Gaming since 4
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I want to play with a person who doesn't exactly live in the same house as me. So I setup melonDS on both our PCs. I first installed Winpcap 4.1.3 & Radmin VPN on both the PCs. I created a network in Radmin VPN and let him connect to it so that we appear as though we are in the same LAN. Next I go to the Wi-Fi settings in melonDS for both PCs and make sure that "Bind socket to any address" and "Direct mode" are enabled. Also selected Radmin VPN as the network adapter. What's next is that I open Mario Party DS and go the the Local Multiplayer menu while I instruct him to launch Download Play. Now what I had expected is that the emulators should be detected as if they're on the same LAN and Mario Party DS should pop up in his DS Download Play menu but it never does happen that way. What exactly am I missing here? Or is it that currently this sort of a VLAN setup isn't supported?

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
first of all you're mixing up local wireless and online multiplayer emulation. Direct mode and pcap are all only related to online multiplayer (as in when the servers were up you used the Nintendo Wifi Connection) and pretty much obsolete with the improved indirect mode in melonDS 0.9.

Though the game you're trying to play only supports local wireless multiplayer, which unfortunately has super strict latency requirements which just can't be fulfilled if you route the traffic over the internet.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok long story short, not supported right? Will it ever be?
unfortunately yes, unless sub 8ms ping becomes common place (which might be hard because of the laws physics…). There are some crazy ideas to come around this limitation, but local wireless isn't even that stable if both instances run on the same computer, so that's far in the future.

Reactions: Coto and Gaming796

UnholyVivid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I want to play with a person who doesn't exactly live in the same house as me. So I setup melonDS on both our PCs. I first installed Winpcap 4.1.3 & Radmin VPN on both the PCs. I created a network in Radmin VPN and let him connect to it so that we appear as though we are in the same LAN. Next I go to the Wi-Fi settings in melonDS for both PCs and make sure that "Bind socket to any address" and "Direct mode" are enabled. Also selected Radmin VPN as the network adapter. What's next is that I open Mario Party DS and go the the Local Multiplayer menu while I instruct him to launch Download Play. Now what I had expected is that the emulators should be detected as if they're on the same LAN and Mario Party DS should pop up in his DS Download Play menu but it never does happen that way. What exactly am I missing here? Or is it that currently this sort of a VLAN setup isn't supported?

Try this:
Launch locally (2) melons.
Get mario DS running.
Launch steam. Launch remote play. Exit big screen mode.
Config controls from player 2
May work better if you launch melon via steam for linked player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    +1
    First off, it's recreationally legal here. Secondly, I have a prescription from my doctor and approved by the state. But still a fucking criminal.
    +1
    Like at bars. Cant sit outside even in the smoking section and take a few puffs. Yet I have to breath the cig smoke from 20 people chain smoking all night in every direction around me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I feel like Trump is going to crush Biden just because of the trial
    They cite
    public health and safety concerns" LMAO!!! Yet they do nothing about the poison drinking water quality.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters
    A Trump win is certainly a possibility. If he's reelected, 4 more years then no one has to worry about him being president ever again. I survived last time, I'll survive it if there's a next time. Don't know how anyone could vote for the guy, but I'm also not anyone else but me.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly things were cheaper with Trump but that's tounge and cheek could be exactly the same outcome if he won reelection
    All of the fake "Christians" vote for him even though he's broken like 8 of the 10 commandments... that we know of. Maybe all 10. LOL
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A president is just a public figure within America
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    South park put it will there's always a bite between a turd sandwhich or a giant douce
    +1
    I like when he says stuff like "They are preventing me from talking!!!" Wait. What? You mean the person that is literally talking right now.. is being prevented from talking? LOL! Gag order also does not apply to taking the stand. He's free to say whatever he'd like. lolol
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    holy fuck this discsussion sucks, where are my sisters
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well if it sucks stop blowing turd sandwhich
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, convince your parents to make a sister for you
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    parents? what parents?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People who screwed each other to make you