Gaming Mario vs Rayman: which one to get?

Which of those titles will you get at launch?

• New Super Mario Bros U: it's a Mario!

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Rayman Legends: because Origins was awesome

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Both...because I CAN!

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Neither: I ain't buying a huge-ass console to play 2D games!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Undecided: depends on review and peer pressure when the time comes

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, the SNES SPC700 was a co-processor with it's own CPU, RAM, and instruction set. Programmers simply sent data to it, and it played on its own. With the DS, there is no such hardware. Developers had to program their own audio system via software solution.

Well, that's enough of a detour. Let's get back on topic.

Reactions: 1 person

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
I had frantic fun with both NSMB.Wii and Origins, the more complete one being NSMB, but the more Hilarious one being Rayman.

i really can't decide tbh, never expected i'd be confused about picking Mario or Rayman

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the debate is a moot point now, at least as far as which to get at launch. Rayman was delayed till 2013.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/rayman-legends-delayed-to-q1-2013

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch. This game was one of the stronger draws of the launch list (for me, anyway), so losing it it something of a setback. Then again, a delayed game is always preferable to a bad one.

Let's just hope the delays don't pile up; I wouldn't want to see Legends become the stuff of myth.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ouch. This game was one of the stronger draws of the launch list (for me, anyway), so losing it it something of a setback. Then again, a delayed game is always preferable to a bad one.

Let's just hope the delays don't pile up; I wouldn't want to see Legends become the stuff of myth.
Ouch is right. that said, i doubt it'll just disappear, at least not for long. isn't development practically done?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really liked the DS version of Super Star Deluxe, however it was sort of a disappointment when it came to the audio department. Sounds that used to be clear in the SNES version all of a sudden sounded warped and like they had been downsampled to a lower audio quality. So while I like the DS version I'd still be prone to say that the original is better.
That's something I noticed with more than one SNES port/remake on the DS. Chrono Trigger DS sounded inferior to the SNES version, too.

Are you two playing with headphones?
The DS speakers aren't good,
but with headphones every sound becomes crystal clear

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really liked the DS version of Super Star Deluxe, however it was sort of a disappointment when it came to the audio department. Sounds that used to be clear in the SNES version all of a sudden sounded warped and like they had been downsampled to a lower audio quality. So while I like the DS version I'd still be prone to say that the original is better.
That's something I noticed with more than one SNES port/remake on the DS. Chrono Trigger DS sounded inferior to the SNES version, too.

Are you two playing with headphones?
The DS speakers aren't good,
but with headphones every sound becomes crystal clear
It's not the DS itself. It's the audio music in the game. It's quality becase worse while transferring the SNES sounds to the DS remake.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@VMM i really don't remember because i haven't touched either game in a long while. And it's not that the sound doesn't sound clear, it just sounds lower quality (a particularly noticeable example is the "enemy death" sound during battles in Chrono Trigger. it sounds distorted and barely recognizable in the DS version)

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@VMM i really don't remember because i haven't touched either game in a long while. And it's not that the sound doesn't sound clear, it just sounds lower quality (a particularly noticeable example is the "enemy death" sound during battles in Chrono Trigger. it sounds distorted and barely recognizable in the DS version)

That probably is a loss quality between the conversion from Midi to PSF.
I tried converting top gear main theme from midi to mp3 and AAC and realized a huge loss quality.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Looks like the debate is a moot point now, at least as far as which to get at launch. Rayman was delayed till 2013.

http://m.ign.com/art...ayed-to-q1-2013
DAMN IT! :hateit:

*sigh* :(

*is doubtful of even buying a wiiU on release date now*

Okay...thanks for mentioning it, mysticwaterfall. I'll add it to the OP.

As for the topic...erm...it's perhaps worth speculating in case both would have been released on the same day, but it's not much for a debate anymore. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end