Gaming Mario vs Rayman: which one to get?

Which of those titles will you get at launch?

• New Super Mario Bros U: it's a Mario!

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Rayman Legends: because Origins was awesome

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Both...because I CAN!

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Neither: I ain't buying a huge-ass console to play 2D games!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Undecided: depends on review and peer pressure when the time comes

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
NSMBU looks more of the same, I don't want to say the same things that I already said a thoushand times.
I think I just made my point pretty clear, you may not agree, but you already know my point of view.
*Clapclapclapclapclap*

To say the truth, my critics were for NSMB2.
NSMBU looks fun and entertaining.
This is one of the games that actually make me wanna buy WiiU.
NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed III and Bayonetta 2 are the games that most interest me now on WiiU.
But before buying WiiU, I'll wait a couple of months to avoid defective units.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other words, I think playing NSMB in one player is like playing Super Smash Bros. or Mario Party by yourself. Sure, it can be fun fighting CPUs and doing Subspace Emissary playing mini games against the CPUs, but it honestly gets stale and boring after a while. Like Smash Bros. and Mario Party, NSMB is truly meant to be a multiplayer experience.

I honestly hated playing co-op for NSMBW. It just felt very counterproductive. I'd go to jump on a platform and my friend would jump on me to send me to my death. Plus the game gets way too easy with two people. One person dies, the other just waits around and gets you back up. It also suffered from issues with distinguishing characters. Especially when it comes down to two Toads that are fucking identical outside of colors.

Rayman had much of the same issues too. In there though it became more broken since you could have one person stand off to the side while another person makes risky and tricky jumps without fear of dying and going to a checkpoint. You didn't have "power ups" so there was no incentive to not do it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In other words, I think playing NSMB in one player is like playing Super Smash Bros. or Mario Party by yourself. Sure, it can be fun fighting CPUs and doing Subspace Emissary playing mini games against the CPUs, but it honestly gets stale and boring after a while. Like Smash Bros. and Mario Party, NSMB is truly meant to be a multiplayer experience.

I honestly hated playing co-op for NSMBW. It just felt very counterproductive. I'd go to jump on a platform and my friend would jump on me to send me to my death. Plus the game gets way too easy with two people. One person dies, the other just waits around and gets you back up. It also suffered from issues with distinguishing characters. Especially when it comes down to two Toads that are fucking identical outside of colors.
When I played with my friends, we spent most of the game throwing each other around. This was pretty much to determine who would end up playing as the Toads.
There are a wide verity of Mario characters to choose from and they chose to use two Toads!

On topic, I say go with both. The more the merrier.

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you've played NSMB games before and haven't played Origins, get Rayman Legends,
If you've played Rayman Origins and haven't played NSMB games before get NSMBU.
If you've played Origins and NSMB games before get whichever you enjoyed more.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed III and Bayonetta 2 are the games that most interest me now on WiiU.
Unless something SERIOUSLY catches my attention, I'll probably wait at least until early next year to grab a Wii U. Mostly because I just got my Wii this April, so I have tons of Wii games I still want to play through (I'm juggling Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy, and Skyward Sword right now). My girlfriend and I just recently finished playing NSMBWii together, so I might grab Rayman first, just for a change of pace. But I'll definitely be getting both.

I felt that Co-op was much harder than single player, for the reasons you mention in your first 3 sentences. It was easier in a lot of ways, but those were offset by the new set of problems brought about by co-op. The one thing that truly bothered me about co-op was how the game would "freeze" whenever one of you got hit or died. So many times I would be timing a jump and hit the button RIGHT as the game froze, but the button press wouldn't "carry" after it froze, causing me to fall to my death. This pissed me off to no end, and I hope they got rid of it in NSMBU.

It was a love-hate relationship for me, honestly, but most of it I felt had to do with poor control. The wall jump was a near-useless move that shouldn't have been in the game, and caused so many deaths and mistakes (I'd try to jump up a high ledge, and Mario would grab it instead and my only option would be to leap off, often leading to my death). Also, the ground pound should've been relegated to the otherwise unused B button, or the minus button, as just pressing down in midair caused so many deaths (like trying to grab the fences in castles, and ground pounding into the lava instead).

I never played 4-player co-op (just 2 player), so I never had issues with distinguishing toads. But either way, since Mario and Luigi are just color swaps with different thickness and height, I can't imagine it being much more of a problem.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt that Co-op was much harder than single player, for the reasons you mention in your first 3 sentences. It was easier in a lot of ways, but those were offset by the new set of problems brought about by co-op. The one thing that truly bothered me about co-op was how the game would "freeze" whenever one of you got hit or died. So many times I would be timing a jump and hit the button RIGHT as the game froze, but the button press wouldn't "carry" after it froze, causing me to fall to my death. This pissed me off to no end, and I hope they got rid of it in NSMBU.

Difficulty really shouldn't be determined like that though. It just feels like a very bad and inflated difficulty.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Unless something SERIOUSLY catches my attention, I'll probably wait at least until early next year to grab a Wii U. Mostly because I just got my Wii this April, so I have tons of Wii games I still want to play through (I'm juggling Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy, and Skyward Sword right now). My girlfriend and I just recently finished playing NSMBWii together, so I might grab Rayman first, just for a change of pace. But I'll definitely be getting both.

I skipped Nintendo last two generations.
There are tons of Wii games I'm looking foward to play:
Mario Galaxy 2, NSMBW, Donkey Kong Returns,
Zelda Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy,
Kirby Return to Dream Land...

I hope there are some good GC games at VC.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Difficulty really shouldn't be determined like that though. It just feels like a very bad and inflated difficulty.
I think it's just more of a new set of challenges than anything else. After a world or so of co-op, my gf and I got really used to bumping into each other, etc and learned to keep our distance.
I hope there are some good GC games at VC.
If not, you could just grab an actual GameCube. They're only something like $30 or so.
Mario is winning?

The biased towards Nintendo on this forum sometimes makes me want to vomit.
Well, he's ONLY the biggest name in gaming. Nothing special. :P

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mario is winning?

Not in the last 15 years.

Recent public polls showed that Mario is more popular character than Mickey.
Based on this huge popularity, I say it's pretty normal that Mario is winning this poll.
I preffer Rayman Legends, but I already expected this from the most popular gaming character ever

Reactions: 2 people

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

By what criteria?

Mario Kart on Wii is the single highest selling game of the past decade at 32 million copies.

The NSMB games have moved well over 50 million units.

We could get into the 'lousy' sales of Mario Galaxy, which has managed to out-sell every first-party game on the PS3 with a 'paltry' 10 million.

And so on.

It's one thing to not like the games or be ambivalent about them, but Mario *is* the biggest name in gaming, period--the only franchise that comes close is Call of Duty and then, maybe, GTA.

Reactions: 6 people

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
My bro and I would play NSMBWii when he'd come over, and we'd have a blast because while our goal is to get to the end of levels, we also have fun messing with each other in the tighter situations. I tried to have him play Rayman Origins with me, and we did, but he got bored easily because there wasn't as much random goofiness that could occur.

From my perspective with multiplayer, NSMB wins.

D

Deleted_171835

Rayman had much of the same issues too. In there though it became more broken since you could have one person stand off to the side while another person makes risky and tricky jumps without fear of dying and going to a checkpoint. You didn't have "power ups" so there was no incentive to not do it.
You're playing it wrong. In NSMBW multiplayer, it's much more fun to dick around (with 4 players especially) than to try and seriously finish a course.

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario is winning?

People not liking what I like?

The f*** is this s***? They should only love Rayman, because I do!

I can't believe there are actually people here who don't think Mario's THE biggest name in gaming. Do you live in a CAVE or something?

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted_171835

Mario is winning?

How the fuck does that mean the forum is Nintendo-biased. You haven't considered that some people, I don't know, just prefer Mario games to the Rayman ones? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I'm sorry. I just had to laugh at your comment.
Ask anyone what they think of the name Mario, and 99% of them will think of the iconic plumber. The 1% are those living under a rock.

Seriously sometimes, it feels that people won't even think on what they're commenting just because they need to hate on something everybody loves. It's hilarious really and stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.