Status
Not open for further replies.

solarnoise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said he had arm9, which means he's using an A9LH setup. Which means he can run CFW on sysNAND and does not need to use emuNAND. With A9LH, you don't need emuNAND//redNAND, you can have it if you want, but it's not exactly necessary, just optional.

Menuhax+redNAND//emuNAND users, should keep their sysNAND at 9.2 and not update, as they rely on 9.2 to boot into emuNAND.

Oh wow, okay... so I'm going to be following this guide tomorrow: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
In the end I'll be using A9LH plus Luma3ds... and won't need emuNAND?
And when people use the word "update"... do they mean update their CFW version? Or is that separate from the NAND version? I used to mod my PSP and in that scene, the CFW version was synonymous with your system version. 3DS seems more complicated though...

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm new to 3ds CFW and am a little confused... isn't the point of emunand that you update it, but keep your sysnand version at 9.2, and there's no risk playing online because your emunand version is up to date? Are you guys saying it's risky to play online from emunand?

No, however the 9.2 sysnand / updated emunand is the old cfw method and no longer necessary if you have a9lh. Just be absolutely sure you have a9lh. You can do so by removing the SD card from the 3DS, if it refuses to boot at all with the SD card removed then you have a9lh and can update sysnand provided you are in Luma cfw (which blocks access to where a9lh is installed to).

Last edited by nl255,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, okay... so I'm going to be following this guide tomorrow: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
In the end I'll be using A9LH plus Luma3ds... and won't need emuNAND?
And when people use the word "update"... do they mean update their CFW version? Or is that separate from the NAND version? I used to mod my PSP and in that scene, the CFW version was synonymous with your system version. 3DS seems more complicated though...
Yeah, following Plailect's guide will result in you being on a CFW updated sysNAND only setup.

When someone says to update your CFW, we mean just that. Update the CFW. When we say update the sysNAND//emuNAND//redNAND, we are talking about the system version in regards to the NAND, and not the CFW..

solarnoise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, following Plailect's guide will result in you being on a CFW updated sysNAND only setup.

When someone says to update your CFW, we mean just that. Update the CFW. When we say update the sysNAND//emuNAND//redNAND, we are talking about the system version in regards to the NAND, and not the CFW..

Great, thank you.

So if you're able to update the sysNAND at will, where are A9LH and the CFW stored? How do they not get wiped out or removed when updating NAND?

Edit: I just read the "Overview of steps" section on page 5 of the guide. Looks like A9LH goes into a "firm" part of the NAND... not sure what that is yet, but I'm assuming it remains constant even if the NAND version is updated.

Last edited by solarnoise,

Sumsquat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there!
This might be a very nooby question, and might be asked a lot.
Would it be possible to add some of NTR CFWs functions, as Nintendo could patch NTR with their next update if they update homemenu, iirc. So some kind of cheatengine, real-time save, "vsh menu"(that overlay menu with x+y combination, don't know the correct term for the 3DS). Anyway, thanks for this CFW and all the efforts for the scene!

Greetings!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there!
This might be a very nooby question, and might be asked a lot.
Would it be possible to add some of NTR CFWs functions, as Nintendo could patch NTR with their next update if they update homemenu, iirc. So some kind of cheatengine, real-time save, "vsh menu"(that overlay menu with x+y combination, don't know the correct term for the 3DS). Anyway, thanks for this CFW and all the efforts for the scene!

Greetings!
BootNTR is open source so it can be updated for new home menus

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Great, thank you.

So if you're able to update the sysNAND at will, where are A9LH and the CFW stored? How do they not get wiped out or removed when updating NAND?

Edit: I just read the "Overview of steps" section on page 5 of the guide. Looks like A9LH goes into a "firm" part of the NAND... not sure what that is yet, but I'm assuming it remains constant even if the NAND version is updated.
The exploit gets installed into firm 0 and firm 1 on the nand. It loads a payload off the sd card(norm cfw). The cfw's have write protections to block firm 0 and firm 1 from being overwritten when updating, thus saving a9lh.

pugsofwar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be possible (worthwhile/reasonable to implement?) to add an option to hijack the L+R combo on the home screen to launch FBI's QR scanner instead of the camera?

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Aurora Wright I noticed you updated the noscreeninit and the screeninit forks of a9lh. It talks about brick warnings in the github. Plailec guide was also updated to use your fork and with advise of how to use it. Is it ok to just update it with safe a9lh installer 2.0 and compiling latest commits for a9lh? or is there anything special to be done?

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When I launch activity log, it gets stuck on the loading screen. Same happens for friend list. Is it a known issue? What can I do? I'm on updated sysnand 10.7(USA) with A9LH and Luma3DS 5.4

Same here.
Waited for 10 minutes and nothing. Had to force shutdown.
Updated sysnand 11.0 EUR with A9LH and Luma3DS 5.5-dev.

Schlomo-3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi!

I'm trying to follow the Plailect guide at the moment with my JP region New 3DS, but I'm stuck at part 3, step 17 (where you're supposed to boot into RedNAND via Luma for the first time). Whenever I press start in Luma, I only get a black screen 99% of the times. The few times the Home Menu showed up, it always said "Sys 9.1..." in the settings instead of "Emu 9.1..." I must have tried a few dozen times by now, with different SD cards and different versions of Luma.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

To be clear: Luma is starting correctly from HBC and I see the Luma menu, so it's not about the bad boot rate per se. The problem is that nothing happens after I press start.

Last edited by Schlomo-3,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a little problem :/

Setup: N3DSXL EUR SysNand 11.x, using A9LH + Luma3DS (latest nightly)

When I want go to eshop, it ask me for update.
And when I want update in System Settings, after 5s, I have "Error occured. The update has failed. Your console will restart"

What I'm doing wrong?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have some questoins.

I will be doing the whole A9LH guide for Luma this weekend for my N3DS and I was wondering what are the pros/cons of JUST having an updated sysNAND (11.0) against a full sysnand+emunand setup?
I would really like to basically just have everything I currently have in my emunand in to my sysnand once I have A9LH working.
(This means games, updates, themes, homebrew apps as CIAs, emulators as CIAs, etc)

I usually don't even enter my sysnand at all and I just do everything in my emunand at the moment with Menuhax.
I would also like to know if having a downgraded System Settings in my sysnand (i used the MSET method initially, so I have 4.5 settings in my 9.0 N3DS) would affect anything for the downgrade/installation?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I have some questoins.

I will be doing the whole A9LH guide for Luma this weekend for my N3DS and I was wondering what are the pros/cons of JUST having an updated sysNAND (11.0) against a full sysnand+emunand setup?
I would really like to basically just have everything I currently have in my emunand in to my sysnand once I have A9LH working.
(This means games, updates, themes, homebrew apps as CIAs, emulators as CIAs, etc)

I usually don't even enter my sysnand at all and I just do everything in my emunand at the moment with Menuhax.
I would also like to know if having a downgraded System Settings in my sysnand (i used the MSET method initially, so I have 4.5 settings in my 9.0 N3DS) would affect anything for the downgrade/installation?

Well I don't know about the other stuff but as of right now the biggest disadvantage to going sysnand only is that you may lose the ability to use NTR once a new system update comes out. What I do is have an updated sysnand as per the guide, but instead of deleting emunand I injected my 9.2 nand backup into it and then used sysupdater to update it to 10.3 firmware.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a little problem :/

Setup: N3DSXL EUR SysNand 11.x, using A9LH + Luma3DS (latest nightly)

When I want go to eshop, it ask me for update.
And when I want update in System Settings, after 5s, I have "Error occured. The update has failed. Your console will restart"

What I'm doing wrong?
Idk as it works here with emunand no a9lh

GnK23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I have a question. Is it possible for future release of luma to support region changing eshop? Is there a way for luma to make eshop work for region changed units? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop doing drugs