remember it's still in its infancy.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The success rate right now is so hit and miss i couldnt recommend buying one personally, especially not if you're buying a whole new ps2 slim for it.

I do hope, and expect that the firmware will reach a much higher level of compatability though, so depending on weather you're optimistic or pesimistic you might want to just go ahead and buy one anyway
smile.gif

It does seem however that the memnto firmware is getting much higher levels of compatability when running on the old 'chubby' PS2's.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha, after actually deciding to treat myself to a game of the only thing i got working (shining force exa) it hangs right at the start, but does go ingame, still pointless, so thats zero success rate.

I might just aswell buy a modchip aswell, i have no problem with soldering and have installed modchips before, and have collected too many good ps2 games to have no backup ability atall.

EDIT: HD Connect unfortunately only works for v12 - v14 consoles, i have the very latest v16 pstwo, so thats not an option for me, otherwise i would have gone wit that, so a modchip it is for me i think
smile.gif

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so since i was considering purchasing a mod chip, i opened up the pstwo, taped down that bloody annoying sensor once and for all, filled the other 2 required points to allow the swap trick and reassembled, took all of about 10 minutes, screw magic keys this is much more permanant...

so i can now boot both swap magic, cog swap, and whatever other elfs u can get your hands on from startup using mementos nifty dev modes and all my backups are booting now, so that will tide me over until memento fix up their firmware
smile.gif

ToDieFor

Trophies
XP
Country
Well...If I was going to get Memor32&Momento, it was because of I can get a new PS2 with a warranty, use pirated content and still keep it. But now, eh
frown.gif

Ah well..

distorted

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so since i was considering purchasing a mod chip, i opened up the pstwo, taped down that bloody annoying sensor once and for all, filled the other 2 required points to allow the swap trick and reassembled, took all of about 10 minutes, screw magic keys this is much more permanant...

so i can now boot both swap magic, cog swap, and whatever other elfs u can get your hands on from startup using mementos nifty dev modes and all my backups are booting now, so that will tide me over until memento fix up their firmware
smile.gif

forgive my ignorance, do i need the swap magic disks if i have memor32? i have a pstwo and am new to the scene. you said you can boot 'swapmagic and cogswap and other elfs'. are you using swapmagic elfs? cogswap elfs?
im assuming you mean off the memor32. i wouldnt mind being able to do this while the momento people work on the firmware a bit more

D

Deleted User

forgive my ignorance, do i need the swap magic disks if i have memor32?

No but at the moment the firmware isn't working with all games. So swapmagic would be a bonus.
im assuming you mean off the memor32.  i wouldnt mind being able to do this while the momento people work on the firmware a bit more
You press L1+L2+R1+R2 + the down arrow to boot the boot.elf from a usb stick put into the playstations usb port.
If you have a phat PS2 and the network adapter you can boot HDLoader from there too to use a harddrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?