Fl-ris82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dear GBATemp,

Like many of you I have patiently kept my WiiU offline while waiting for the possible release of homebrew. Now that great results have already been achieved, I was wondering whether people think it's worth keeping their WiiU offline (on old firmware) or using Mario Maker to update and use the online functionalities.
I also have the particular question whether it could ever be possible to use a workaround on a modded WiiU to use online functionalities but also stay on old firmware..? or has Nintendo made this absolutely impossible on their side?

D

Deleted-355425

Dear GBATemp,

Like many of you I have patiently kept my WiiU offline while waiting for the possible release of homebrew. Now that great results have already been achieved, I was wondering whether people think it's worth keeping their WiiU offline (on old firmware) or using Mario Maker to update and use the online functionalities.
I also have the particular question whether it could ever be possible to use a workaround on a modded WiiU to use online functionalities but also stay on old firmware..? or has Nintendo made this absolutely impossible on their side?

What firmware version is your wii u currently on?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Firmware spoofer is a thing but one hasnt yet been developed for the wiiu people have tryed but with no sucess so its up to you, wait or update, people need to make up their own minds if they prefer future homebrew or mario maker now, im also on the fence with lego dimensions but i will patiently wait with my 5.3.2.

Reactions: Reecey

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one can't wait for the official reggie editor (ie mario maker), no need for hacking... That being said, I also can't hack my wii u anyways as a Licensed Developer but hey its still really cool of nintendo to make this official :).

If you're willing to spend $60 for custom mario levels galore and online functionality right away, go ahead and update. Otherwise use the kernel exploit in combination with the NSMBU Editor (can't remember the name of it lol) and caffiine and wait for more homebrew to be released :P

Reactions: Fl-ris82 and Reecey

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I would 100% wait if your on FW5.3.2. If you update you know you will regret it soon as emunand and other spoofing methods come through. I don't think Mario Makers all that tbh, it doesn't excite me. I prefer the homebrew option way more, doing it through the exploit and setting it up with cafiine gets me going more!

Last edited by Reecey,

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If Mario Maker requires 5.4.0, is there a way to update to that without having to go with latest FW?
Not, yet, and not anytime REAL soon (like in the time it will take someone who is excited for a game to wait for it before he goes "screw it" and updates, like i did with splatoon updates recently xD)...
I will probably stick with buying a used WiiU with some kind of flaw so i can get it cheap, and not connecting that one to a working internet at all, but that's just me.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Homebrew never really interested me on my Wii U hence my console is always on the latest firmware.
And if i were to choose between the homebrew that exists today and enjoying everything that Super Mario Maker has to offer i'd choose Super Mario Maker without hesitation.

Reactions: Jackall4BDN

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Personally, I updated, not worth waiting around a long time for firmware spoofing that may not happen for a long time when Mario Maker is coming out so soon, plus I wouldn't be able to play Splatoon either. Both of those games really need online access to get the most out of them.
A Wii U without the gamepad only costs $100 so I always have the option of buying another one for cheap if/when warez loaders happen and keeping this one for legit use.

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of, there is no actual "requirement" it just won't start without the update since nintendo does that to semi-enforce the newest firmware, second, there was a day1-update (offcourse there was, every WiiU-title has it, so to actually play the courseworld you need to update) and said update removes a really annoying abitrary daily restriction for getting more features in the editor, so yeah, makes for a difference. It comes with 5.4.0 as far as i can tell from the update-data on disk, but i am a newb in that manner and my U is updated anyways, so i can't confirm much, here. If you want to actually play the game you probably need the update... Your move

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1