• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,
D

Deleted User

Looks really bleak. Hopefully the NHS doesnt get screwed up too badly, I heard it was patched in March, can anyone confirm that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not using windows is really not an option when running an enterprise.
It was patched 2-4 days ago.

D

Deleted-355425

I'm currently using Malwarebytes with Norton internet security coupled with a VPN and good browser security/protection plugins plus a password manager secured with a yubikey and i've never had any issues.

D

Deleted User

I'm currently using Malwarebytes with Norton internet security coupled with a VPN and good browser security/protection plugins plus a password manager secured with a yubikey and i've never had any issues.
Norton is like, using a broken condom, everything will get to it. Just get rid of it, seriously, it only hugs RAM and nothing else.

Reactions: Deleted User

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Norton is like, using a broken condom, everything will get to it. Just get rid of it, seriously, it only hugs RAM and nothing else.
Norton is actually one of the worst viruses you can have. I've stopped using antiviruses like 15 years ago and never had a pc problem since. obviously i don't install just anything on my pc and always use restore points.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
And this is how we learn the security updates for your OS actually matter. Make sure your Windows Update is up to date and you have installed all security updates, at least until the beggining of April.

This is how it works: a vulnerability gets found, companies issue a patch. Most people ignore those updates, and get exposed to someone who exploits those vulnerabilities.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it's a serious issue. You just need to update your Windows copy to latest update, not upgrade.
umm no thanks i'll pass.
Norton is actually one of the worst viruses you can have. I've stopped using antiviruses like 15 years ago and never had a pc problem since. obviously i don't install just anything on my pc and always use restore points.
i use and old testmode win 7 build 7601 and it works flawlessly.

Last edited by comput3rus3r,
D

Deleted User

I'm a hardcore man..
  • Windows Defender
  • MBAM
  • No restore points, no backups, nothing
And i haven't got infected in like what, 7 years?

D

Deleted-355425

We are talking about their Internet security not their anti virus.

D

Deleted User

I'm a hardcore man..
  • Windows Defender
  • MBAM
  • No restore points, no backups, nothing
And i haven't got infected in like what, 7 years?
No backups is really stupid, especially in 7 years. I don't know what MBAM is but Windows Defender is QUITE good.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted User

umm no thanks i'll pass.
Pass, and get infected. This ransomware will infect anything that's on lower system version.
That's why System updates are important.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No backups is really stupid, especially in 7 years. I don't know what MBAM is but Windows Defender is QUITE good.
I don't need backups since i do basically nothing on my PC. Just play games.
If something breaks or gets infected, I have spare Linux Live CD so i can fix my shit.
MBAM = Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It destroys everything, even AVs.

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Problem with these updates from XP is that you cannot do it without re-buying or rewriting most of your professional software, including medical device drivers. And this can cost hundreds if not thousands of $ per PC plus many hours support and maintenance / bug fixing. This is the reason why never change a running system is still the only way to go in many professional environments. But this setup needs additional protection.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Problem with these updates from XP is that you cannot do it without re-buying or rewriting most of your professional software, including medical device drivers. And this can cost hundreds if not thousands of $ per PC plus many hours support and maintenance / bug fixing. This is the reason why never change a running system is still the only way to go in many professional environments. But this setup needs additional protection.
You could run XP in a virtual machine cut-off from the virus-infected word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk