Manually convert (some) PS3 pkg+rap to iso [Windows]

Not all games are compatible with this method (astute readers will notice I wrote the tutorial using the port of Alex Kidd as an example, which is in fact an incompatible one).
This process therefore doesn't pay off with objective gains, however I prefer having as many titles packaged into a single file cleanly selectable in Webman :)

"PSN Liberator" by @"Rudi Rastelli" is supposed to automate this, however it didn't work for me (complaining at being unable to find a Klicensee or something), so...

1. Get the attached package and extract it! You will also need a hex editor, such as HxD.
  2. Steal/acquire one or more .pkg files and, if needed, their associated .rap
    1 - open package.png
  3. Drag and drop the .pkg file on the PkgView program.
  4. In PkgView, right click the root folder (named with the titleID of the application) and extract it (the "to source folder" option saves in the same folder as the .pkg)
  5. Meanwhile, rename the included NPUB00000 folder with the titleID. Close PkgView when you're done.
    2 - move files.png
  6. The result of the extraction will be a folder with the game's name, containing another with the titleID. Enter that one, where you'll see files and folders such as USRDIR and PIC0. Move everything, including but not limited to those 2 items, to the PS3_GAME subfolder of the one we just renamed.
    3 - ps3_disc.png
  7. Open PS3_DISC.SFB in a hex editor. At 0x220 you should see a titleID (with a dash in the middle): change it to our game's. Save and quit.
    4 - eboot conversion.png
  8. Open the SELF resigner's folder. Copy the .rap, if you have one, in the "raps" folder. Copy the game's EBOOT.BIN into the same folder as the resigner.
  9. Make sure the output method is set to "4.XX STD", then use function number 2 to convert PSN encryption to disc encryption.
    Some games may also need the conversion of further SELF executables, I can't help you there...
    5 - eboot conversion.png
  10. Close the resigner, and replace the game's EBOOT.BIN with the converted one.
    6 - param sfo.png
  11. Open the game's PARAM.SFO in an appropriate editor (the one included requires the Visual Basic 5 runtimes to be installed).
  12. Change the "Category" from HG to DG, save and quit
    7 - iso.png
  13. Drag the titleID folder over makeps3iso, wait for the packaging, then upload to dev_hdd0:/PS3ISO/ with your favorite method (Multiman split4g included for your convenience if said method is a FAT32 disk)
  14. Hopefully, enjoy the game...

Attachments

• Tools.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,727

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice tutorial, I never had to do this many steps when I do it to my games, but hopefully, this makes it easy for someone else. :D

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used this to convert many games but one that I've seen over and over that's supposed to work is Resident Evil 4 that I can never get to work. I have tried both PAL and USA but I usually see that NPEB00342 (PAL) version is what works on most compatibility list but no luck. I have tried both as a folder format and as an ISO and when launching the game it just exits to xmb.

D

Deleted User

I have used this to convert many games.
Hello! Did every game work for you with this guide? I recently tried inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, but it gave me a black screen. I wonder if any additional step is needed. OP said: "Some games may also need the conversion of further SELF executables". Maybe that's why it didn't work in my case...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder if any additional step is needed. OP said: "Some games may also need the conversion of further SELF executables". Maybe that's why it didn't work in my case...
Try look into the game's folders to see if there are EDAT/SELF files (I'm not sure if they can have any extension, but usually they have these ones) - though I vaguely remember* they would give you an actual crash with error, and black screen generally means it's accidentally or deliberately programmed to only work from disc instead of HDD or viceversa

* it's been a long time since I last used my PS3 - in fact this guide is probably one of the last things I did

Reactions: Deleted User

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ones with the edats or selfs suck the most. I think I had to use PSN Liberator for those and get keys on top of that.

And the creator of Liberator took it off psx-place just a few days ago. I know i once used it and it deleted 600 gb of my PS3 games off an external hard drive I had. Just wiped em out in a matter of seconds.

D

Deleted User

Try look into the game's folders to see if there are EDAT/SELF files
Thanks for your answer! I did a little research and managed to get inFAMOUS to work (finally). The process I used is kind of similar to your guide, but indeed I had to resign an EDAT file (didn't look for SELF files). I did the same proceess with God of War: Chains of Olympus, but it returned to the XMB. The game folder does not have any SELF files, and I resigned only an EDAT one so, maybe it's designed to work from HDD, just like you said... I'm disappointed :(

@EmulateLife I tried to use PSN Liberator but I don't really know which files I have to put where, or where do I get them, especially the keys you talked about. The guide at psx-place isn't clear enough for me :unsure:

PS: I know this is an old thread but I just bought my PS3 and I'm new to the scene, sorry :P

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this remove the edat or self file but don't delete it, just move it to a different folder and retry the method in this thread or if that doesn't work try with PSN Liberator. If that doesn't help you have to get the klicensee for the game from your PS3 and I don't remember how you'll probably have to join this forum and ask https://www.psx-place.com/

If you have to get the klicensee then move the edat/self file back where it was.

D

Deleted User

Try this remove the edat or self file but don't delete it, just move it to a different folder and retry the method in this thread or if that doesn't work try with PSN Liberator. If that doesn't help you have to get the klicensee for the game from your PS3.
Thanks for your answer! I'll try that once I get home.
So the key that you mentioned before is the same as the klicense or a different thing?

D

Deleted User

@Ryccardo @EmulateLife
Hey guys, sorry to keep bumping here, I just need a piece of advice.
I got to boot GOW Chains of Olympus, but as soon as the game starts, a mesage pops out saying that there is not enough space on the system storage. I hit "X" before it appeared, and got to the main menu. But the message then showed up and it force me to quit to the XMB. The edat file is not even in the iso of the game. Maybe is just a dummy file for who knows what. I've been trying forever and I don't know what to do anymore.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you're not out of space on your internal? Some games make you install even though you've converted them. Check in settings.

But another option why not just get the God of War Origins Collection? Then you don't have to worry about converting it.

D

Deleted User

Are you sure you're not out of space on your internal? Some games make you install even though you've converted them. Check in settings.

But another option why not just get the God of War Origins Collection? Then you don't have to worry about converting it.
Thanks for your answer!
Well, I don't have anything on the PS3. No installed games/apps whatsoever. I have all my games on an esternal HDD. I was reading something about this issue. Supposedly I need to fill the drive with some data :huh:
I have the Origins Collection, but I like to have an ISO file for each game (call me crazy).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ryccardo @EmulateLife
Hey guys, sorry to keep bumping here, I just need a piece of advice.
I got to boot GOW Chains of Olympus, but as soon as the game starts, a mesage pops out saying that there is not enough space on the system storage. I hit "X" before it appeared, and got to the main menu. But the message then showed up and it force me to quit to the XMB. The edat file is not even in the iso of the game. Maybe is just a dummy file for who knows what. I've been trying forever and I don't know what to do anymore.

you can tell if it's a dummy file by trying to dump the klicense with the system. if nothing is recorded, it most likely is a dummy file and can be deleted or renamed. psn liberator can't determine this as it's not a bruteforce tool, so it will ask for the klicense or scan its database if it encounters an edat.

Sagar_Deepak

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hlo, i am new here i am too trying to convert GOW Chain of Olympus but it said me game is courrpted, i used PKG+rap+liberator.
I successfully done few games
Resident Evil 4
Limbo
Gow 1
Gow 2
Duck Tales Remastered
Can some 1 help me

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hlo, i am new here i am too trying to convert GOW Chain of Olympus but it said me game is courrpted, i used PKG+rap+liberator.
I successfully done few games
Resident Evil 4
Limbo
Gow 1
Gow 2
Duck Tales Remastered
Can some 1 help me

may not be compatible. some games aren't. make sure you have the klicense (if needed). not all games need one as some edat files are dummy or nonexistent.

TwinsUltra64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can someone try if this works with Tombi 2/Tomba 2??? The game is missing the .rap file and the iso runs like crap with the music issue isn't enjoyable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner/bf the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner/bf the sascrotch or smth?