ROM Hack making a psone emulator on the ds possible?

blader600

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idiot
dry.gif
shut the fuck up bicth

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A PS1 emulator is possible, its just not worth doing as the DS isnt powerful enough to have it running even at half speed of a PS console.

I'm sure someone will eventually attempt it but you will never see PS1 emulation on the DS with games running at a decent speed.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems I read somewhere that a system has to be AT LEAST 10X as powerful as the system it's trying to emulate. The DS, on a clock-for-clock comparison, is only 2X as powerful. That's only the main CPU, that doesn't include the other CPU's running in the PS1....separate sound and graphics chips, for example.

The DS doesn't have the ability to emulate all the different chips in a PS1 at any kind of acceptable speed. The DS is a relatively low-powered device by today's standards, it just ain't fast enough.

The best you could EVER hope for is maybe a very simple PS1 game to run, without sound and still be much slower than normal.

Or maybe someone will attempt to recompile a game somehow to run on DS.....which is something different altogether......and highly unlikely in anything other than a homebrew clone or a professional development studio recreation of a game that was on the PS1.

Most of the people who replied knew this, but would rather be sarcastic or very short with their answers instead of helpful. I do that a lot too, don't take it personally. It happens.

And for those that didn't know, now you do.

grog.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a long time ago a wise programmer once said that you can emulate anything on any system, it doesn't mean that it will run well. So basically you can run psx code on a ds or even xbox code, gamecube code, etc. But will it be playable? probably not. Also look at the N64 emulator for PC. Most PC chips are 32bit internally and 64bit externally (bus). So what you have is an emulator that is translating, sometimes even hacking, code down so it will run through a 32bit gate. In the beginning it ran really poor but when faster computers came about and better graphics cards, that alleviated the problem to a degree and other programmers came up with better emulation. The DS appears to be a pretty underpowered system so I don't think you'd do to well with many things that are more than 8 or 16bit.

Macavity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had a spare weekend, and I thought, why not code my own PS1 emulator for the DS?
It took about 12 hours, including reworking the entire way code is handled on the DS, but I think it was worth it.
Here's an old favorite of mine running at a pretty nice 45 FPS - I wish I could get it up to 60, but then I'd probably have to replace the DS' graphical engine with a lawnmower engine
smile.gif

mspaintdoesnotequalphotoshop.jpg

Everything seems to be compatible, so far. I'll release it for beta testing in a few weeks.

Jesus christ, if you actually believed this, you'd be ridiculously stupid (and bad at noticing photoshops)

blader600

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems I read somewhere that a system has to be AT LEAST 10X as powerful as the system it's trying to emulate. The DS, on a clock-for-clock comparison, is only 2X as powerful. That's only the main CPU, that doesn't include the other CPU's running in the PS1....separate sound and graphics chips, for example.Â

The DS doesn't have the ability to emulate all the different chips in a PS1 at any kind of acceptable speed. The DS is a relatively low-powered device by today's standards, it just ain't fast enough.

The best you could EVER hope for is maybe a very simple PS1 game to run, without sound and still be much slower than normal.

Or maybe someone will attempt to recompile a game somehow to run on DS.....which is something different altogether......and highly unlikely in anything other than a homebrew clone or a professional development studio recreation of a game that was on the PS1.

Most of the people who replied knew this, but would rather be sarcastic or very short with their answers instead of helpful. I do that a lot too, don't take it personally. It happens.

And for those that didn't know, now you do.

grog.gif

thank you very much for informing me on this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1