OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didn't want to post this but I'm having a hard time figuring out the answers to the following questions. I tried Yahoo answers, and if you've ever used it, you know the people who use that are usually pretty dumb
tongue.gif

Anyways, I've Been thinking about getting a DS lite as they seem to do everything. Got lots of questions though:

When playing emulated games, does it still use both screens or just one? Since DS has two screens I'm curious to know how it works with older emulation stuff.

When playing emulated games, is there a way to connect another controller so another person could play? Playing emulation stuff is always funner with a 2nd player. No way you could attach another controller to it so another person could also play?

Can you browse the web for free granted you have an available wireless network around? Can you browse the web with it at all yet?

I read recently you can now make phone calls with the DS lite using VoIP. Are VoIP services usually free? Is it pretty sturdy or still in the beginning stages?

Can it play mp3s? How's the sound quality? Would be using headphones most likely.

Can it play DS backups off a memory/flash card? Like if I had a DS game, could I put the whole game onto a memory card and play without using the cartridge?

Maybe I'd just be better off getting a laptop. They're not quite as portable though =/

Hope you can answer some of my questions. Thanks.

Symbolic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, I've Been thinking about getting a DS lite as they seem to do everything. Got lots of questions though:

When playing emulated games, does it still use both screens or just one? Since DS has two screens I'm curious to know how it works with older emulation stuff.
Hm, it probably won't cause I haven't played many emu games and none of had both screens working

When playing emulated games, is there a way to connect another controller so another person could play? Playing emulation stuff is always funner with a 2nd player. No way you could attach another controller to it so another person could also play?
Hmm, maybe some emu can I believe

Can you browse the web for free granted you have an available wireless network around? Can you browse the web with it at all yet?
You need an extra expansion pack that'll work with your cart, the M3 has one and you can browse the interweb

I read recently you can now make phone calls with the DS lite using VoIP. Are VoIP services usually free? Is it pretty sturdy or still in the beginning stages?
Dunno about this

Can it play mp3s? How's the sound quality? Would be using headphones most likely.
Yes it can, it uses a homebrew program called "Moonshell" and the quality of the mp3 is pretty good

Can it play DS backups off a memory/flash card? Like if I had a DS game, could I put the whole game onto a memory card and play without using the cartridge?
Umm, hmm, yes and no, you'd have to get a ROM to play your DS game but I dunno about the saves, tho

Maybe I'd just be better off getting a laptop. They're not quite as portable though =/

I answered these question with my own knowledge about and hopefully it'll answer your questions...^^

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ropeadope said:
When playing emulated games, is there a way to connect another controller so another person could play?
Not with any emulator I've heard of, but there is no reason it wouldn't be possible.

ropeadope said:
Can it play mp3s? How's the sound quality?
The sound quality is pretty bad IMO. I don't have any other mp3 player and I still won't use the DS for mp3s because the sound quality just isn't good enough.

QUOTE(ropeadope @ Jul 29 2008, 03:59 AM)
Assuming you have a flashcart to stick the memory card into, then yes.

ropeadope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a'plenty guys.

So you could actually buy some controller (maybe a wireless one) and get it working with the DS to use as a second controller? I know most emulators let you bind your own controls. Not sure where the controller would plug into though unless the DS has a USB port.

There might be a problem with the save files using a backup/rom? Do you guys have to pirate the roms or can you just back them up from your own games? I thought I read recently you don't have to acquire them illegally anymore.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ropeadope said:
Thanks a'plenty guys.

So you could actually buy some controller (maybe a wireless one) and get it working with the DS to use as a second controller? I know most emulators let you bind your own controls. Not sure where the controller would plug into though unless the DS has a USB port.

I have never heard of this being done, sorry!

23qwerty

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ropeadope said:
Didn't want to post this but I'm having a hard time figuring out the answers to the following questions. I tried Yahoo answers, and if you've ever used it, you know the people who use that are usually pretty dumb
tongue.gif

Emulators on the DS use either the top or bottom screen.

No
Yeah the best DS web browser (other than Opera) is Bunjalloo
I'm pretty sure there is one but I've never gotten it to work.
The quality is decent with headphones.
Yes, you can also download the roms

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ropeadope said:
Thanks a'plenty guys.

There is no external controller, but some emus (such as NeoDS) plan to let you link two DSs together, and play 2-player that way.

ropeadope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
strata8 said:
ropeadope said:
Thanks a'plenty guys.

There is no external controller, but some emus (such as NeoDS) plan to let you link two DSs together, and play 2-player that way.

Otherwise there's no way to play 2 player though? Even in emulation (that's what I'm talking about).

Also, is it a good investment to buy some kind of screen protector?

Is it a pain for someone else to try and watch you play while you're playing? I mean can the other person see the screen ok if it's not right in front of them or is there side glare?

Some weird questions I know
tongue.gif

Basically the only reason I want to get a DS lite to load it up with lots of homebrew stuff and Roms (legal of course
smile.gif
).

I want to be able to browse the web with it, and make phone calls with it. How much will additional stuff cost that I need to get to be able to do all of that stuff? Need a flash cart of some sort? (Also, I know little about flashcarts/memory stuff as I never really owned anything that used them). Am I looking at +$40 of extra stuff I need to buy or $70 worth of stuff? This will be the deciding factor in whether or not I get a DS lite. How complicated is it to make your DS capable of browsing the web and making phone calls (VoIP)? Can always make phone calls with it as long as there is free Wifi around? (Like at a starbucks for example, they all have free wifi, right?)

I figured this would be the place to ask, you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about DS stuff. Only got one day to pull the trigger also so I gotta cram some knowledge pretty quick. Thanks.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ropeadope said:
Also, is it a good investment to buy some kind of screen protector?

Is it a pain for someone else to try and watch you play while you're playing? I mean can the other person see the screen ok if it's not right in front of them or is there side glare?

I want to be able to browse the web with it, and make phone calls with it. How much will additional stuff cost that I need to get to be able to do all of that stuff? Need a flash cart of some sort? (Also, I know little about flashcarts/memory stuff as I never really owned anything that used them). Am I looking at +$40 of extra stuff I need to buy or $70 worth of stuff? This will be the deciding factor in whether or not I get a DS lite. How complicated is it to make your DS capable of browsing the web and making phone calls (VoIP)? Can always make phone calls with it as long as there is free Wifi around? (Like at a starbucks for example, they all have free wifi, right?)

Screen protectors aren't a necessity. But if you want to get obsessive, I heard Hori makes the best.

There is no side glare on the DS Lite. It's very easy to watch over a shoulder or from the side.

You can download homebrew browsers (or even get a rom of the official one) But I don't know which is the best. But they ARE out there. There is also VoIP homebrew like HelloDS and SVSIP. But you should do your own research on which is best suited for your needs.

A Slot-1 cart can run you anywhere from 35-45 dollars not including shipping. But you should hurry as I've heard the R4 has been bumped up to $50.

Cheers,
Sax

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the screen protectors, I never use them. I put some Hori protectors on once and the touchscreen response was horrible. I have never scratched the screen at all with the official stylus either...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.