Won't fix Maybe a downvote feature would be nice

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I know that sounds super negative but I think it could be a useful addition to let people tell others that their words aren't appreciated. Namely, I would use it for minor harassments that aren't worth a report but are still souring the site.

To keep people from going nuts, you can limit people to how many they can use a day, I'm thinking 1-3. And instead of a like/dislike system, you can pull a Reddit and let a downvote subtract a like. Maybe even let it go into negatives.

Maybe it's a stupid idea but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's an idea that's been mentioned several times, and it's still never gonna happen lol.

To quote myself from last time:
It just seems like a way to discourage active discussion. If you dislike what somebody's said, you should say you dislike it, and what it is you dislike. If people can be mature enough as to disagree in a meaningful way, you then have people considering the alternate point of view etc. And then if people agree with that person disagreeing, they like their post. I don't really see a problem with the system we already have.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an idea that's been mentioned several times, and it's still never gonna happen lol.

To quote myself from last time:
That all well and good but I'd have to respectfully disagree. It's often not worth getting in an argument over something and I personally dislike clogging a thread so it's harder to find meaningful content. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. That's fine with me.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The current climate of online interactions is already hostile enough without people pestering each other through dislikes. Reddit and its downvote system breed a mentality that makes people afraid to comment due to people downvoting unpopular opinions. We have threadmarks for useful information sorting, now, so you can sift through the discussions to find the most useful information. Not only that, but it'd likely increase the number of alt accounts, as once someone gets enough dislikes, they might just toss their account in the trash and begin anew.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Downvote features are some of the toxic and most ridiculous things to ever exist.

Suck it up princess, instead of hitting a stupid button, how about thoughtfully disputing something you disagree with? That tends to be how this little thing called "discussion" tends to happen.

One of reddits largest flaws is that the downvote feature makes it a circlejerking echochamber. No thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current climate of online interactions is already hostile enough without people pestering each other through dislikes. Reddit and its downvote system breed a mentality that makes people afraid to comment due to people downvoting unpopular opinions. We have threadmarks for useful information sorting, now, so you can sift through the discussions to find the most useful information. Not only that, but it'd likely increase the number of alt accounts, as once someone gets enough dislikes, they might just toss their account in the trash and begin anew.

exactly my thinking. :)

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a downvote button, I would have downvoted your suggestion. Just saying.
And I would be happy for the feedback.

My thinking is mostly one of decluttering threads that have devolved to straight arguing, and reduction of toxicity. It is clear however, that no one agrees with me.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Still kinda shocked people want a dislike button. Is more shocking super mario maker 2 has one. :blink:
Honestly, something like Mario Maker 2 is good, Because you have bad levels and good levels. You can like the good levels, and dislike the bad levels. With Forum posting it's different, because it's opinions, and majority will win, with minority being disliked to hell and back.

Geez y'all are harsh. A small suggestion, obviously doesn't need to be put into practice
They are just stating their take on the topic :P Only one was harsh.

Dislike buttons really are a bad Idea though. It gives people the option to pretty much say "I don't like your opinion." And no other reason. I run a writing club, and after a while it gets annoying(this is why we have it disabled.), and Useless in a debate section, Like everyone else is saying, turning it into an echo chamber. Being able to just dislike posts enables Echo-chambers, and really no spin on the subject at hand for fear of being disliked. Echo-chambers Suck ASS, you can't get a word in edge-wise, and if the argument isn't good, no one cares because it aligns with their opinions.

you might say the same for Like buttons, but I disagree, They can just like their opinion, and leave the thread. Instead of making a post going "I agree with X post!"(nothing else) and leaving the debate, silently watching for that person to post more posts that agree with your opinion, that you can like. (For some reason, Even though we have likes enabled, people still like doing this).

Edit; Forgive my weird pacing and capitalization, it's too early in the morning

S

Saiyan Lusitano

There's a forum on the internet which has "People who liked this post" and "People who want you to f#ck off'. I found that funny but excessive. Just say why you dislike/disagree because even the 'like' system isn't that useful.

Haven't visited that forum ever since and no plans to (Hint: It's about content that Rob Gavagan makes on YouTube, for example).

Fates-Blade-900

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downvote features are some of the toxic and most ridiculous things to ever exist.

Suck it up princess, instead of hitting a stupid button, how about thoughtfully disputing something you disagree with? That tends to be how this little thing called "discussion" tends to happen.

One of reddits largest flaws is that the downvote feature makes it a circlejerking echochamber. No thanks.
Except when moderators take down your comments, they've done this to me a lot of times, feels very unfair since I'm being very tolerant, letting people believe what they want, and only posting my thoughts/opinions on a matter, but IDC, I know why they do it, that's what's important, (I think what someone told me was right: this generation is too emotional), and the downvote idea is bad to me, as it doesn't fulfill it's purpose well, because even if someone dislikes a post, someone is most likely going to keep doing what they normally do.

Last edited by Fates-Blade-900,

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Except when moderators take down your comments, they've done this to me a lot of times, feels very unfair since I'm being very tolerant, letting people believe what they want, and only posting my thoughts/opinions on a matter, but IDC, I know why they do it, that's what's important, (I think what someone told me was right: this generation is too emotional), and the downvote idea is bad to me, as it doesn't fulfill it's purpose well, because even if someone dislikes a post, someone is most likely going to keep doing what they normally do.
so it sounds like you think that one or more of the mods have a personal bias against you and or your posts. If you do really think that, or something like it, I suggest you pm an Admin, or a different moderator/staff member

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like dislike buttons. It's a system that encourages abuse.
People will give out dislikes if they disagree with someone's opinion which discourages people from voicing their opinion in the first place.

Personally, if I dislike someone's post I either reply and point out what bothers me, or I'll just ignore it altogether.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I'm on Reddit pretty much every day, and I at least go below 0 points on one comment every day as well. Anything that's remotely the opposite of what is being said, an opinion, or something that could be kind of controversial would be downvoted into oblivion, at the bottom of all the comments where it's hidden unless you click on the thin area to expand the comment to read it. I've learned not to care much.

Reactions: Reynardine

FrankJovine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disagree with your opinion and add value in the discussion is a better idea instead of adding a downvote kind of a thing. At times we don't agree with someone suggestion due to misunderstanding of the situation. Downvote will only do one more negative instead of post your comment so that things will get clear if any confusion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one