Homebrew Maybe not a hack or an exploit but something interesting.

bluestreak711

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have much but I would like to share the little that I have found.

They say once you change the file structure of the your photos on your SD card that they will no longer show up in your DSi camera album.

I accidently changed the file structure of some of pictures on my SD card and they didn't show up in my album anymore.
According to Nintendo you are no longer able to get them to appear in your album anymore but here's what I did.

1. I took extra (scrap) photos and saved them to my SD card.
2. I inserted the SD card in my PC.
3. I copied the exact file name of one of my scrap photos.
4. I deleted the scrap photo.
5. I renamed the name of one of my photos (which I am to reinsert) the exact name as the scrap photo I deleted.
6. I moved the photo (which I wanted to reinsert) to the exact folder as the scrap photo.

The reinserted photo will show up under the date you took your scrap photo.
If you want your photo to show up under a different date, date your DSi back in system settings before you take the scrap photo.

To work successfully I believe the dimensions ought to be 640 X 480 and the camera model has to say "NintendoDS"
Those are the defaults when you take a pic with your DSi camera.

I tried it with other photos and it showed up under the albums but it was not able to display the image.
Perhaps if you were able to alter the photos to show up with the specs as I specified maybe you could insert other photos.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, this has been known for a while.

I think why this works is, the DS 'filters' images based on the specs you mentioned (size and camera), so that only things taken by the DSi Camera shows up -- this is more or less a 'quick an dirty' way of doing it since as you've seen you can just edit the info in and it will detect it.
But beyond that, I believe that the DSi camera uses a special version of the image type. There are all sorts of revisions of each image format, and sometimes proprietary information is added which can be ignored by other viewers, but can be set to 'must have' for a particular viewer.

I honestly have NO clue on this, it's just a 'best guess' based on available information.

bluestreak711

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to be able to insert photos in the DSi that weren't taken with the DSi.
I do have a small theory. If somebody could encode a converter that would convert photos
to the 640 X 480 dimensions and to show the camera model as "NintendoDS" ; we could
then insert our own photos in the DSi.

I would like to see that happen.

Somebody could also encode a hack and insert it the same way as my original post states to run homebrew.
Which I know the experts already know this.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Bluestreak, what you are looking for could be accomplished with two programs, MS Paint and a Hex Editor.

If you know the strings where the metadata is stored, you could manipulate that metadata and copy the DSi Picture file's metadata to the picture that you wish to view on the DSi. This could also be a way to exploit the DSi and insert CFW, but I think I'll leave the CFW and exploits to Teem Twiizers.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Images are signed with an HMAC key, which is specific to your DSi. However, any DSi can decrypt the images, using a common key or something along those lines (not THE common key, a different one, which is AFAIK stored within the image, so other DSis can decrypt the image). If you can find the HMAC key for any one specific DSi, you can create an encoder to convert images which will work with ANY DSi, because any DSi will accept a valid image, provided it has a valid HMAC signature. (I don't know much about cryptography and encryption, so some of the terms I used are probably wrong).

bluestreak711

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluestreak711 said:
I would like to be able to insert photos in the DSi that weren't taken with the DSi.
I do have a small theory. If somebody could encode a converter that would convert photos
to the 640 X 480 dimensions and to show the camera model as "NintendoDS" ; we could
then insert our own photos in the DSi.

I would like to see that happen.

Somebody could also encode a hack and insert it the same way as my original post states to run homebrew.
Which I know the experts already know this.

Who can tell me where to find the metadata. I successfully made a picture 640 X 480 using Pixresizer
I used Hex Editor and found where it said NintendoDS in two spots but I could not successfully get it copied to the new photo to where it says that the camera model was NintendoDS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny