Luma, black screen on starting homebrew menu

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Purply, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Purply
    OP

Purply Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2016
    United States
    Hello, I'm having some probably stupid issues with accessing my homebrew menu. I used to be using rxtools and emunand on my O3DS, but the recent animal crossing update made that impossible. So, I used this tutorial http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-updating-from-rxtools-to-luma3ds.427735/ with menuhax to update to luma3ds, and it worked perfectly fine. My 3ds now coldboots into the emunand.

The issue I'm having is that the acnl save-dump I'd like to use is a homebrew only program and I no longer know how to access the homebrew menu. I tried installing the cia version of the hbl but it seems to get stuck on a black screen after starting up.

This tutorial https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/40kovo/tutorial_hex_editing_the_menuhax_payload_for/
    seems to match my issue really well, but I don't have a bootctr.3ds file in my SD card's root, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Also, I cannot seem to access the luma config menu, when I hold select on boot it just takes me to sysnand. Does anyone have any idea of why I'm getting a black screen when I start the HBL? or am I just gonna have to give up and get the A9LH.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    For a temporary solution, backup your current boot.3dsx and replace it with the original boot.3dsx from the homebrew launcher. Then you'll boot into the homebrew launcher by default and can do what you need to do, then can replace it back with the backup.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  3. Purply
    OP

Purply Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2016
    United States
    Thanks, that worked.

I'll keep searching for a more permanent solution tho. Certainly seems to be conficting things trying to use the boot.3dsx

4. ryougi

ryougi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    France
    Hello,

I had the same problem as you, after going from rxTools to Luma3DS.

I found a permanent solution myself :
    I removed HBL (it was an older version), then installed it again (here), it created a folder on my SD card : hblauncherloader. Inside, there is a .bin file equivalent of the version of your emunand 3DS (mine is OLD-11-2-0-35-EUR.bin). Then I followed the tutorial from reddit you linked :
    - you need to put the HBL 3dsx boot file (got mine here) on the root of the SD card in a 4 long caracter name (I named it bhbl.3dsx)
    - using HxD, you need to modify the bin file I mentionned before, you search inside the file for "boot.3dsx" (should have only 1 result), then you need to modify the "boot" string name with the one you used for the 3dsx HBL launcher (so modify from "boot" to "bhbl" in my case).
    - Don't forget to save !

Tada, it should be good (it worked in my case).
    I hope it works for you.

Editting because I realized something :
    You have this problem because you still use menuhax. I switched to arm9loaderhax and I don't have this problem anymore. You should do the same, it is better than menuhax (you can't use Luma3DS' payload with menuhax, something I learnt yesterday...). I followed this guide from beginning to end.
    After switching to arm9loaderhax, you should delete the folder hblauncherloader and the file bhbl.3dsx (since it's useless) then reinstall the homebrew launcher with its CIA.

Last edited by ryougi, Nov 24, 2016
    Purply and Quantumcat like this.
  5. Purply
    OP

Purply Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2016
    United States
    hey, sorry for the late reply but thanks for the info on luma and menuhax. I'm surprised that's not mentioned more often, I had no idea that there were issues there. Anyway, I spent a while on HxD trying to get that to work and it never did, so I just went ahead and got a9lh set up and moved my emunand to sysnand. Everything works now, thanks again!