Low MenuHax success rate

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lucifer666, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    In my experience with both my NA 3DS XL and my JP New 3DS, exploits have always seemed to have a low success rate.

On my O3DS XL I would use spiderhax to boot Gateway and it gets to the GW splash screen 60% of the time. Often it would make it to the Gateway screen then load GW Mode emuNAND if I don't hold L, after which it fails and gets stuck on a black screen. What works every time is if I hold L then manually select "Boot Gateway Mode", which is odd.

On my N3DS I have gone from OoThax to DSProfile hax and now to Menuhax and it's the same, Gateway often fails to load, especially if I don't hold L and select GW mode myself.

Now the problem appears not just in GW, but menuhax, which I have set to load the HB Launcher. A lot of the time I'm left on the splash screen without it flashing yellow to actually get to the HB Launcher. When I am in the launcher I then have the Gateway issue when starting up Gateway through the HB Launcher.

Seems like a huge hassle to try and actually turn my system on to play, if you ask me. Why is this happening more frequently to me on both systems than normal, and what can be done to prevent it?

Please no responses along the lines of "Why are you using brickwait"/"A9LH master race". A9LH is great but not something I'm interested in right now, and menuhax does the job if I can stop this apparently not-so-common issue from happening.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    If you persist to use menuhax anyway, the only solution is to keep trying until it works :P

gnmmarechal likes this.
  3. Ricken

Ricken So long, and goodnite / So long, not goodnite

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    Dumb luck

gnmmarechal likes this.
  4. x_master_1234

x_master_1234 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    United States
    Try some methods to improve success rate, like lesshax payload :)

5. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I thought the same thing about a9lh until I installed it

Have you tried reinstalling the menuhax payload? I went from 40% boot rate to 80% boot rate when I reinstalled it!

6. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    So did everyone...

7. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    I have a similar setup and had the same problem, less hax + making sure im using the latest files for GW etc solved it. I have a 9/10 boot rate now but if i play a DS game or GBA VC the boot rate drops to 5/10 for a while.

8. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    I was in the store trying to get a Pokémon event. Had to reboot 4 times in a row, got so mad, then decided to install a9lh and come back. No regrets.

9. wiiNinja

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    For me, I switched my SD and my boot rate got worse. Same as you, if I held "L" and manually select a boot, it boots fine, but if let alone to boot automatically, it gets stuck often.

I experimented a little and found something that helped: I use CtrBootManager, and just by playing around with the "timeout" and ""autobootfix" parameters in the "boot.cfg" file, I was able to get my N3DS to boot almost every time. My current settings for those two params:

timeout = 2
    autobootfix = 6

Just sharing my experience.

Lucifer666 likes this.
  10. ishygdaft

ishygdaft A mystery wrapped in an enigma

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    I know you don't wanna read it but hell man, downgrading to 9.2 is the most dangerous thing you do. If you can follow a guide like last time you might as well get 100% boot rate, plus the recovery tools, plus the fast boot.

11. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Lesshax is what i use and i have very little issues with bootup. Just every once in a while.

x_master_1234 likes this.
  12. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    It's just bad luck. I put CFW on my old 3DS that was already 9.2 and the boot rate directly into Luma is low. A9LH is really the only way to be more successful, however the amount of work going into it is too much for me.

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    There is lesshax. I mean, MenuHAX is just well known for having poor bootrate.
    I am going to be honest, there's reason why everyone is on the nuts of A9LH, because it's just better.

x_master_1234 and VinsCool like this.
  14. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    The only thing stopping yourself from a better bootrate is yourself... Menuhax will always have a ~50% bootrate.
    You ask for any way to get a better bootrate, but then say you're not interested in a9lh.
    The point of a9lh is a better bootrate. Why ask for a solution when you turn away the one you get...?

Seriel likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    A lot of people think someone might actually keep working on MenuHAX. When the truth is, we a community have moved on and no one wants to cling to Menuhax anymore.

16. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    In the menuhax age did people update MSET?
    Nope.

In the a9lh age are people updating menuhax?
    Nope.

Salamencizer and Swiftloke like this.
  17. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    There's much, much more to a9lh than a better boot rate... Things like Godmode9 are possible with it... And much more

18. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    The thing that sold it for me is the boot that looks exactly like stock but has cfw running <3

LinkSoraZelda likes this.
  19. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    It's very common actually. Menuhax just has a low success rate, and that's normal. Just join the #A9lhmasterrace.

Seriel likes this.
  20. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    I know, but I was staying on the topic of OP.