Hacking M3i Zero (GMP-Z003) Help thread

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I may not own nor intend to own an M3i Zero (GMP-Z003), but I think it's about time someone make one thread for all the problems so people can post here and someone who knows know how to fix the problem can answer their questions
Sadly I am not the one to fix the problems, so don't rely on me, I can only answer the few questions I am I posting now.

Q. Does the M3i Zero GMP-Z003 work with alternate firmwares such as the Quad-Boot, YSM3, or M3 Wood?
A.No, sadly it was made with new hardware to lock those firmwares out.
Q. Will it ever work with alternate firmwares?
A. Give it some time, someone might work it out, but there's no promise
Q. Does Sakura work on GMP-z003? I thought only Touchpod will do the trick.
A. Currently, M3Sakura/iSakuReal/TouchPod will work.
Q. My M3i Zero has a sleep error. It won't go into sleep mode or the screen flickers, what's wrong with it?
A. From what I know, this error is either a hardware problem with the M3i Zero GMP-Z003 or a software problem
Now start posting questions and answers and I will add them as they come.

vyperstrike

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems like every other question involves the sleep issue, where it blinks on/off instead of sleeping.

Basic research makes me think it's related to the SD card, but I can't confirm til my new SD arrives, hopefully by the time I get home from my parents house. I'll update when I test it.

Note: I have a 2gig Kingston SD, bought a few years ago. Don't remember the class, and I don't see it written on the side, but I noticed someone else also had a 2gig Kingston. Might be an issue with that card, maybe that speed. His was class 2.

chiark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As above, sleep flicking on and off seems to be the issue. The card I have is a 2GB Kingston Class 2 MicroSD. One place that the M3iZero and this card *does* sleep is in the Multiplayer option screen of New Super Mario Bros DS, which does make me think it's something to do with software/firmware rather than the card.

Perhaps this thread should serve to be the sleep issue thread
biggrin.gif
with the list of working and non-working cards... Perhaps a moderator could lock the others and redirect to here?

Mp3Markel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for creating this thread! I bought 3 of these cards for Christmas gifts and I am having trouble with one of the cards booting to a black screen. The SD cards are formatted with FAT32, I used the latest Sakura firmware and Fcore. Thanks for any help!

chiark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The solution I have seen is to use a class 2 SD card, however I am already using a Class 2 Micro SD card... (Kingston 2GB MicroSD)... and that doesn't work.

Perhaps people could post a list of known good and known bad SD cards?

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
chiark said:
The solution I have seen is to use a class 2 SD card, however I am already using a Class 2 Micro SD card... (Kingston 2GB MicroSD)... and that doesn't work.

Perhaps people could post a list of known good and known bad SD cards?
Well I can start a small list, but it would help if people listed what works and what doesn't work

Dakdas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vyperstrike said:
My new SD (An 8gb class 4 basically no-name) also has the sleep issue.
Old card was a Kingston 2gb. Dunno the class though, it's not printed on the card.

Same situation as you, only my 8 gig card is a Class 6. I also have the sleep mode problem.

Pretty sure it's a hardware/firmware problem, and not related to the class of card, but who really knows.

chiark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One thing worth mentioning: sleep *does* work in certain places. The one place I've found is on New Super Mario Bros DS, in the menu for Mario vs Luigi... There, closing the lid causes the DS to say "bye bye" and *NOT* wake up.

This suggests to me that it's a firmware problem not catering for some circumstances - interrupts, inputs, whatever, but I would assume that the M3 firmware team could dig into find out what is different in that instance?

pgr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was already wondering and thinking i might have a fake card with the power cable going in the wrong side and led in the center in contradiction to so many youtube videos.

now it seems to be clear that i got that new model. i was relieved but now i read that it has certain restrictions.
does anyone know, why it doesnt run custom firmwares? is that actively prevented by the new model, or are the reasons just hardware changes for which the custom firmwares simply arent built yet?
what might have been m3's reason for the change? does the new version have advantages? is it cheaper? or is it actually supposed to lock out custom firmwares?
since m3 isnt selling their firmware, i cant imagine that they are interested in less development and therefore less free support around their hardware.

piblow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have a solution, but I performed some basic tests that may help narrow down where to locate the issue.

I have;
a DS Lite and a DSi XL(1.4.1U)
a M3 and a M3i(1.6.1)
2 8G microSD cards - each of different brands, but both have identical software on them

Testing the combinations I could, I found; The M3i results in a flickering sleep mode with either of the microSD cards in either DS units. The M3 in the DS Lite has no issues. I would have to suggest the problem lies within the M3i cart or its firmware. I hope this helps.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
piblow said:
I don't have a solution, but I performed some basic tests that may help narrow down where to locate the issue.

I have;
a DS Lite and a DSi XL(1.4.1U)
a M3 and a M3i(1.6.1)
2 8G microSD cards - each of different brands, but both have identical software on them

Testing the combinations I could, I found; The M3i results in a flickering sleep mode with either of the microSD cards in either DS units. The M3 in the DS Lite has no issues. I would have to suggest the problem lies within the M3i cart or its firmware. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the testing
happy.gif

Right now it appears to be a 50/50 chance that it's either hardware, software, or both.
Before anyone can confirm either of them, we need to wait till an update and hope they address this error in the update. If not, it's more than likely to be a hardware problem.

Kalsard

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The sleep bug is annoying, but I figured out (well all that I tested), that when doing something wi-fi in games, it would sleep properly. Now just waiting for fix...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and my old one is wario, sans, papyrus, and cosmo from sonic x