Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About a week or two ago, I hacked my 11.3 New 3DS XL by following 3ds.guide. Got everything done fine, updated to 11.4, and I tried out the CPU overclock feature in Hans in Pokemon X. That was on the first day, since then I've done nothing but play my purchased digital copies of Smash and MH4U.

Everything was fine until earlier, I was playing Smash online on my lunch break, and after a match I closed my 3DS without disconnecting from the internet or anything. I come home from work and open my 3DS, I have a black screen, with both LEDs still on. I hold power to reboot, go to open Monster Hunter, I get the 3DS logo and then "An error has occurred". I reboot, try Smash, same deal. Think it's my SD card, so I try Codename Steam, which I have physical copy of, and it crashes on boot.

I've since moved a9lh to my system and booted without an SD card, same issue persists when booting Codename Steam. Older games boot fine, such as digital Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, physical Kid Icarus Uprising, and DSiWare games.

I can cause a crash by going into settings and trying to update, by opening Pokemon Sun and opening the home menu, or by going to Nintendo DS settings, then backing out to the home menu.

I'm running Luma version 7.0.5, and I enabled the crash report thingy, I'll post a couple crashes below, and I can get more if need be.

crash 1

crash 2

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Did Luma3DS just drop support for non-a9lh(/SigHax) systems?
Edit: Not that I care. All my systems are a9lh.
The nightly confirms they did. Which is good, no need to keep old code. It's about time people start upgrading.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Corrected?" :unsure:
I made some changes to make it a little easier to understand for newcomers. You can read the changelog to see what was fixed, or read my post about it here:
v1.5 of my fork of Luma3DS Updater!

It's a couple of small changes and thought it would be fitting to post here. If people want me to make a new thread, I can.

* I removed the dev text and the commit version next to the latest stable. I've read where that was confusing people, thinking it was a developer version of Luma3DS instead of the latest stable version.
* I removed the Configuration file text, as that seemed useless to me.
* And I changed the text "Install normal version" to "Install stable version".
* Built-in app updater has been updated to check my fork for updates and should work.

The first bullet point probably needs to be explained a little more. There were two different versions of Luma3DS. One was the developer version for developers, and the other was for normal people to install. Luma3DS v6.3 merged those versions together. Since then, Luma Updater had said that the latest stable version was the developer version, when in fact it's not. I've sinced removed that text, in hopes that newcomers won't get confused and won't think they're installing a developer version of Luma3DS.

Wdxqh8L.png
vs
UsKdvcj.png

Download link: https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/releases/tag/v1.5

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is an updated version 1.5, has some fixes. See if with this version, your problem will continue.
What they're wanting is something that will automatically rename their arm9loaderhax.bin downloaded with Luma Updater to arm9loaderhax_si.bin, which Luma Updater (at least not my version) will never be updated to do so.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is just for the newest nightly, right? I cannot imagine menuhax support to be removed for the stable releases. Why should it be removed when it does not cause harm at all?
it's gone here, so it will not be in any future stable releases. it's also likely preparing for sighax (source/types.h, new line 64) by dropping older and outdated entry points to reduce the amount of code to maintain.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

artins90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am having problems trying to run Mario and Luigi RPG Paper mix in Japanese on my EU 3DS. The game was working fine until 2 system updates ago but now crashes on boot. I tried to reinstall it 3 times from different sources. Today I found out that Luma can output debug codes so I thought someone on here could make sense of it:

PID 0x00040000_00132600
REV 61496
AID 0x00040000_00132600
ADR 0x001B2D88
RSL 0xC8804471
Level -7
Summary 4
Module 17
Desc 113

Cyber-boy

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
Hello everyone!
In future updates, will it be possible to use the Internet browser without upgrading to 11.4? At the moment the browser does not work and requires a system update. In particular, the browser is needed to use Plex Media Server to watch 3D movies. Very useful and convenient thing.
Thanks for answers.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Hello everyone!
In future updates, will it be possible to use the Internet browser without upgrading to 11.4? At the moment the browser does not work and requires a system update. In particular, the browser is needed to use Plex Media Server to watch 3D movies. Very useful and convenient thing.
Thanks for answers.

I guess you could get the latest browser for 11.4 and region from 3DNUS

Reactions: Cyber-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have they own kids now that will pay them back for all the things they did to me, that's how it works, Karma.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell their kids about pawn shops
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol I still got mw2 open beta on this ps4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just recently picked up a n64 from a garage sell, and looking to mod it and add a HDMI port to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3548173115...044&customid=4f3038da73b61afddf7e5e90f4153856
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd like to find a power strip and HDMI selector built in 1 unit, so I can select which game system I want, and will switch to that hdmi, and power on that plug/power supply only, so don't have all game systems powered all the time, but can't find anything like. May just have to make something myself.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe start a kick starter page and sell them, yea right. Big N would prob C&D me, not anything Big N related, but just because that's what they do nowdays. Then come out with they own in a year or so.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nice. Which operating system are you installing?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, windows 10 and some linux distro like linux mint
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    dualbooth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yeah, I'd recommend having another OS just in-case you want to play games.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least Linux doesn't contain spyware than what Windows has.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz of lag?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No. Whenever you use the internet on Windows, Microsoft collects personal data and installs bloatware that isn't necessarily needed, such as Edge.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Speaking of which
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I recall @impeeza mentioned some trick about not having bloatware when installing windows where you set up your country to "world" or smh like that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I also recall my brother downloded a "non bloated" version of windows 11 on his pc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Why debloat? Why not embrace and enjoy my bloat?" - Gates
    +3
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: +1