Homebrew WIP melonDS for Switch

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool! Let me know if you run into any issues. I implemented the frameskip pretty quickly, and there might be some synchronization issues with the render thread. There also might be some issues with the threads in general; the latest libnx update was giving my threads some trouble, hopefully all the issues have been sorted out now but I can't be sure.

I can't get any games to load. By that I mean they load but once I hit a button they restart all over. So I can't get into the games to play.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
I can't get any games to load. By that I mean they load but once I hit a button they restart all over. So I can't get into the games to play.
Oh crap I totally forgot!! Because of the changes to how input mapping works, previous settings are gonna get all messed up. I recommend everyone just delete your melonDS.ini files and then set all your settings again to avoid any conflicts. Not sure what would cause games to restart, but try this first and let me know if you're still having issues.

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh crap I totally forgot!! Because of the changes to how input mapping works, previous settings are gonna get all messed up. I recommend everyone just delete your melonDS.ini files and then set all your settings again to avoid any conflicts. Not sure what would cause games to restart, but try this first and let me know if you're still having issues.

Yep deleting that worked! Thanks a ton! Time to redo the settings. I have it portrait mode cause I have the flip grip. Frameskipping 1 frame had pokemon soul silver running pretty darn smooth. (Except audio) Can't wait for 0.8.0!

Reactions: Hydr8gon

MyconMama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cool! Let me know if you run into any issues. I implemented the frameskip pretty quickly, and there might be some synchronization issues with the render thread. There also might be some issues with the threads in general; the latest libnx update was giving my threads some trouble, hopefully all the issues have been sorted out now but I can't be sure.

Frameskip appears stable for me so far. Not +quite+ full speed yet for most games, but I'm so excited for the potential! Thanks for your hard work, as you have time.

Monti64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
I'm new in here but I watch this emulator for over 4 months now (also i'm german, sorry for mistakes in the text)
Now to the reason I made an account, this MelonDS Version always breaks something so my cf always has to restart. As far as I understand it frameskipping is the problem, first I started with Mario Kart DS which had problems at a frameskip of 2 but at 1 it doesn't (except I change from 2 to 1 after a console crash then it sometimes crashes the console by starting a game or I have to restart MelonDS, because the game couldn't start). Sometimes the switch randomly crashes when I'm in a game. When I was trying a japanese rythm shoot game, the console crashed at the name entry when I entered every letter except the last.
So I get crashes very often by changing frame skip when and when i'm not in the game and it crashes sometimes randomly ingame (I never had that on any other MelonDS version). I am playing on switch firmware 7.0.1 and Atmosphere 0.8.4

I would be very thankful for a reply and a solution to this problem (I erased the .ini before i started btw.) would be very nice, because games like Mario Kart work really good with a 1 frameskip. But besides those crashes MelonDS is great and already works really well, can't wait for the renderer :D

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I'm new in here but I watch this emulator for over 4 months now (also i'm german, sorry for mistakes in the text)
Now to the reason I made an account, this MelonDS Version always breaks something so my cf always has to restart. As far as I understand it frameskipping is the problem, first I started with Mario Kart DS which had problems at a frameskip of 2 but at 1 it doesn't (except I change from 2 to 1 after a console crash then it sometimes crashes the console by starting a game or I have to restart MelonDS, because the game couldn't start). Sometimes the switch randomly crashes when I'm in a game. When I was trying a japanese rythm shoot game, the console crashed at the name entry when I entered every letter except the last.
So I get crashes very often by changing frame skip when and when i'm not in the game and it crashes sometimes randomly ingame (I never had that on any other MelonDS version). I am playing on switch firmware 7.0.1 and Atmosphere 0.8.4

I would be very thankful for a reply and a solution to this problem (I erased the .ini before i started btw.) would be very nice, because games like Mario Kart work really good with a 1 frameskip. But besides those crashes MelonDS is great and already works really well, can't wait for the renderer :D
That's really strange. I don't think the frameskip would be causing crashes, so I want to test a few other things. Try updating to the latest Atmosphere first (0.8.8), and if it's still crashing try running the attached build and see if it's any better. I took the threads out so there's no audio and it might run slower, but if it doesn't crash then it will confirm that the threads are the issue.

Your english is great, by the way :)

Attachments

• melonds.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
Reactions: Monti64

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Atmosphere had a bug in it that, when overclocking, could cause crashes. That's been fixed, but I don't remember what version they implemented the fix (it's fixed in 0.8.8). However, if you're not overclocking, then it's unlikely that's the problem. Mostly I'm pointing out that you should update Atmosphere, as it's possible it's a bug that's already been fixed in newer versions.

Monti64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's really strange. I don't think the frameskip would be causing crashes, so I want to test a few other things. Try updating to the latest Atmosphere first (0.8.8), and if it's still crashing try running the attached build and see if it's any better. I took the threads out so there's no audio and it might run slower, but if it doesn't crash then it will confirm that the threads are the issue.

Your english is great, by the way :)

The threads are the problem but I also went to Atmosphere 0.8.8 but man it took a while and I reversed my steps because my nsp files won't boot anymore with that atmosphere version. I used the nonthread MelonDS version on both atmospheres and I always overclock MelonDS and had 2 crashes after like 20 times of changing the game and playing a few minutes (in a normal case I wouldn't restart and change settings that often but I don't know if it's crashing because of that). Thoose random crashes and the crashes from (I think) going into the menu and then resume are gone now :D (but sound's missing of course)

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
The threads are the problem but I also went to Atmosphere 0.8.8 but man it took a while and I reversed my steps because my nsp files won't boot anymore with that atmosphere version. I used the nonthread MelonDS version on both atmospheres and I always overclock MelonDS and had 2 crashes after like 20 times of changing the game and playing a few minutes (in a normal case I wouldn't restart and change settings that often but I don't know if it's crashing because of that). Thoose random crashes and the crashes from (I think) going into the menu and then resume are gone now :D (but sound's missing of course)
Okay, good to know what the problem is then. I think it has something to do with the threads stopping when opening the menu and starting again when going back to the emulator. I have a couple of ideas for different ways to do it, I'll look into it more when I have time. Thanks for testing!

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like a 3DS emulator, but from what I've come to understand, that's pretty unlikely. That aside, I'm looking forward to this getting a speed boost with hardware acceleration. Easily one of my favorite games on the DS is Solatorobo. I've played it 5 times all the way through (Yay for New Game+! It even adds new content for your 1st 3 play-throughs), and I'm looking forward to playing it again. I even keep the cart in my Switch case (though, obviously that does me no good. At least I haven't lost it), as a reminder. So, thanks for your work on the port, and even bigger thanks for Staplebutter (I got that name right, didn't I?)! Definitely cool stuff going on here. :D

Cencil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking forward to this! With the latest update my switch crashes when trying to play vertically, otherwise it's fine!

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Why don't you test it ? It is fun to test to see how it is going. Can you test it too ? Cheers! :D

the answer is , if it dont work properly , i have not enough time to try it...

So i will wait a compatibility list before try it , i hav 2 DS and 2 3DS , so i havent problem to play this game, i can wait if you dont want to answern me :D

Greetings

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
But we all have time to test for you? How does this work?

Also which part of no game does run full speed, even without overclocking currently didn't you understand, and wanted personal support for?

Even in Phoenix Wright (low complexity text adventure), with 1,7GHz OC there are slight sound stutters once in a while.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the answer is , if it dont work properly , i have not enough time to try it...

So i will wait a compatibility list before try it , i hav 2 DS and 2 3DS , so i havent problem to play this game, i can wait if you dont want to answern me :D

Greetings

Hey, I would be happy to test it for you for your sake however I am not fan of Final Fantasy games. So, I cannot test them. I hope someone else who are fan like you will be happy to test it for you. Cheers. ;)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Now do that for the 1800 games released on the platform.

For every person that asks.

At any time possible (nothing special happening currently like a compatibility release).

After every major release of the software.

And you start to realize, that people on reddit, might try to do stuff, just because they can pull it off - once in a while. (Thats the human condition.. ;) ).

Because people aren't reading.

Same reason by the way, why the last 3 compatibility lists for emulation related platforms I saw, were full of factual errors. Or contradicting statements.

Because otherwise they would have noticed the line, that currently no game runs full speed, even at max overclock (which I'm not sure you'd want to use all the time), not even the one which is least resource heavy.

All of which has been posted in this thread already.

(Phoenix Wright is almost there at full OC.)

Also - why would people volunteer free time, to test stuff for strangers, that doesnt benefit themselves. This isnt even altruisic (its not like that you could resonably expect 5 or 10 people to benefit from it), thats outright subservient.

Also - and this is the most important part. STOP helping people, because you are a fan of a brand. Thats the notion that product support forums are build upon, which make no sense whatsoever. Out of Apple support groups, people at least got real life contacts out of - but online brand support forums are only and exclusively there to exploit people out of their free time and willingness to enact a specific social code, that has developed over ages - because people expected others to do as they did. That only worked when people where not anonymous.

That guy above - has no time to test. Thats all you need to know.

If you are a Final Fantasy fan think about if you should ignore him. Logically.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And before anyone is tempted to do it in spite - note that I will know - that you've probably done that in spite, and still think, that what people ask of others here doesnt scale, and is an outright insult. ;)

If you want a service, buy it.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a