Homebrew LumaCFW Stuck on Boot?

ihaveawindows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have no clue what the cluster size is, I do have a windows pc on me that isnt mine but that I can use though, so how would I check it w/ that? I have a sd>usb and all that ready to see

sorry for the late reply, I had school, cluster size is... well... I don't know the definition of it, but on windows in the format drive menu, there's a dropdown menu for cluster size, just like @fmkid said, use 64kb for your 128 gig sd card

Terran0va

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the late reply, I had school, cluster size is... well... I don't know the definition of it, but on windows in the format drive menu, there's a dropdown menu for cluster size, just like @fmkid said, use 64kb for your 128 gig sd card

On Windows, I dont get the option for MS-DOS/FAT32, only ExFAT and NTFS. I dont know if when I hit format it shows my currently selected settings when it comes to cluster size (or Allocation Unit Size) but the default that shows up is 128 Kilobytes.

should i change that to 64 kilos first or should I reinstall Godmode9 first?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On Windows, I dont get the option for MS-DOS/FAT32, only ExFAT and NTFS. I dont know if when I hit format it shows my currently selected settings when it comes to cluster size (or Allocation Unit Size) but the default that shows up is 128 Kilobytes.

You will want to download the program Guiformat. It will let you choose what you want for formating your sd card.

Reactions: Terran0va

Terran0va

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened my 3ds and now its not doing the luma config thing anymore, I dont know what the hell I did though...

Edit: And now it's doing it again, what the hell ._ .

Last edited by Terran0va,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'd also try a hardware test tool to check if the select button is stuck being pressed.

Try holding both the L and DPAD down button in the home menu. If the Rosalina menu opens it means your select button is stuck (as the combination to open it is L+dpad down + select)

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
My last suggestions for your case would be try with a different and clean SD card (on FAT32 format, 32 or 64kB cluster size depending of the size) and with at least the boot.firm from Luma's latest release on root of the SD card or just following this exactly post.

Also, you can try with setting Luma on CTRNAND and then testing the behaviour but without any SD card into the console.

If in both cases the erratic behaviour persists, then you should highly consider a stucked buttons situation, and must be neccesary a hardware related clean/mainteinance/repair

Edit: Dunno exactly, but perharps a simple console formatting, or perform either CTRTransfer or CTRTransfer - Type D9 methods could be considered too. But they could be desperate measures after all

Last edited by fmkid,

Terran0va

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try holding both the L and DPAD down button in the home menu. If the Rosalina menu opens it means your select button is stuck (as the combination to open it is L+dpad down + select)

I did this, it's not stuck at all.

My last suggestions for your case would be try with a different and clean SD card (on FAT32 format, 32 or 64kB cluster size depending of the size) and with at least the boot.firm from Luma's latest release on root of the SD card or just following this exactly post.

Also, you can try with setting Luma on CTRNAND and then testing the behaviour but without any SD card into the console.

If in both cases the erratic behaviour persists, then you should highly consider a stucked buttons situation, and must be neccesary a hardware related clean/mainteinance/repair

Edit: Dunno exactly, but perharps a simple console formatting, or perform either CTRTransfer or CTRTransfer - Type D9 methods could be considered too. But they could be desperate measures after all

This is a new sd card, just 128 kilos, I'll try 64 kilos and let you know.

As for trying it w/o my sd, it just turns off as soon as i turn it on. The blue appears for about a second and then dies.

I may try formatting the 3ds if nothing else works.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did this, it's not stuck at all.

This is a new sd card, just 128 kilos, I'll try 64 kilos and let you know.

As for trying it w/o my sd, it just turns off as soon as i turn it on. The blue appears for about a second and then dies.

I may try formatting the 3ds if nothing else works.
I haven't fully read this topic (yet) but one thing is clear: Deleting things and "Format System Memory" does usually not help.
↓↓↓↓↓

Did you use the built-in Windows formatting option for your SD? Neither exFAT nor NTFS will work in a 3DS so the built-in format dialog is only usable up to 32GB SDs. As already mentioned: Use third-party formatting tools.

[…]
Then you do not have a backup/failsafe boot.firm on CTRNAND.

Edit:
====
The part with not loading GodMode9 when holding (Start) on power on is pretty strange. If SD:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm exists and the buttons are fully working, it should load – even if there is some damage in the main OS.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
For that exactly reason I reccomend to you first do this:

@KleinesSinchen
I haven't fully read this topic (yet) but one thing is clear: Deleting things and "Format System Memory" does usually not help.
About that, I reccomended it to him, but only supposing a desperate measure situation (thinking about a possible problem with extended memory, as happen when a region changing is performed, and having in account that @Terran0va said that isn't a button related problem). But, yes, isn't a good option at all

Last edited by fmkid,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For that exactly reason I reccomend to you first do this:

About that, I reccomended that to him, but only supposing a desperate measure situation (thinking about a possible problem with extended memory, as happen when a region changing is performed, and having in account that @Terran0va said that isn't a button related problem). But, yes, isn't a good option at all
Ah. Okay. I now get it. Still the thing with GodMode9 not loading: That is not related to anything on the main OS and throwing away the user profile will not change that.

Before trying such a thing it is a good idea to perform a full backup of the SD and the NAND. Format System Memory deletes the SD content and makes the game saves unusable (yes, there is findKeyY but still).

I'm not against experiments but never recommend deleting stuff without backup.
===================

@Terran0va If you want to try Factory Reset, backup your NAND to a known good, h2testw checked SD and store NAND image and SD contents on your computer as well. Better safe than sorry.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought keyY.bin was the 0x900 to 0x090F in hex of a nand dump. I always dump that specifically in hex, and they're always the same regardless of firmware, so I assumed it was correct.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Terran0va

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Havent messed with my 3ds in a while, it's still doing this, but I've just decided to give up and use the safe mode to get into my 3ds.

Thanks guys.

20210327_094915.jpg

Terran0va

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey all, know it's been a while, and although this may sound VERY stupid, it did turn out that it was a loose start button (I assume loose because it's likely lying on the start switch underneath the start button that is causing it). Is there any way to fix it up or will I just need to live with ti?

Only recently figured it out because I'm a dumbass and finally opened my 3ds after a little over 5 months, and the start button was being really wonky (pausing when I didn't want, still opening the CFW on boot unless going into safe mode, ect).

Sheda

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'd also try a hardware test tool to check if the select button is stuck being pressed.

Hi there! I've encountered the problem you described. Is there any solution for it? Thank you in advance!
Post automatically merged:

Hi there! I've encountered the problem you described. Is there any solution for it? Thank you in advance!
After an hour of fidgeting, it's just enough to follow the instructions of Nintendo.

1. Turn the system off.
2. Remove any game cards, and disconnect the AC Adapter.
3. Turn the system screen-side down.
4. Using a clean, dry toothbrush, gently and thoroughly brush the area around the buttons.

Last edited by Sheda,

RubberDuck221

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've recently updated my NN3DS boot.firm file for the latest version of LumaCFW, but whenever I hit start to save settings, I get stuck and have no way to progress to my home menu.
View attachment 243316

For reference, I can move around my cursor and adjust settings just fine, it only freezes after I hit start to save.

This screen has been on my 3ds for the last 10 minutes and I dont know what's up.

I don't currently have my MicroSD>SD on hand for fixing this manually (if I have to do that), because I lent it to someone, but does anyone know why this is happening at the very least?

We updated my sister's Old3DS just fine.
Have you try selecting one of the options then press start? Like Show NAND or user string in the system setting option?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh