Magnet wire sizing for install

andy_mg2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been around soldering for some time and usually use kynar 30 awg for most tasks. Having read on the Trinket M0 thread that 40 awg magnet wire was recommended I thought I would order some, and so I got 0.08mm which should be slightly thicker than 40 awg. However looking at what's arrived I'm a little surprised about how thin this stuff is; its like the thickness of a hair. Can anyone review the image below to confirm this thickness looks ok? It may be fine, but I've just never used this wire and its way thinner than I had expected so was looking for some re-assurance before it goes in.

wire.jpg

Thanks,
Andy

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't underestimate hundredths of a millimeters ;P this is like 3 thousandths of an inch (a sheet of paper is 0.004" for the record.)

40AWG = 0.0031"/0.07874mm

You should get dial calipers or something because a measuring tape just isn't going to cut it here.

andy_mg2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't underestimate hundredths of a millimeters ;P this is like 3 thousandths of an inch (a sheet of paper is 0.004" for the record.)

40AWG = 0.0031"/0.07874mm

You should get dial calipers or something because a measuring tape just isn't going to cut it here.
Yeah. The ruler was more to give an idea of scale I’m talking about rather than an accurate measurement.

So I think hair like wire is to be expected, but was just a little hesitant as it’s much thinner than anything else I’ve used before.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8