1. dusk1911818

dusk1911818 Newbie
    Newcomer

Ireland
    Hi! I've been using this for months now and I love it so much! I only have one real problem - the time can't be changed? eg: when I open up pokemon platinum it's permanently stuck in winter? Changing the ds clock (by not booting directly and going into settings) or the switch clock doesn't seem to work but time passes as I'm playing the game. There are time-sensitive events that I can't access right now, is there a way to change the time that I'm missing? If not, are you planning on making it a feature eventually?

2. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    that's due to the MAC address being randomised every time melonDS is opened. This was done for local wireless (because each instances needs it's own MAC address), but it has the problem that games think you're switching the DS all the time so they disable timed events as an anti cheat measure. In the latest version (not yet for Switch) we added a switch to disable MAC randomisation.

3. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    Ooh I didn't even realize this was still being worked on. What other features can we look forward to?

4. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    at the moment I'm working on a new GUI. Also a lot has happened upstream, like the merge of DSi support and the improved direct mode (which makes online multiplayer possible on Switch as well). Also GBA games as a slot-2 peripheral already existed during the last release but this wasn't exposed via the GUI. So my current aim is to get up to date with upstream with the next release (including exposing all features in the GUI) with maybe some more optimisations to GPU2D I've come up with. For the following release I want to finally tackle optimising the rasteriser and geometry submission to get fullspeed in 3d games as well.

sorabora, ploggy, SpaceJump and 6 others like this.
  5. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Mexico
    Awesome. Can't wait for that great update. Thank you man.

6. TheXpertXD

TheXpertXD Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Anyone know if the retroarch melonds core is up to date with this yet? Would be sweet to have some nice thumbnails

Last edited by TheXpertXD, Oct 22, 2020
  7. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    the Switch libretro core is still lagging one version behind. Icons (as they are stored in the ROMs and are displayed in the DS boot menu) will be shown in the new GUI as well ;)

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  8. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

United Kingdom
    Awesome, love this Emulator. Having a blast chipping away at the Castlevania games :)
    I may have already asked this but did he Deko3d thing work out? I think I remember seeing you say something about adding Deko3d?

9. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    the GUI in the last version was already rendered with deko3d instead of OpenGL/mesa. deko3d has less cpu overhead (though that's pretty minor if you're only rendering two single quad), but it also takes away far less space in the binary (mesa is huge, notice how melonDS binaries shrunk by quite a few megabytes).

I talked a little bit about a potential port of the GL renderer to deko3d, though as I said before at this stage I rather focus on optimising things so as many games as possible run at fullspeed, than focusing on enhancements.

ploggy likes this.
  10. Ace88

Ace88 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    @catlover007

i fixed my issue. I put the bios into the wrong folder. I'm using the retroarch version with OC max.

First of all I'd like to thank you for your effort and the great work you've done!

I'd like to ask you some questions and share my experiences on some games I've tried :)

1) Could someone elaborate what the JIT block size / JIT Branch Optimisation / JIT Literal Optimisation does and when does it makes sense, to enable these settings?

2) Is there any general setting recomendation in terms of performance/fps ?

3) Is there an option to play 60fps games in 30 fps, to avoid slow downs?

Here my experiences regarding the performance so far:

• New Super Mario Bros:
      • Overworld/Cutszenes: 40fps
      • Ingame/lvl: constant 60fps (i hade one issue where i had 72fps and the game was speed up lol)
    • Mario Kart:
      • Menu: constant 60fps
      • Ingame/race: 38-40 fps (not playable)
    • Zelda Phantom hourglasses:
      • Menu/Start Screen/Cutscenes: 38- 60fps
      • gameplay: 45fps
    • Zelda Spirit tracks:
      • Menu/Start Screen/Cutscenes: 38-40 fps
      • gameplay: 30- 40fps
    by the way, I will never understand why Nintendo implemented such shity controlls into the zelda games. It's almost impossible to play these games with a controller does anybody know if there's some controlls patch for both Zelda games?

Last edited by Ace88, Oct 23, 2020
  11. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

United Kingdom
    No probs, looking forward to the new ui, The Castlevania games so far play almost perfect, just some very minor speed dips every now and then.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There are indeed Patches for both Zelda games to use the dpad instead of touch controls ;)
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/legend-of-zelda-spirit-track-d-pad-patch.374773/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-d-pad-patch.375388/

12. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    the libretro core is currently one version behind and not maintained by me

no

standalone has the option to use a joycon as a pointer for the touchscreen

Ace88 likes this.
  13. shouldiluvu

shouldiluvu Member
    Newcomer

Singapore
    I can’t seem to start any game Roms. Either it crashes, freezes or give me an error code: 2168-0002 Help please anyone.

Last edited by shouldiluvu, Oct 23, 2020
  14. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    Do you use Atmosphere and use title injection to start hbmenu? Also check all of the required files twice (bios9.bin, bios7.bin, firmware.bin).

15. shouldiluvu

shouldiluvu Member
    Newcomer

Singapore
    I use SX OS and yes I did.(Hold R and start the melonDS from hbmenu) I have all the required files.

16. catlover007

OP catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    SX OS is not supported

17. Nerdtendo

United States
    Sxos works. Do you have fast memory disabled?

18. shouldiluvu

shouldiluvu Member
    Newcomer

Singapore
    After I tried to disable fast memory, the game finally loaded, but now it’s just a white screen

It’s progress from not loading and freezing. But yeah, still can’t play. :(

Last edited by shouldiluvu, Oct 24, 2020
  19. Nerdtendo

United States
    What game are you trying?

20. shouldiluvu

shouldiluvu Member
    Newcomer

Singapore
    Apollo Justice: Ace attorney
    And
    Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - continuation, melonDS, Switch