Meet The Xbox Adaptive Controller, Microsoft's Controller For Gamers With Limited Mobility

xbox adaptive controller.JPG

When we think of controllers, we usually think of the standard handheld one with front-facing buttons complete with analogue sticks and some trigger buttons on top (unless if you are Nintendo). While the ergonomic aspect is still debated, with some preferring the Playstation layout over the Xbox one and vice versa, these controllers are not adapted for every gamer. In paticular gamers with medical conditions like cerebral palsy or with amputated fingers/hands have limited mobility or cannot use both of their hands, and as such traditional controllers are not ideal for them to enjoy their games. Microsoft aims to address those concerns with the newly announced Xbox Adaptive Controller.

So how does it work? The main unit is the white slab you see in the first picture above looking kind of like an arcade stick. Its full potential is packed at its rear with a plethora of inputs for enhanced customization:

back side.JPG

One can connect assistive switches (sold separately) for buttons, thumbstick and trigger inputs via the 3.5 jacks, USB joysticks to the USB port and the whole controller can be attached to different mounts from the back to adjust for height and accessibility. Additionally, with the Xbox Accessories App, the buttons can be configured to one's liking.

Microsoft says that the Xbox Adaptive Controller will cost $100 and will be out sometime later this year.

It's great to see a company at the forefront of gaming invest in such a device to help make gaming more accessible. If you want to read more about the designing process behind the Xbox Adaptive Controller, you can do so via the Microsoft Story Lab blog post.

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitly a step in the right directions. I know some people that would probably faint at the fact that they were actually able to control mario at some point. I also like the security in thinking if I ever have to sacrifice my hands (God forbid) I could still game:toot:

Reactions: x65943

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks great. since my right hands usefulness has slowly been deteriorating from psoriatic arthritis, I can see this becoming a useful tool in the future(well, that's if I can use it on a pc like a notmal xbox controller someday).

Last edited by samcambolt270,

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm 95% sure I'm going to hell for saying this, but it looks like a digital drums kit.

But seriously kudos. Everyone should be able to play games.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will be compatible with the switch through the Mayflash adapter since regular xbox1 controllers work with it. It would open up a lot of doors for people to play games like zelda

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's so cool! Somebody needs to make a regular controller but it has all those plugs for the back, so then you can plug buttons into sockets for different buttons and one button triggers another, it can be a challenge or allow vastly more customization.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will be compatible with the switch through the Mayflash adapter since regular xbox1 controllers work with it. It would open up a lot of doors for people to play games like zelda
Doubt it. It even says that you need an xbox app to configure the buttons layout.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Compared to currently existing alternatives it's really not that bad.
Never said uncompetitive or anything like that. It just bugs me a little because it feels almost like they are taking advantage of a demographic you know? I'm sure they could drop the price some if they really wanted, then you also need to get the buttons and stuff. Just bugs me some.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said uncompetitive or anything like that. It just bugs me a little because it feels almost like they are taking advantage of a demographic you know? I'm sure they could drop the price some if they really wanted, then you also need to get the buttons and stuff. Just bugs me some.

They probably couldn't drop the price too much, it isn't just generic parts like an iPhone has

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft may really have dropped the ball when it comes to system selling exclusive titles, but I do really have to give them credit on all the functions, features, and accessibility they've poured into the Xbox One since its release. This adaptive controller news definitely stands as a part of all of that.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nice. If only Xbox had any games to make it worth it.

To be honest, I would like to see a tablet device for folks since youtube lets plays effectively allow people to play games vicariously via watching (besides games in which the experience can be different each play, such as open sandbox, competitive games,etc).

There was a recent Wired article which spoke of nursing homes using the Wii with residents (i've seen it at my last internship; they play Wii Bowling via Wii Sports). There was also a side page describing a tablet that allows for communication (basically calls and texting), large colored buttons, physical attachments (digital interactions don't make sense to residents), and a note pad. Possibly more.

I like the idea of gaming being open to more people. There are a lot of people in nursing homes who do absolutely nothing in their rooms besides stare out the window or watch TV. Some cannot take part in activities due to their disabilities. This is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is nice. If only Xbox had any games to make it worth it.

Right now this seems the only way for handicapped people to play AC Origins, Shadow of War, Monster Hunter World, Wolfenstein 2 and almost every relevant triple A release in the last 12 months, and the only way they can hope to play Kingdom Hearts 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Divinity 2 later in this year, but I guess none of these are games when you hate on a console?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now this seems the only way for handicapped people to play AC Origins, Shadow of War, Monster Hunter World, Wolfenstein 2 and almost every relevant triple A release in the last 12 months, and the only way they can hope to play Kingdom Hearts 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Divinity 2 later in this year, but I guess none of these are games when you hate on a console?
I'd have to assume that since this is an XBox peripheral it would work on a Windows PC as well, but I understand what you're saying

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0