Hacking Mario Galaxy 2 4.2 Update

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.1 currently, instead of using the update method on the retail disc, can I just manually install the 4.2 menu .wad alone without having to re-install backup loading and homebrew related things?

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
56-v5405? Coulda sworn I already updated that one.
Thanks I will do that.
smile.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm pretty sure it was IOS56, anyway. Either way, the easiest way to use retail discs is to have Gecko OS autoinstall the required IOS for you assuming you don't have updates blocked.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I read on a forum's list of required updates for specific games, and under Galaxy 2 it says system menu 4.2, while most other games are just simple IOS. Wouldn't Gecko update it the same?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No game actually checks the system menu version so I don't see why Galaxy 2 would be any different. Besides, it runs just fine on my 4.1 setup so yeah.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, after some searching I found I just have to block disc updates. It also needed the latest IOS56 like you said, so thank you. :]

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you think nintendo have stop making updates???

Since november with NSMBW they didn't release one, and the one with galaxy didn't ask me to update even if im only on 4.1!!!

they fucked up last time with 4.2...

Kamina84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have the game personally; however, i recall NSMB Wii was trying to make you update to a newer ios file and install a newer Boot2 (Which would eliminate Nand backups for boot2, even if you already have 4.2). My recomendation, update to 4.2 from a safe updater (NOT THRU NINTENDO), and install Startpatch to block disc updates. That's my 2 cents.
smile.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kamina84 said:
I don't have the game personally; however, i recall NSMB Wii was trying to make you update to a newer ios file and install a newer Boot2 (Which would eliminate Nand backups for boot2, even if you already have 4.2). My recomendation, update to 4.2 from a safe updater (NOT THRU NINTENDO), and install Startpatch to block disc updates. That's my 2 cents.
smile.gif
Updating boot2 was a useless move on their part. If your Wii has the vulnerable boot1, then all you have to do is reinstall BootMii after the update. And in every case I've heard of the update prompt is triggered by not having the same revision or higher of a particular IOS. As long as that's installed, the game doesn't care what's going on in the system menu or at boot2. NSMB Wii worked like that the same as any other game.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
I got asked for an update with Red Steel 2 (retail disc) and I had updated to 4.2 officially before hand.

I wanted to know what it wanted to install. I ripped the game, looked in WiiScrubber and could find anything I didn't have.

I did an internal scan before, updated with the disc and did another internal scan after and the results were unchanged.

I still don't know what it installed but I did notice that with Dop-Mii, it didn't put all the IOSes in printed on screen in the .xml file. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is sad. His 2 movies were good. Informative about our food industry.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I think it's why I'm alive +1