• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,556
  • Replies 10
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello all. I'm looking for help in extracting the SHIP.PPS file which contains the game script. I have already extracted the ps2 script. I just need help finding a way to extract and repack the PPS. I know there is a font issue in the psp version. I just want to insert the script and figure the spacing issue later. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ship.pps has a 2-part table, first part is sectorstart addresses, second part is file sizes.
multiply sectorstarts by 0x800 to get file locations. There is no nametable, and there's 9518 files inside.

Ship.pps and ship1.pps are the same file btw, if my memory serves me right, the game actually uses only ship1.pps and the other file can safely be removed, reducing the game's size by roughly 300 MB.

the files inside are largely identical to the ps2 version counterparts, however, i will warn you that porting over the ps2 script is not as easy as throwing the files in and calling it a day.
you will have to edit LOTS of the text files to make them work on the psp, othervise the game will just crash on you every 2 minutes.

also, it will look like this, so getting it to play nice takes some asm trickery with the text parser.

mcptest.png

on a side note, since the game is running on mauritius engine (a korean hack of unreal engine for ps2), some things on it can be edited with a certain version of unreal editor, but if you attempt this, you will have to keep in mind file endianess and account for the console specific changes made to the file headers.

mauritius.png

Last edited by Kitsu-neechan,

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
im aware of this, i just dropped working on this to get some time for games that dont have an english version available yet.
this mess on the picture here i made somewhere around 2009 or something if my memory serves me. It's still on my list of shit that needs to get over with, but im currently working on Zill O'll infinite plus until that's done and haven't really thought much about what to do afterwards. Assuming i find a translator for the job, I might attempt to finish up Utawarerumono portable first.

what you see above is quite literally nothing but the ps2 files thrown into the psp version and some files patched up to make the game not crash all the time.
the script format is pretty straightforward and supports manual linebreaking so my plan was simply to just nuke the autolinebreak and deal with it by hand, or then write a wrapper for it and slip it somewhere in the elf, the ps2 to psp ports always have tons of space for extra code on the executables.

at any rate, i dropped it prior to getting to that point with it, so basically what i did was wrote a tool to deal with the pps file, parsed the filelists to import the ps2 files and wrote a tool to decompress and compile the graphic archive data files (.lin in ps2 version.) sans that i didnt really look too much into it. a pile of the graphics would propably have to be remade for the psp version since UI stuff is significantly different from ps2, so importing is not propably possible.

Last edited by Kitsu-neechan,
D

Deleted User

OP
Th
im aware of this, i just dropped working on this to get some time for games that dont have an english version available yet.
this mess on the picture here i made somewhere around 2009 or something if my memory serves me. It's still on my list of shit that needs to get over with, but im currently working on Zill O'll infinite plus until that's done and haven't really thought much about what to do afterwards. Assuming i find a translator for the job, I might attempt to finish up Utawarerumono portable first.

what you see above is quite literally nothing but the ps2 files thrown into the psp version and some files patched up to make the game not crash all the time.
the script format is pretty straightforward and supports manual linebreaking so my plan was simply to just nuke the autolinebreak and deal with it by hand, or then write a wrapper for it and slip it somewhere in the elf, the ps2 to psp ports always have tons of space for extra code on the executables.

at any rate, i dropped it prior to getting to that point with it, so basically what i did was wrote a tool to deal with the pps file, parsed the filelists to import the ps2 files and wrote a tool to decompress and compile the graphic archive data files (.lin in ps2 version.) sans that i didnt really look too much into it. a pile of the graphics would propably have to be remade for the psp version since UI stuff is significantly different from ps2, so importing is not propably possible.
Thank you for all of the excellent information. I was unaware that you have been working on this project. Didn't think anyone would be interested to tell the truth. I'll leave the project to you then and focus on a few of my own. Thanks again!

Reactions: ExData7

Danethos86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i to am hoping for this game tanslated sense the game is amazing and love to play this game again one day soon on handheld.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Psi likes to milk beavers lol