Luma3DS chainloader menu

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by windhazard, Jan 18, 2017.

1. windhazard
    OP

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    Today I found a new update to the 3ds guide. It used to be renaming hourglass.bin to start_hourglass.bin and press start on boot to launch it.
    Now I don't have to rename the payload, instead just press start on boot and it's supposed to open the chainloader menu, which I can choose hourglass from.
    But pressing start on boot doesn't do anything. It just boot normally to homemenu. I'm on lastest ver of LumaCFW. What's wrong with my setup?

2. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    You need the latest commit of Luma, which is not yet included on the guide. So, in order for you to access hourglass9, you have to rename it to start_hourglass9.bin.

3. windhazard
    OP

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    The thing is, this chainloader menu is written in the guide, while not pointing to this release?

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    The latest release doesn't have the chainloader feature. The latest commit does.

Just help yourself to the latest commit build right here.
    https://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/

Last edited by zoogie, Jan 18, 2017
  5. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    It must have been an oversight. But eventually it will be fix for sure. For the moment, try renaming it to start_hourglass9.bin.

6. windhazard
    OP

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    Ok I just updated to the lastest hourly build with LumaUpdater and it's working like instructed. Thanks guys. No more remembering which key for which payload.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    So I downloaded the latest nightly and tested out for myself. It's interesting, although I would like to mention that Corbenik has had this feature for months now. I am glad to see Luma3DS is catching up to Corbenik.

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    That's what it is? I've noticed this since around late November or early December when I was dumping games with Decrypt9, I thought it was using a more recent update of that. I now have more of a reason to rename the start_Dec9 payload, because having that took me to the chainloader menu rather than Decrypt9 directly. The feature is still very interesting.

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Honestly i rather the "quickboot" hotkey older lumas have. I don't regularly use more than 2-3 payloads (E9,G9,H9) and directly booting them with one button was awesome...

crazy_p likes this.
  10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    It's still there, just that start basically is no longer one of those buttons. For instance running GodMode9 recently with up as the button, still work.