Managing legit and non-legit content

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Arkansaw, Oct 30, 2016.

?

storing legit vs non-legit stuff

1. single console: single nnid with linked emunand

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. single console: multiple nnid with unlinked emunand(s)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. single console: multiple nnid with different sd cards

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. multiple consoles: some for legit, some for non-legit

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. others: please explain

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. Arkansaw
    OP

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    How do people manage their stuff? I keep everything in one place, but system transfer can be tricky since it is not guaranteed for the non-legit stuff, so maybe I will be moving the non-legit stuff to a separate set.

2. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Official depressed pikachu

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    I dont system transfer... I dont have the money for another console and I dont need one as I have a N3DSXL :tpi::tpi::tpi::tpi::tpi::tpi::tpi:

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    I don't even use emuNAND, A9LH + SysNAND for me :P

4. trinhno

trinhno GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2015
    Senegal
    Batch back up your saves, both legit and no, before system transfer. You always have a purchase history in your e-shop as well.

Most people don't switch system frequently enough to do separate and it's a hassle to switch when you just want to play a different game.

5. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    I simply use SysNAND + A9LH + Luma. No need to worry about NNIDs and links unlinks.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I try to keep all my pirated content on the GW cart but I have a couple of things installed to the 3DS as well.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't really understand the question. When you system transfer, the saves will all move, and the pirated games (but they won't show until you install their tickets). There's no need to keep them separated. In fact it's a bad idea to keep separate SD cards because only the SD card inserted in the system will have its data converted for use in the target console. Any SD card left out will no longer be able to use its content.

8. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    This makes sense for now for single n3ds, but what is the risk of getting locked-in? with no way back to clean 9.2 (or an equivalent starting point for exploitable set)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

For the non-legit stuff you need to dump the save data first I guess (I don't assume they will work with system transfer in the first place). Figuring out which is legit and which is not is the problematic part. I have stuff that was from legit carts but dumped into cia for convenience etc :wink:

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Locked in what? I don't understand :unsure:
    And why would you want to go back to an unhacked 9.2? You could restore a NAND backup not using Decrypt9's "keep a9lh". Or if you don't have a backup, downgrade to 9.2 and uninstall a9lh.
    But why would you ever want to remove a9lh? There's zero disadvantages over a stock system (especially once you have the SDless fork of a9lh).

You can backup the save data if you wish, but it will all get transferred with the system transfer, as it's contained in the Nintendo 3DS folder just like all your other saves.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  10. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Yes, so now that I have multiple sets, the set with mixed content is proving to be troublesome since I need to be careful with the non-legit stuff I have on it.

a9lh setups are assumed to update to latest sysnand with a9lh in place. There might be newer firmware that is not downgradeable (without nand backup), so you can become stuck with a9lh and no way to remove it (or get stuck on firmware that is not downgradable)

11. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you have a9lh you don't need to worry about downgrading anymore. Downgrading is only for when you want to get a9lh. Also, the things that block you from downgrading in higher firmwares can be simply sidestepped with arm9 exploits. So if you want to downgrade for some reason then you can just do it and not worry about whatever blocks Nintendo has put in place for stock consoles.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Oct 30, 2016
  12. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Single console, single NNID, no emunand. I don't care about mixing legit and non-legit things. They're all thrown in together. If I need to system transfer I'll just import the tickets again and I can go back to using it all.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Downgrading is what I did to have access to CFW in general, not just for a9lh, so leaving the system in a state that is only safe when a9lh is in place, without an easy/feasible way to undo a9lh, constitutes lock-in. Counting on a9lh to stay in place, to keep the rest of my options open, is that much more risky.

14. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    My case is unique. I have an european n3DS. My NNID is stuck on my o3DS XL, but I mainly use that for Pokemon.

My non-legit content is on the european n3DS, but I still dump and play my own cias as well on it

15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't think you understand what a9lh is. https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/

You sound like you're saying this:
    "We have to make sure we can take off our life jackets quickly. Have to keep the straps loose and easy to undo. Counting on it to stay in place is risky. Have to keep options open. When a big wave comes and washes us off the boat, we need to be able to have the option to take off our life jackets while we're alone in a dark freezing ocean because if we can't take them off then how are we going to put them on?"

16. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Single NNID, sysnand. No emunand.

17. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I mix it all for all of my consoles.

18. Altairseven

Altairseven GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    Argentina
    i dont really care what it used to be legal or not, since i have never had to even open the eshop since i had a9lh on mi console, I just mix all my content.

In the end of the day.. what matters is having all the games you want at your disposal on the go, thats why i even installed digital versions of the gamecarts I already owned.

Last edited by Altairseven, Oct 31, 2016
  19. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    with nnid, no emunand.

20. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    If you are comparing a9lh to a life jacket, then that is as risky as it sounds because a9lh is not needed in the beginning. Using a9lh requires you to enter the ocean, which is added risk.